Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2009, 08:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Worst City gas mileage ever

Just filled up today and got my worst gas mileage ever! 19.5MPG city!

That’s with a 1989 Toyota Camry 4 cylinder Automatic.

And I was using several hypermiling techniques too.

My average one way drive is only 2 miles, so my mileage has never been very good. Been averaging 21-22MPG city... still pretty terrible for a 4 banger, and driving conservatively. Pulsing and gliding when I can.

I do leave my AC on 1/2 the time because its just so darn hot outside. 110F is pretty typical during the summer!

Question for you guys. My daily commute is about 4 miles. I can either go through the city all those 4 miles, or I can do 2 miles freeway and 2 miles city. What would be more economical?

On the highway, my best MPG is about 30MPG.

I'm tempted just to buy a new car! These numbers are frustrating!

Oh and clean oil, fresh air filter, tires at 32psi, spark plugs checked 10k ago. Ran several fuel cleaners through it, and a bottle of seafoam in the oil / gas / break booster. Still sucky gas mileage.

I've read of people in the same car getting 26-28 city and 35-40 highway... Those numbers seem impossible!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-16-2009, 08:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
I would be on the highway as much as possible if it doesn't increase overall fuel consumption
Old 08-16-2009, 09:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
I would be on the highway as much as possible if it doesn't increase overall fuel consumption
The question is though is it worthwhile accelerating up to 60MPH for just 1 mile, then there is a 30MPH offramp onto another freeway that I'm on for 1.5 miles, and again I need to accelerate up to 60MPG. The one thing nice though is the offramp is long and downhill so I can usually end up gliding about 3/4 mile.

Also thank God I have a motorcycle too that gets a pretty consistant 60-70MG around town. But I can't ride it to work everyday, because sometimes I have to carry a few things in my car to work.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
What is the mileage once the woman gets hot?

EDIT: haha I meant engine, instead of woman. Not sure how I messed that up.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonMPG View Post
What is the mileage once the woman gets hot?

EDIT: haha I meant engine, instead of woman. Not sure how I messed that up.
What are you talking about?
Old 08-16-2009, 09:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
I wouldn't even drive a car for two miles. I'd walk it. Except that it's 110º. For that, I might ride a bicycle, or take the bus. It sounds really stupid to me to drive a car regularly on a mere two mile drive.

Buying a new car isn't going to improve the situation. An electric bicycle - that's the ticket.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
Old 08-16-2009, 09:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonck08 View Post
1989 Toyota Camry 4 cylinder Automatic.
... Pulsing and gliding when I can.
How exactly are you P&Ging?

I'd be inclined to suggest working on the basics before working on P&G, particularly in an automatic (you may be damaging it if you're coasting with the engine off).

Quote:
I'm tempted just to buy a new car! These numbers are frustrating!
Biggest piece of advice: get instrumentation. ScanGauge is obviously not an option, but an MPGuino is. Way cheaper than a new car, too!

Quote:
I've read of people in the same car getting 26-28 city and 35-40 highway... Those numbers seem impossible!
Not impossible, but depends on the details. One person's "city" environment is not everyone else's.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 08-16-2009, 09:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
I wouldn't even drive a car for two miles. I'd walk it. Except that it's 110º. For that, I might ride a bicycle, or take the bus. It sounds really stupid to me to drive a car regularly on a mere two mile drive.

Buying a new car isn't going to improve the situation. An electric bicycle - that's the ticket.
Haha… you live in the bay area. Here mass transit is a joke. There are busses that go a couple places and take off every 30 minutes. Part of my job involves carrying a guitar and amp around. That’s 60lbs of gear. No way in hell I’m going to walk around with that stuff in 110 heat. Walking is usually not an option for me. Riding my motorcycle is an option, and I do it a couple days a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
How exactly are you P&Ging?

I'd be inclined to suggest working on the basics before working on P&G, particularly in an automatic (you may be damaging it if you're coasting with the engine off).

Biggest piece of advice: get instrumentation. ScanGauge is obviously not an option, but an MPGuino is. Way cheaper than a new car, too!

Not impossible, but depends on the details. One person's "city" environment is not everyone else's.
I guess by I’m not really P&G’ing just Gliding when I can. If I observe a red light in front of me then I’ll glide. I don’t turn the engine off ever.

MPGuino looks interesting… I didn’t know there was such a thing that could work on older cars like mine that are not all computerized.

Any suggestions on where to buy one? I googled it and they seem like there only $39!
Old 08-16-2009, 11:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

no nickname , it's just a car - '04 volkswagen golf tdi
you should try different brands of fuel
try to stick with fuels listed here
Top Tier Gasoline
you will find a significant difference between fuel your car likes and fuel it does not like , the car will tell you IF you keep detailed fuel mileage records.

bring your tire pressure up closer to 40 psi cold after verifying your max pressure is over 40psi

walk around the car after you arrive and touch the back of your hand to all 4 wheels near the lug nuts
approach the wheel slowly so you do not get a new tattoo ....if one is very hot ....
none of the wheels should be warmer than about the hot water in a water pipe .
front wheels will be warmer than rear but
if any wheel feels significantly hotter than the others .
find out why , could be a dragging brake or wheel bearing, which will frak up your mileage in a big way
Old 08-17-2009, 12:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

mwebb. I always use Cheveron gas, and I've done so for the past aprox, 5,000 miles.

My tires are rated at 35PSI max, and thats what I have them pumped up to right now.

Reply  Post New Thread