EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Quantifying the aerodynamic impact of lowering a car? (drag coefficient Cd) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/quantifying-aerodynamic-impact-lowering-car-drag-coefficient-cd-24951.html)

320touring 02-15-2013 07:36 AM

Quantifying the aerodynamic impact of lowering a car? (drag coefficient Cd)

I'm aware that lowering a car can improve the fineness (Length to height) ration, and also drops the cD of the car..

Its also not normally an economically viable thing to do..

However...

The golf's suspension is shot- very little damping up front, and the bottom arms are clanking. It will need replaced sooner rather than later.

there are two options (both roughly similar in cost..)

1. Replace with standard parts (dampers/springs/arms)

2. Replace with a coilover kit to allow for a 40mm drop

Would the impact of lowering provide any tangible savings that I could use to justify the work?

or am I better just going with original/pattern parts?

Varn 02-15-2013 10:27 AM

My Jetta was lowered with a similar setup. It rides terrible but gives good mileage. I can not quantify the change as it was like this when I got the car.

justme1969 02-15-2013 10:37 AM

In the post "fast n furious movie" world of automotive resale direct advantage to you and raises value. You will get better economy but it probbably wont be so amazing that you will be reimbursed the project cost ever.
It may make ride harsher as mentioned above andhas penalties with ground clearance and perhaps tire clearance.
But it looks cool and I say why not if its near same cost!
Especially if you are sure the parts are required no matter what.

PaleMelanesian 02-15-2013 11:08 AM

Ironic that you used the word impact when talking about lowering a car.

320touring 02-15-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Varn (Post 356539)
My Jetta was lowered with a similar setup. It rides terrible but gives good mileage. I can not quantify the change as it was like this when I got the car.

Thanks-at least this suggest there wont be a disadvantage:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by justme1969 (Post 356543)
In the post "fast n furious movie" world of automotive resale direct advantage to you and raises value. You will get better economy but it probbably wont be so amazing that you will be reimbursed the project cost ever.
It may make ride harsher as mentioned above andhas penalties with ground clearance and perhaps tire clearance.
But it looks cool and I say why not if its near same cost!
Especially if you are sure the parts are required no matter what.

Believe you me, if waterbeds had wheels and engines they'd handle and ride better!

as you say, its not really an "improvement", more a maintenance issue

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian (Post 356548)

:D good spot:thumbup:

Bumpstops add unnecessary weight:rolleyes:

Slow_s10 02-15-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian (Post 356548)

I chuckled at that too. :)

COcyclist 02-15-2013 01:45 PM

Does the 96 Golf TD have the magnesium oil pan like the TDI? I put an aluminum skid plate on my Golf and resisted the urge to lower. I continued with a coroplast belly pan to the rear bumper instead. There are some downsides to lowering but IMO it can make a car look good. I think it is safe to assume that if you raise your suspension to mount giant tires you will lose mpg but I am not sure the reverse will gain you anything measurable.

Frosty944 02-15-2013 02:00 PM

lowering to reduce drag

Reduced height springs are used primarily to lower the vertical center of gravity in race cars to improve handling in circuit racers Not reduce undercarriage airflow.

Undercarriage air flow is reduced somewhat but that is better achieved by air dams and chin spoilers in the frontal area.
Drag reduction is better achieved by the use of undercarriage slipstream modifications by using bolt on flat panels of a suitable materials.These can be attached in such a way as to reduce he under carriage air mass ( road clearance ) by the use of stand offs. this requires no modification the suspension or ride.

The cleaner aerodynamics also contribute to lower overall drag for better performance and gas millage. If the panels contact the ground they are a cheaper sacrificial donor than your exhaust system or other expensive components.

Frosty 944

Vman455 02-15-2013 03:04 PM

Since the cost is a wash (you'll spend the money either way, for a new stock suspension or lowered), I am strongly in favor of lowering. I've seen widely-varying estimates on Cd change when a vehicle is lowered, from -.01 per inch to -.08 claimed by Ford on the Fusion 999 hydrogen Bonneville car, which was lowered several inches (but not 8!)--but all sources agree, lowering a car has a beneficial effect on drag. The primary benefit, I think, is not in the (tiny) reduction in frontal area or airflow under the car, but the improvement in fineness ratio, as you mention. I put coilovers on my car a year and a half ago, dropped it just until there's no gap between the top of the tire and fender, and haven't looked back.

