EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   pulse and guide question - acceleration and hills (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/pulse-guide-question-acceleration-hills-21831.html)

twoodcc 05-08-2012 06:34 PM

pulse and guide question - acceleration and hills

i have a 2010 toyota 4runner V6 (auto) and i'm just starting to try P&G. i have a scangauge in there as well. my main concerns are:

1. accelerating - should i slowly get up to speed i want to go, and then P&G? or go a little faster, still smooth, and then P&G? the truck has a little green eco light, and i usually try to keep the green light on as much as possible, but i'm beginning to think i should just go faster (over 2,000 rpm) and get up to speed and then P&G.

also, when pulsing, how fast should i go? again i try to keep the green light on.

2. can you P&G on hills? i don't have really steep hills, but i do have some longer hills on my daily drive. can you P&G up a hill? let's say i'm trying to get to 50 mph, i gotta get up to speed before gliding, so i gotta get to 55 mph and then glide, and then repeat at 45 mph?

sorry for all the questions, but on my ride to work this morning i got 23.7 by driving like grandma. i tried P&G on my way back and got 24.3. i really think i could have gotten the same by just driving like grandma again to be honest, as i think i normally get better mpg on the way home.

thanks in advance

JRMichler 05-08-2012 08:31 PM

Scangauge is your friend. Try different driving techniques and find out what gives you the best mileage.

My truck gets better mileage when I step on it and shift at 2500 RPM than if I accelerate like a grandma. I keep up with traffic doing that, so don't annoy others.

California98Civic 05-08-2012 08:40 PM

Most cars seem to like an 80% load during acceleration, which is brisk but not jackrabbit. Get up to speed maintaining that load % and then glide. Most people do 10-15mph pulse/glide cycles.

twoodcc 05-08-2012 08:56 PM

thanks for the replies :)

yeah i plan to use my scangauge and see what works best. will the scangauge tell me the load percentage? i sometimes was TPS and try to keep it in low 20s while accelerating

California98Civic 05-09-2012 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twoodcc (Post 306035)
thanks for the replies :)

yeah i plan to use my scangauge and see what works best. will the scangauge tell me the load percentage? i sometimes was TPS and try to keep it in low 20s while accelerating

It is really load that you want. You will increase throttle slightly as you accelerate in order to maintain load as RPMs climb. I believe ScanGauge has a load reading, but I am not sure how to tell you to find it because I use the UltraGauge.