EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   Pulse & Glide vs maintaining constant speed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/pulse-glide-vs-maintaining-constant-speed-22986.html)

Mr_cracker 08-20-2012 02:18 AM

Pulse & Glide vs maintaining constant speed

Hello everyone, this is my first post.

I own a 2010 1.8L AT Chevy Cruze.

I'm new to hyper-milling so i wanted to know what would be more efficient?

a) Accelerating to say 60 mph and gliding to 45 or 50 mph without shifting to Neutral (i don't want to wear out the transmission)

OR

b) Maintaining a constant speed of 60 mph

Quezacotl 08-20-2012 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_cracker (Post 322595)
a) Accelerating to say 60 mph and gliding to 45 or 50 mph without shifting to Neutral (i don't want to wear out the transmission)

You dont need to shift to neutral, use clutch fully depressed to run in neutral :)

serialk11r 08-20-2012 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quezacotl (Post 322609)
You dont need to shift to neutral, use clutch fully depressed to run in neutral :)

Good luck pressing the clutch in on an automatic. I hear it's pretty hard.

euromodder 08-20-2012 07:03 AM

Welcome to ecomodder.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_cracker (Post 322595)
I'm new to hyper-milling so i wanted to know what would be more efficient?
b) Maintaining a constant speed of 60 mph

If you don't want to shift into neutral, the constant speed is most likely better.

That is, if the transmission doesn't have a coasting feature built in.

California98Civic 08-20-2012 07:49 AM

I think pulse and glide with an AT is really tricky, especially without an engine load readout. The car will want to switch gears when you try for an 80% load pulse, no? What I do with an AT is steady-state cruising. I only use neutral when cresting hills, because being in gear would slow the car excessively. I do a lot of engine braking, shifting to a higher gear if the selector allows it so that I can get full advantage of the deceleration fuel cut-off mode.

UltArc 08-20-2012 10:13 AM

When I drive my wifes automatic suv, I usually coast in gear at hills, going down I accelerate, up I use little to no throttle. I know some people exercise the right to drive as slow as they want, but out here people are crazy. So I let myself drop to the speed limit, or a few under, and then just mainain until the next hill. speeding, I speed as much as possible without getting a ticket, so when I come to a hill, I have room to drop.

In older cars, it was way more efficient to coast in nuetral than in gear, but it seems that is not exactly 100% confirmed anymore.

Not getting into a heated debate, but now a days autos typically are rated higher than standards, so surely there are improvements or changes going on.

I can't help but wonder what M C thinks when he says "I Have an auto trans, help me" amd the first response is "press the clutch" lol

Mr_cracker 08-20-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by euromodder (Post 322631)

If you don't want to shift into neutral, the constant speed is most likely better.

That is, if the transmission doesn't have a coasting feature built in.

There's no ECO button on the dash if that's what you are referring to; but i have noticed the transmission always tries to be in the highest gear possible, if i can manage to pulse & glide without downshifting would it be worth it?

Mr_cracker 08-20-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by California98Civic (Post 322636)
I think pulse and glide with an AT is really tricky, especially without an engine load readout. The car will want to switch gears when you try for an 80% load pulse, no?

I haven't tried it yet, but if i manage to stay in the highest gear while pulsing & gliding would it be worth it? or am i just better off maintaining a constant speed?

California98Civic 08-20-2012 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_cracker (Post 322680)
if i can manage to pulse & glide without downshifting would it be worth it?

Maybe, but maybe not. The best approach is not to take anyone's word for it but rather to test. Get an UltraGauge or a ScanGauge that will show you real time data on engine load as you accelerate, do some ABA test, and find out. You will possibly teach something to EM's users. The UltraGauge is pretty cheap (70$) and it will pay for itself soon in showing you the benefit of all sorts of techniques.

3-Wheeler 08-20-2012 01:20 PM

Honda Insight Example

Hi,

I have a 2000 MT Honda Insight, and it's no contest on which method gives better mileage, with the following conditions:

Use this technique only on backroads
Average speed is 35 mph or less
Ambient outside temp is 90F or above
No wind, and flat roads
The Honda engine has lean burn capability at low throttle settings

Straight-line driving: max mpg is 120 or so, at 35 mph
P&G; 35 to 15 mph: max mpg is over 150 (pegs display)

Universities use this same P&G method to achieve mpg readings of over 2000 and higher. Slow speeds and lot's of engine off coasting.

Hope this helps, Jim.