320touring 02-15-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COcyclist (Post 356575)
Does the 96 Golf TD have the magnesium oil pan like the TDI? I put an aluminum skid plate on my Golf and resisted the urge to lower. I continued with a coroplast belly pan to the rear bumper instead. There are some downsides to lowering but IMO it can make a car look good. I think it is safe to assume that if you raise your suspension to mount giant tires you will lose mpg but I am not sure the reverse will gain you anything measurable.

I honestly do not know re the sump- Think it may be steel.

The roads I use can be easily passed using the 328, and thats MUCH lower than I'd be going with the golf..the cheaper coilover kits prefer to have a bit of height to retain damping- 40-50mm drop max

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty944 (Post 356577)
Reduced height springs are used primarily to lower the vertical center of gravity in race cars to improve handling in circuit racers Not reduce undercarriage airflow.
Undercarriage air flow is reduced somewhat but that is better achieved by air dams and chin spoilers in the frontal area.
Drag reduction is better achieved by the use of undercarriage slipstream modifications by using bolt on flat panels of a suitable materials.These can be attached in such a way as to reduce he under carriage air mass ( road clearance ) by the use of stand offs. this requires no modification the suspension or ride.
The cleaner aerodynamics also contribute to lower overall drag for better performance and gas millage. If the panels contact the ground they are a cheaper sacrificial donor than your exhaust system or other expensive components.
Frosty 944

i'm intending to fit a front airdam in addition to lowering the car- to get the majority of benefits of a bellypan, without the additional work, but you make valid points, especially if I was going to replace stock suspension that was in good order..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vman455 (Post 356591)
Since the cost is a wash (you'll spend the money either way, for a new stock suspension or lowered), I am strongly in favor of lowering. I've seen widely-varying estimates on Cd change when a vehicle is lowered, from -.01 per inch to -.08 claimed by Ford on the Fusion 999 hydrogen Bonneville car, which was lowered several inches (but not 8!)--but all sources agree, lowering a car has a beneficial effect on drag. The primary benefit, I think, is not in the (tiny) reduction in frontal area or airflow under the car, but the improvement in fineness ratio, as you mention. I put coilovers on my car a year and a half ago, dropped it just until there's no gap between the top of the tire and fender, and haven't looked back.

Thanks for the report oun your experience- I dont imagine I'll go as low as you suggest, more likely leave 1-2cm above the tyre for clearance reasons.

The addition of a front air dam should make up the "lost" drop!

lowglider 02-16-2013 12:54 PM

You haven`t told us how much more the new springs would cost. Lowering does improve mpg but I doubt it would pay for itself. If you go for it, I strongly recommend using progressive or soft springs, so that you do not ruin the already not not so smooth ride quality. It can never ever pay for itself if it ruins your back, even if the signs will show in the distant future, it`s just not worth it to risk sacrificing your health.

aerohead 02-16-2013 03:21 PM

lowering

Lowering,by itself,may not achieve the lowest Cd.Low drag concept cars as the Probe-IV not only lowered the nose,but also raised the tail for out-of-town driving,configuring the 'rake' of the car for overall lowest drag.This is something which a full-scale wind tunnel would be handy for ascertaining.
I'd be inclined to maintain a 'factory' suspension.

320touring 02-20-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowglider (Post 356747)
You haven`t told us how much more the new springs would cost. Lowering does improve mpg but I doubt it would pay for itself. If you go for it, I strongly recommend using progressive or soft springs, so that you do not ruin the already not not so smooth ride quality

New springs= £80

New Shocks another £80 for fronts only.

New cheap coilovers £155 (front and rear)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerohead (Post 356769)
Lowering,by itself,may not achieve the lowest Cd.Low drag concept cars as the Probe-IV not only lowered the nose,but also raised the tail for out-of-town driving,configuring the 'rake' of the car for overall lowest drag.This is something which a full-scale wind tunnel would be handy for ascertaining.
I'd be inclined to maintain a 'factory' suspension.

