EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Instrumentation (https://ecomodder.com/forum/instrumentation.html)
-   -   Question about SGII and calibration (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/question-about-sgii-calibration-12798.html)

RandomFact314 03-30-2010 08:01 PM

Question about SGII and calibration

Ok so a day ago I filled up and hit "Fill Up" or whatever the button is, and when I get my next fill up I will adjust it...

My question is, I hooked up my SGII in my grandfathers truck while he drove so he could see he was getting 11 MPG... Does the SGII know that it was another car or will it count HIS miles on my thing?

gone-ot 03-30-2010 08:21 PM

...but, did you *first* enter the engine displacement and fuel tank capacities?

...if you didn't, then the SGII will assume it's *still* working under the earlier inputs and NOT those partaining to your dad's vehicle.

...I'm guessing, it'll just add those numbers to what it thinks is your car's values.

Lazarus 03-30-2010 08:33 PM

Unless you reset the tank average it will show what the cumulative average is. So it will be off if you tansfer from one to the other without doing anything.

As Old Tele man stated if you did not set the engine perameters for your dads truck the reading won't be right. Also if you remove power from the device, as in unplugging it, sometimes it will reset to default vaules. Double check that the setup is correct or your numbers will be off.

Nevyn 03-31-2010 10:17 AM

It does show a star (*) in the bottom right corner when you view tank values of any kind if it has been unplugged during that tank. That's the only thing it does.

Piwoslaw 03-31-2010 10:33 AM

Good thread title to add a related question: When entering the tank size, do I input the "official" (owner's manual) number, or the size that I believe is useable? In my case, the official size is 58 liters, but on more than one occasion I've put 63l in when there was at least another 3-5l still in there. Even the first "click" of the pump can be after 59l, and the tank wasn't dry when I pulled in. So if I enter 58 liters, then what will the SGII do when my next fill-up is more than the tank's size?

Jyden 03-31-2010 10:40 AM

Sound to me like the pump is calibrated wrongly, so you pay for more than you get?

Try and chek this at an other gasstation.

PaleMelanesian 03-31-2010 11:08 AM

I regularly put 12.2 / 12.3 / 12.5 gallons into my "11.9" gallon tank. The official rating doesn't count for a little reserve at the bottom, or the extra capacity at the top if you top it off.

The tank size has no effect on anything, except the "miles to empty" and "gallons to empty" readings.

When you switch vehicles, you need to reset the gauge. Record the numbers on the old car. Adjust for the new car, drive it as needed. Record those numbers. Reset again for the first car, and for the rest of the tank, hand-calculate the total before and after the reset.

Nevyn 03-31-2010 11:50 AM

I have it set to 15 gallons on my 14.5 gallon tank.

PaleMelanesian 03-31-2010 12:37 PM

The things you need to reset to get accurate mpg readings when changing vehicles:
- Engine size
- Speed calibration
- Fillup Offset - I do a fillup to reset the tank data, and reset the offset as well.

Also, any gauges that might be more or less useful in the other vehicle. (rpm in my civic which has no tachometer, but not in the Odyssey which already has one)