EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Properly drainning my trans? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/properly-drainning-my-trans-13975.html)

hat_man 07-24-2010 01:22 PM

Properly drainning my trans?

Hello everyone,

I am going to change out my trans fluid to a synthetic type and am wondering how to properly drain the darn thing. I have a 97 Ford Ranger 5 speed manual w/OD. (M5OD ?) Now there is some question as to it already having synthetic in it because supposedly Ford switched from Mercon ATF (mine does take the ATF) to Mercon V (which is synthetic) in 1997. Doesn't really matter because I have 175k miles on it and it needs changed anyhow.

My question is how can I effectively get all (or as much as possible) of the old fluid out. What the "shops" are charging for a power flush is outrageous ($125+) and I would rather do it myself. If I just start pushing new fluid in the top, would this be akin to a "low power" flush?

As a second question: What would you forums regulars recommend for new fluid? I am considering the Mercon synthetic, mainly because Ford did make it for their trans. or Royal Purple ATF. I have heard some good things about the RP products. Unless there are any better choices that I haven't heard of yet.

Thanks for all your advice.

Phantom 07-25-2010 11:26 PM

I would go with what ever in the newest ATF oil that you use. Royal Purple ATF I'm not sure about you should do research but i thought that most of there stuff was for performance and to be changed out often I could be wrong about that.

I'm not exactly sure how it the draining is performed on your turck but usually one would loosen the bolts on the trans pan and take the back bolts with the car tilted let the oil drain remove and replace the trans filter then refill. You will probably want to the similar to the rear diff.

hat_man 07-27-2010 11:33 AM

Thanks for the reply. I had planned on putting the truck on ramps to give it a tilt. :thumbup: I had just hoped that there were some little tricks that I might not have known about. I had heard that without doing a "power flush" that you could only get 70%-80% of the fluid out. I just thought the regulars here or some more mechanically inclined folks might chime in with ideas about getting better results. You know, like trying to help out the newbie who doesn't have all the smarts, but is trying to find a way to increase his mileage on little $.

Thanks again Phantom

bhazard 07-27-2010 12:02 PM

I wouldnt worry too much about not getting all the fluid out of a manual. They drain pretty well compared to an auto.

I've heard GM/Pennzoil Synchromesh is about the best manual trans fluid you can get. The Pennzoil variety is $7.49 a quart at advance.

hat_man 07-27-2010 12:22 PM

Thanks bhazard. Ford used ATF in mine and not working on cars for a living I don't know about using anything but ATF in there. Ford makes a Synthetic ATF and I think that's the way I'm leaning right now. Unless there is something better out there I don't know of yet.

I had a bad experience with Pennziol motor oil (not syth.) some years ago and it kind of left a bad taste in my mouth for their products. Maybe I should look at them again?

Thanks again.

some_other_dave 07-27-2010 01:37 PM

ATF is much thinner than gear oil, do not use the Syncromesh in a transmission that is spec'ed for ATF!

-soD

aburk4 07-27-2010 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by some_other_dave (Post 185766)
ATF is much thinner than gear oil, do not use the Syncromesh in a transmission that is spec'ed for ATF!

-soD

What he said! Never put ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) in a manual transmission! You should be using just 10W-30 motor oil or something similar.

ShadeTreeMech 07-27-2010 03:01 PM

I got this from this ford truck forum. There is also a video on replacing trans oil on YouTube; it's for a Honda transaxle, but move the shape of the parts around, and it's the same exact thing you'll be encountering. It sounds pretty typical of a manual transmission, and I would recommend Royal Purple; from all I've heard, people swear by them, and they stand by their product.

Where he mentions a kerosene pump, a fuel siphon pump would serve the same purpose.

Quote:

Changing Fluid In M5OD 5 Speed Manual Transmission
Quote:

I'm typing this up to let you guys know what and what not to do when changing the fluid in your M5OD transmission.I just changed mine this afternoon and replaced it with Mercon V ATF.It shifts smoother than ever.So,I'm going to give you some tips on the easy way of doing things.

Of course,the fill and drain taps on the transmission are on the driver's side.So,get on your creeper and crawl under.First of all,you'll need the following to do this the easy way:

1) Ratchet fitted with a 15/16" socket.
2) Drain Pan
3) 5 quarts of ATF that you choose. (Personally,I would get the Mercon V,but that' up to you).
4) Creeper
5) Kerosene Hand Pump

Now that you're under the truck,slide your oil drain pan under with you,placing it under the drain tap.Now,take your ratchet and loosen the fill plug.If it's adequately filled,fluid should run out of that hole once the plug is removed.Second,take out the drain plug.Let it drain until it stops dripping.While it's doing that,you're going to want to inspect the magnet at the tip of the drain plug.There will probably be a few metal shavings on it,along with some 'sludge',so just clean it off and set it aside.

Now,when the drain stops dripping,reinstall the drain plug,tightening only a little over hand tight.Just enough to make sure that it doesn't leak.Now..From here on,you're going to want your fill plug close at hand.Now,take your first quart of ATF and take the cap off.The Kerosene Pump that I mentioned is available at Wal-Mart in the heater section.If you can't find it,a WM employee will be glad to assist you http://images.ford-trucks.com/forums.../happy0161.gif .It's basically a rigid plastic tube on one end with a hand pump at the top.Then,there's a flexible plastic hose coming from the pump.This is how you're going to get your fluid from the bottle to the transmission without spilling a drop...Hopefully.Insert the flexible hose into the fill tap of the transmission and the rigid end into the bottle of fluid.Then,start pumping.The fluid should transfer from the bottle to the transmission with no problems.

I believe that my M5OD held around 3 quarts.But,I would at least get 4 when I went to the parts store,just in case.If I were you,I would get 5 just to be safe,especially if this is your only vehicle.When the transmission is considered 'full',fluid will be running out of the fill tap.At that instant,remove the hose and screw in the plug.Tighten it the same as you did the drain plug.Then,recheck both plugs.

CONGRATULATIONS!! You've just changed your M5OD Transmission Fluid!!

I hope this helps.Sorry this is so long,but I wanted to help as much as possible.

aburk4 07-27-2010 04:02 PM

Ok. Well it appears you have done the appropriate research for the transmission flush on your vehicle.

Good luck. :)