Duly noted- this being the week before payday, I'm in no position to pay for the bits to alter anything!

interesting re the probe- maybe a front only drop would have similar outcomes?

LeanBurn 02-20-2013 05:05 PM

Careful with the cheap coilovers...I have heard stories where they break and/or leak fairly quick..often made with inferior materials...especially cautious if made in China.

Why not some Eibach, H&R or other proven name brand that while lowering the chassis they actually are designed to improve the handling dynamics of the vehicle. Helps with maintaining momentum and keeps more control on windy highways, not to mention can add a little fun back into the driving experience. Also can work with factory shock absorbers with a minimal impact on life expectancy.

ultimx 02-20-2013 05:33 PM

I would go with some eibach linear springs not progressive. They come inane different spring rates and are cheap, atleast state side. Just make sure u have the proper Id of the spring u want to fit onto the coil over and don't get cheap stuff like mensioned before

Varn 02-20-2013 06:13 PM

When I was a poor student I decided that my new 73 Toyota could use some lowering. I pulled the front coils and cut a full turn off the coils. I was interested in fuel economy as gas was sometimes over 50 cents but was mainly interested in handling.

Reducing a coil will increase the spring rate. I have done it many times on off road motorcycles. If you want to maintain ride height you have to put in a spacer.

Varn 02-20-2013 06:15 PM

If you have 10 turns on a front coil and it is 10" long then removing one turn will increase the spring rate by 10/9ths and reduce ride height by one inch.

Usually stock springs are way cheaper than aftermarket.

aerohead 02-20-2013 06:17 PM

front only drop

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320touring (Post 357359)
New springs= £80

New Shocks another £80 for fronts only.

New cheap coilovers £155 (front and rear)

Duly noted- this being the week before payday, I'm in no position to pay for the bits to alter anything!

interesting re the probe- maybe a front only drop would have similar outcomes?

Too bad for us that Ford never published a drag breakdown of the Probe as it transitioned from 'urban' to 'highway' configuration.
Dropping only the nose would,in essence,effectively raise the boot,taking some bite out of the rear contour.
I suspect that it would lower the drag.I just don't know how to predict a numerical value for it.
If you had access to a closed course,along with instant mpg readout capability,you could substitute rigid links where the shocks go,fixing the ride height at your new target,then drive it only as long as it took to get your new mpg reading.If you liked the number,then it might justify a proper modification.
If the numbers didn't pan out,you'd be out very little time and money.

Sven7 02-20-2013 06:23 PM

I ran with cheapcheapcheap coilovers on my Rabbit for several years and never had a single problem. The ride was rough, though not unbearable. Handling was dramatically improved. Grease the sleeves if you drive in the winter.

You might be able to find some used H&R's or similar for much less money. Look on vwvortex, local VW forums or your local Craigslist type site.

Otherwise the popular cheap brands are Vmaxx, Raceland and Rokkor.

==============================

If anyone in the Michigan area has a Scangauge they'd be willing to lend for a weekend I would very much like to plug it into a car with air suspension (I could probably find someone on MIVE) to get real-time readouts on MPG as a function of ride height.

aerohead 02-20-2013 06:37 PM

real-time

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sven7 (Post 357393)
I ran with cheapcheapcheap coilovers on my Rabbit for several years and never had a single problem. The ride was rough, though not unbearable. Handling was dramatically improved.

You might be able to find some used H&R's or similar for much less money. Look on vwvortex, local VW forums or your local Craigslist type site.

Otherwise the popular cheap brands are Vmaxx, Raceland and Rokkor.

==============================

If anyone in the Michigan area has a Scangauge they'd be willing to lend for a weekend I would very much like to plug it into a car with air suspension (I could probably find someone on MIVE) to get real-time readouts on MPG as a function of ride height.

