EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Proud new owner of a GE motor (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/proud-new-owner-ge-motor-12774.html)

olcaddy 03-28-2010 11:01 PM

Proud new owner of a GE motor

1 Attachment(s)
Well I've been thinking of converting my Geo storm or some other vehicle for some time now and this weekend I was at an auction and had the opportunity to get a good sized DC motor for $125 so I took it. It even came with some nice gov't invoice stating a cost of $4.5k.

The outer diameter is around 12" and overall length of 16" the invoice says it weighs 150 lb, i believe it. I've attached a pic of the name plate. Pertinant info on it are
Winding: series
Amps: 268
HP: 10.29
RPM: 1300
It looks like it may be rated to 48V too.

So, from what I've lurked this seems fairly similar to the 48V fork lift motors. So i should be able to over volt this right up to and above 100V right? I'll be tearing it open to get a look at the winding this week hopefully.

Anyone got an experience with something like this? Any way to know if this nameplate is for always on duty cycle?

Thanks Guys

chuckm 03-29-2010 11:50 AM

Looks like it uses class H insulation, which is good in this application. Here is a link to some generic info on GE motors. I'd honestly just call GE and ask their technical services folks some questions.

The OFC enclosure, if I'm remembering it correctly, means Open Fan Cooled (it isn't a common abbreviation, see next link). Ideally, you'd want TEFC or totally enclosed fan cooled, IP55 (washdown) or something similar (see "Motor Enclosures" at this link). Basically, the risk of an open motor enclosure is exposure to water.

vpoppv 03-29-2010 05:37 PM

Awesome! I'm jealous.....

olcaddy 04-03-2010 03:37 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the info Chuck. I'm attaching a few more photos. Looks like I've got four pairs of large brushes. Is the motor diameter I keep seeing the outer dimension? Making this an 11"

I jumper cabled it up to 12V and she came alive. Pretty awesome. This looks to have been never used. What to you think?

In getting more serious about my conversion plans I'm getting a little concerned that i won't be able to convert the Geo. Right now it is the car we use for hauling and cutting the range much will be problematic. I still really want to do a conversion and I think i would be very happy with a motorcycle.

Unfortunately that means i don't have any thing for the conversion (this motors to big eh). I plan to go the way of the OSMC. Finding a donor bike should be pretty easy. I need a motor, then is just fit all the batteries I can on it. I should have access to a welder also.

What do you think this motor is worth as a means of funding a motorcycle conversion?

Thanks, Enjoy the photos