EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   Pulse and Glide in a 1997 Toyota Avensis Auto (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/pulse-glide-1997-toyota-avensis-auto-14010.html)

320touring 07-27-2010 08:17 AM

Pulse and Glide in a 1997 Toyota Avensis Auto

Hi,

At the moment i'm searching for a TDI car to hypermile, and my current runabout is a

1997 Toyota Avensis 2.0 Auto (3speed!!!)

Can I "Pulse and Glide" with the auto transmission (i.e cruising down to lower target speed with engine IDLING and gbox in neutral)?

The car seems to roll pretty well in neutral, and takes a relatively long time to drop from 60mph to 40mph.

I'm currently setting a benchmark tank for it without P&G but would be interested in trying it!

Answers on a postcard...

Thanks

Neil

320touring 07-27-2010 08:20 AM

Meant to say, my daily commute is 12 miles each way, and involves approx

2 miles town driving (0-30mph possible stop/start)

9 miles 60mph single carriage way with Roundabouts to slow down/stop for.. currently coasting down for them

1 mile dual carriage way 70mph limit

Daox 07-27-2010 08:22 AM

There shouldn't be any problems doing this Neil. Be aware its not really ideal to pulse with an auto transmission just because an ideal pulse is high engine load and low rpms. An auto trans doesn't allow both of these conditions, so you'll have to balance them. Also, when shifting back into drive, it will probably be necessary to try and rev match the engine so you don't get a jerk when the transmission engages.

320touring 07-27-2010 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 185705)
There shouldn't be any problems doing this Neil. Be aware its not really ideal to pulse with an auto transmission just because an ideal pulse is high engine load and low rpms. An auto trans doesn't allow both of these conditions, so you'll have to balance them. Also, when shifting back into drive, it will probably be necessary to try and rev match the engine so you don't get a jerk when the transmission engages.

thanks very much for the info

I see what you mean about the engine load vs revs.

Would i be better to concentrate on coasting in neutral with the lump at idle? I have several points on the commute that could allow me to coast for 2-4 tenths of a mile at idle in neutral.

Is that more efficient than coasting down with the car in gear?

Cheers

Daox 07-27-2010 01:05 PM

Yes, coasting in neutral will always be more efficient than costing in gear.

aburk4 07-27-2010 04:28 PM

I agree with Daox. Just make sure to rev match when going from N to D and watch the engine load to avoid the downshift. And keep that engine running while in N if your Toyota isn't flat-towable.

Thanks and good luck. :D

320touring 07-28-2010 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aburk4 (Post 185796)
I agree with Daox. Just make sure to rev match when going from N to D and watch the engine load to avoid the downshift. And keep that engine running while in N if your Toyota isn't flat-towable.

Thanks and good luck. :D

Thanks!

I've got a baseline tank now- so can start trying the coasting where possible.

Baseline was

418.8 miles to 51.73 L

giving 30.63mpg US or 36.77mpg UK:)