Man,that would be a great contribution.We could also look at mpg as a function of steady road velocity and begin constructing mpg vs speed tables.
Hope that falls together!:thumbup:

darcane 02-20-2013 08:18 PM

This article from Hot Rod magazine is enlightening:
Car Aerodynamics - Hot Rod Magazine

Using wind tunnel testing, they were able to reduce their already modified Camaro from .229 Cd to .201 and a similar, nearly stock Camaro from .497 Cd to .292.

Quote:

Top 5 Easy Aero Mods That Almost Always Work
We pressed Eaker to give us clues about simple aero tricks for typical musclecars-stuff that will work nearly every time even without tunnel testing. The delta between Cd numbers is often referred to as "counts," or thousandths of a point, so the difference between a Cd of 0.250 and 0.200 is 50 counts. Eaker gave us some rough estimates on how many counts of Cd you might improve when these mods are applied to a typical older musclecar. Try these next time you're at the track.

Lower the ride height: "Dropping the car-front or rear-will always reduce drag." On our Camaro, raising the tail 1.5 inches changed the Cd from 0.201 to 0.227.Improvement: At least 20 counts per inch

Block the grille: Eaker's tip is "Always get air around the car rather than through it." Stopping air from entering the grille has shown dragstrip e.t. reductions of a tenth or two even on 120-mph cars. This will also reduce front-end lift, and when the front end raises due to lift, drag increases even more. (Bonus tip: Stiff front springs can also help prevent front-end lift). Grille blockage is more effective on older cars than on newer ones with sealed radiator areas, and obviously, it can only be used for short-duration events due to reduced engine cooling.
Improvement: 15 to 30 counts of reduction in Cd and 50 to 100 counts in reduction of Cl

Add a front air dam: "You can usually get 90 percent there just by adding a dam straight down from the front bumper, just like the one on your Camaro." Even Bonneville guys ask us why we have that big barn door on the front of the car, but keeping air out from under the car both reduces drag and neutralizes lift for solid aero gains.
Improvement: 20 counts less drag, 50 less lift. The taller the car sits, the more important the air dam is.

Seal the back of the hood to the cowl: This is another area that's less critical on newer cars that are already well sealed. Cowl-induction hoods have a high-pressure area at the base of the hood. Air does not travel out the back of the hood; it is forced down into the engine compartment. That air must escape through the car, causing flow disruptions and drag.
Improvement: 10-20 counts less drag, 50 to 75 in lift

Remove the outside rearview mirrors: Factory mirrors hanging off the doors are almost always obstacles to airflow. The '94-up Chevy Impalas and Caprices are notable exceptions; on those cars, the Cd actually gets worse when you remove the mirrors.
Improvement: 10 to 20 counts of drag

Aero Stuff That Doesn't Really Matter
In addition to our list of five tricks that almost always work, here are some things A2 customers might want to try that are really a waste of time.

Wax: Contrary to what you may read on your favorite message board, well-waxed, smooth paint is no more aerodynamic than the worst spray-can, flat-black primer job you can imagine.

Golf-ball dimples: They do not work on cars, regardless of the scale of the dimples, unless your car is a 1.68-inch-diameter sphere spinning through the air with no ground plane.

Taping seams: Rarely if ever are body-panel seams so large and misaligned that smoothing them with duct tape will make a measurable difference in Cd. We tried it on our Camaro, and it did nothing.

Smoothing rivets and hood pins: The removal of minor surface burbles, such as rivets (remember the Howard Hughes movie?) and hairpin-type hood pins shows no measurable improvement in Cd.

Dropping the tailgate: On a pickup, lowering the tailgate does not usually reduce drag. If you are racing a truck, know that extended cabs and crew cabs are more aero than regular cabs.

The biggie: windshield rake: According to Eaker, "Here's a myth I can bust. Once the windshield is past 45 degrees of rake-and many stock cars average like 60 degrees-you will not see an improvement from laying it down at an even steeper angle." We proved this on the Camaro, building a hugely sloped "windshield" out of foam core. It did nothing.

Varn 02-20-2013 08:33 PM

I really can not appreciate "Hot Rod" as a source of first party aerodynamic theory.

320touring 02-21-2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Varn (Post 357405)
I really can not appreciate "Hot Rod" as a source of first party aerodynamic theory.

