EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Project Toyota Yaris III 2012 Engine 1KR-FE (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/project-toyota-yaris-iii-2012-engine-1kr-fe-38077.html)

ralieco 12-30-2019 02:37 PM

Project Toyota Yaris III 2012 Engine 1KR-FE

Hello

Questions and introduction to the mods of an interesting car and design.

Has anyone with a 6-speed gearbox for 1.0 engine met or how to do such a thing from which the gearbox will fit on how much plug & play and how much conversion.

I would like to install a start stop system for this car or what to do it with.

Is there an electro mechanic on the forum? I wanted to run the cruise control, I set up the cruise control handle, there are sensors, cables, but no hints are welcome.

I intend to set up an LPG installation for me who will recommend.

How to reduce the warm-up time of the engine.

ralieco 12-31-2019 02:56 AM

We already have 42 visits

How are projects to be developed as soon as patents are drawn

Joggernot 12-31-2019 08:00 AM

The English in your post makes no sense. Perhaps there is a forum in your native language where you would be more successful.

aardvarcus 12-31-2019 10:43 AM

Let me see if I follow. You want to transplant a 1KR-FE engine into a 2012 Prius mated to a 6 speed manual gearbox? I am assuming you are not in the U.S. since you are referencing international motors, and that you understand the emissions and titling issues that may arise in your country of residence.

I have not done hours of extensive research on your behalf, so my answers are based off of my past experience with other U.S. Toyota engines (e.g. 1ZZ-FE, 2ZZ-GE, 2TR-FE). Most likely very little from the Prius is going to help you in terms of engine management, e.g. cruise, throttle, sensors, etcetera. I would personally only consider this swap if I had access to a complete donor vehicle with the 1KR-FE powertrain, and swap everything over, including ECU, cruise stalks, exhaust sensors, etcetera. I would also want to be a competent welder to move or relocate brackets. I would attempt to find a donor vehicle that used dimensionally the same front suspension components as the Prius, hopefully mixing and matching stock parts would eliminate the need for custom machining.

By start-stop I assume you mean a killswitch. Do a search.
I have transplanted electro-mechanical cruise control units, but I am assuming your engine is drive by wire, e.g. no throttle cable, so that is why I recommend complete swapping of all electronics.

LPG prices must be better where you are at, around here it is not significantly cheaper than gasoline per BTU. CNG pricing around here is better, but more expensive to set up due to high pressure tanks.

Warm up time can be accomplished with a vacuum insulated coolant storage tank or an exhaust based intake heater, which can be repurposed off of another vehicle.

I am assuming your talk of patents is a language barrier. Most of the ideas discussed on this site are already patented.

Lemmy 12-31-2019 03:44 PM

I know those engines well. Brilliant bits of kit, very robust if cared for. With skill they will give 70+ imperial MPG without any mods, but you've got to work for it.

I wouldn't mess around with cruise. It's not the best for economy, and these motors don't have much in the way or torque which is liable to make cruise of very limited utility. The engine uses a cable throttle control, so there may be universal kits available that could be pressed into action if you really want to do it.

Warm up time...some kind of electric grill block, that opens when the engine us up to temp would be my plan. If you're really keen you could make it thermostatic.

I'd be looking at aero optimisation including underbody, high tyre pressures, and ensuring the engine is in tip top order, which I reckon will take you to 80MPG imperial with a bit of luck and a following breeze. With such an economical engine already you would need to run 50 or 60,000 miles on LPG alone to even break even on the cost of the installation, so economically that's a dead end, at least with LPG prices here it would be (a little over half that of petrol).