EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModder Blog Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodder-blog-discussion.html)
-   -   Pulse and Glide Your Prius for Super Fuel Economy (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/pulse-glide-your-prius-super-fuel-economy-9630.html)

SVOboy 08-12-2009 03:00 PM

Pulse and Glide Your Prius for Super Fuel Economy

Ever wondered what the difference between the average driver struggling to beat the EPA in their Prius and the ecodrivers getting 80 mpg is? One of the keys is a technique called “Pulse & Glide.”The specifics of pulse & glide on the Prius are covered in the above video, but to summarize, the technique has [...]Related posts:
  1. Ford Upgrades Trucks for “Super Fuel Economy”
  2. 100+ Hypermiling / Fuel Economy Tips
  3. MPGuino: Open-source, DIY Fuel Economy Instrumentation for under $50

More...

Matt Herring 08-12-2009 03:23 PM

Great vid...and love the music too! Good to finally see Doc Willie in person (or by video anyway)...have followed his exploits quite a bit.

I understand the vid was a basic pulse and glide tutorial and I'll only add one nugget that might bear even higher mpg. Depending on terrain I sometimes will pulse to 42...let the engine braking take it under 41 where ICE shuts off and then neutral coast down a hill to 45-50 mph. This eliminates engine braking and extends the coast by as much as 25-50% vs. dragging the mph down using engine braking.

The other opinion on neutral coasting is that it does not allow for regen to the battery which is essential to keep SOC high enough to drive in ICE efficiently when needed. I only using neutral coasting/EV mode when I know that my use of it will not significantly drain the battery and also that the upcoming route and use of ICE will effectively regen the battery.

I do not use neutral coast all of the time (like in stop and go traffic when some braking/ICE coasting can be used to charge the battery) but I do like to use it when I know I can recoup the energy loss without causing ICE to overwork when it is needed. At 60-70% SOC I have no qualms about using neutral coast for a stretch of road (preferably downhill when others would generally use ICE coast and not glide as far as me).

Just my two cents!

SVOboy 08-12-2009 04:22 PM

God points! I really wish I had more time to play with a prius myself so I could have a more exacting knowledge of these things :)

Matt Herring 08-12-2009 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 121034)
God points! I really wish I had more time to play with a prius myself so I could have a more exacting knowledge of these things :)

Maybe I'll let you take the buggy for a ride when we are in Fonda! :turtle:

SVOboy 08-12-2009 05:10 PM

Mwahaha, I'd love to!

Wonderboy 08-12-2009 10:39 PM

Not to take the focus off the real subject of the video here... but I don't think I've ever been seen on EM before. Right at 0:23 you can see a creepy guy with sunglasses watching from a batmobile-esque car next to the enterprise...that's what I look like. ;)

SVOboy 08-12-2009 10:44 PM

Haha, creepy indeed!

Matt Herring 08-13-2009 12:48 PM

Wonderboy you should have shouted something out randomly so you had a speaking part in the movie...could have got a credit in the film and possibly some points ($$$) when it goes to the big screen!