:D

darcane, thanks for the article!

The top 5 do seem to roughly align with the info in the 65+ efficiency Mods thread here- I imagine the numbers for impact of Cd will be inflated, but eevery little helps.

re cheap coilovers/lowering kits etc.

Replacing the springs would mean only being able to do 1/2 the job- Eibachs would eat right into my damper budget.

spending £4-500 on suspension for a £400 car is not a plan (at the moment- we'll see how the savings pan out!)

I'd only buy TUV approved cheap Coilover kits- even if I get 2 years out them, that'd be 60k miles:eek:

justme1969 02-21-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Thats silly! Do You believe they cheated thier own wind tunnel test? It will mostly be true even for the staunch purist ecomodders.

I will say this again there are 2 different types eco modders here the
:turtle: drivers no offense who get every last inch of thier fuel eco possible.
and Eco modding drivers like myself who will sometimes be cought holding up traffic while attempting to test extreme gain of new mod. but roll normally at or just under a speed regular traffic. And pull 5-15% better than sticker empg.
We need both kinds, but Not every mod or Idea has similar effect when speed is increased. My dakota r/t lost mpg with air dam because it is running at and + speed of normal traffic. worked ok for my KIA.

320touring 02-21-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justme1969 (Post 357481)
Thats silly! Do You believe they cheated thier own wind tunnel test? It will mostly be true even for the staunch purist ecomodders.

I will say this again there are 2 different types eco modders here the
:turtle: drivers no offense who get every last inch of thier fuel eco possible.
and Eco modding drivers like myself who will sometimes be cought holding up traffic while attempting to test extreme gain of new mod. but roll normally at or just under a speed regular traffic. And pull 5-15% better than sticker empg.
We need both kinds, but Not every mod or Idea has similar effect when speed is increased. My dakota r/t lost mpg with air dam because it is running at and + speed of normal traffic. worked ok for my KIA.

I took it as "Dry" humour;)

darcane 02-21-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Fortunately, you don't have to. Eaker is the guy running the wind tunnel and is the "first party" source...

But suit yourself.

320touring 02-21-2013 02:19 PM

civility chaps!

Sven7 02-21-2013 11:13 PM

Rrr I'M INTERNET MAD :D

freebeard 02-22-2013 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowglider
If you go for it, I strongly recommend using progressive or soft springs, so that you do not ruin the already not not so smooth ride quality. It can never ever pay for itself if it ruins your back, even if the signs will show in the distant future, it`s just not worth it to risk sacrificing your health.

No kidding. I lowered the same make/year/model twice. The first time was very successful, so the second time i said I want the same springs and a stiffer anti-roll bar. The guy that ordered the parts ordered stiffer springs with the stock anti-roll bar.

Now if I ride with my left elbow on the driver's door arm rest, I get pain in my left shoulder. Never happened before. :(

wmjinman 02-22-2013 02:54 AM

Quote:

I mentioned it once before on another thread here, but we independently tested a couple of the suggestions from that article (lowering front, back, and total, and the massive verticle air dam), not wholeheartedly believing all of it initially, either. But as best as we could tell, it all seemed to be true (doing what they said DID improve coastdown times on our car).

They mentioned these things applying to "musclecars", and the car we were using (1971 Buick Riviera) was more that shape, too. So things might be a bit different with the later model cars that are designed with more emphasis on aerodynamics. But, as applied to "pre-aero" cars, I'm satisfied the article is right.

Cobb 02-22-2013 07:30 AM

Ive lowered every vehicle Ive own. Sidekick, Scion XA, Insight, Geo Metro, Scion xb just to name a few. Ill buy springs or cut the stock springs. Worse to worse, cut lowering springs to get the drop you want. Nice thing if you can swing coil overs is both the shock and spring are adjustible, but you got longer payback.

I find I getupwards to 5 mo mpg and the handling is well worth it. You can curner better, steering seems crisper as well as braking.

justme1969 02-22-2013 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320touring (Post 357498)
I took it as "Dry" humour;)

OOps my apologies truly for putting heat where it may not belong.
:eek:

320touring 02-22-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justme1969 (Post 357678)
OOps my apologies truly for putting heat where it may not belong.
:eek:

no worries- just arguing on the internet is a fruitless waste of time..

plenty common ground to agree upon instead:)

JoL 02-22-2013 12:31 PM

Just get the cheapest dampening adjustable coilovers available, keep them spun all the way up (not lowered) on a soft dampening setting, leave the helper spring and the bump stops in. They will ride very nice! And please buy a deep vr6 lip, make sure you get an oem one even if its used, the replicas shatter. I love my mklll vento jetta, i am just lowered a little with a vr lip.

Make sure you get dampening adjustable!

Please everyone do not cut springs! It ruins your strut shocks and can be dangerous.

Cobb 02-22-2013 04:55 PM

You can cut springs, oem and lowered ones. Thats ow the pros get that nice lowered look with plus size wheels and tires. In those cases for something that low you need to cut or even remove the bump stops. My tanabe springs set for my insight said to cut all but an inch off the bump stops.

Sometimes lower springs sag. My sidekick has tires 3x larger than oem and hr lowering springs. The rear is saggins and I have to add an inch spacer in the rear to level it out and stop the fenders from hitting the tires on bumps. :eek:

Since it looks like you are more interest in performance than mpg, maybe try a forum for your car?

JoL 02-22-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobb (Post 357773)
You can cut springs, oem and lowered ones. Thats ow the pros get that nice lowered look with plus size wheels and tires. In those cases for something that low you need to cut or even remove the bump stops. My tanabe springs set for my insight said to cut all but an inch off the bump stops.

Sometimes lower springs sag. My sidekick has tires 3x larger than oem and hr lowering springs. The rear is saggins and I have to add an inch spacer in the rear to level it out and stop the fenders from hitting the tires on bumps. :eek:

Since it looks like you are more interest in performance than mpg, maybe try a forum for your car?

It is not a good idea to cut springs due to the fact that most have Vehicles that use progressive spring rates, I own the same chassis as the OP, which is why I chimed in on my setup.

The "Pros" don't use cut springs and level spacers, they run coilovers. Lowering isn't just for appearance it's for the sport :turtle: IE handling, wheel fitment and aerodynamics.

Of course one would have to shorten the bumpstops if you run a shorter spring and strut/shock, but most strut/shocks are not made to bottom out and will break.

There is nothing wrong with leveling spacers other than they shorten your strut/shocks stroke length. I have one inch spacers on my vw on the rear since I like to carry all of my luggage and tools, as well as a full tank.

Sounds like you need to roll/modify your fenders or have taller bumpstops.

Quote:

I am assuming this was towards me, :rolleyes: if I was interested in performance, I would have not bought a vw nor would have joined ecomodder.com :D

Cobb 02-22-2013 07:34 PM

Well, yeah, if you can get a coli over for your vehicle and afford it. Those typically come with adjustible shocks to boot. Most of us cant afford it or its not available. Tanabe was the only thing for my insight 3 years ago, unless you cut your springs. I havent seen many economy cars with progressive rate springs. :D Even then, you cut the coils from the tightly wound side and leave the looser coils alone.

Ive rolled my fenders, there is only an inch of less travel when the fender contacts when turning in the rear, an inch spacer will eliminate that. A good sway bar could also do it.

Ive had the bottom of my car hit the ground, but yet to blow a shock. I think they are better made like oil filters. I remember blowing cheap oil filters back in the day on VW Diesel cars.

320touring 03-02-2013 05:04 PM

Had a very productive day today:

Picked these up for £50

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/u...psffe0bb83.jpg

Boge Gas turbo dampers, with lowering springs:thumbup:

they're off a mk2 golf Gti 16v, but fit the mk3. Should be about a 40mm drop- sensible and comfortable!

Cobb 03-02-2013 07:14 PM

and those are progressive rate springs!!!!! They are average 200 bucks USD depending on where you buy them.

Now, disassemble them and remove the urthene bushing and cut that in half and reinstall. My tanabe instructions said to do so and it helps to reduce the whip lash effect if you bottom out, but still leaves enouugh to avoid a jarring bump if you have any ride quality issues.