EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   A question on moon discs and alloy wheels (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/question-moon-discs-alloy-wheels-7405.html)

SVOboy 03-09-2009 02:45 PM

A question on moon discs and alloy wheels

I have the VX alloys on my CRX and was wondering if I could get a standard set of 13" moon discs or if I would have to go back to steelies to attach the moon discs.

You can see pictures of the rims in my garage if you're not familiar.

NachtRitter 03-09-2009 03:09 PM

Been wondering the same kind of thing...

SVOboy 03-09-2009 03:22 PM

Well, hopefully someone will know or else I might hav to fashion up something less stylish.

NachtRitter 03-09-2009 07:17 PM

Are you stuck on the manufactured metal moon discs or would you consider some DIY?

SVOboy 03-09-2009 07:53 PM

I like pretty more than non-pretty, and I don't want to drill these rims.

hypermiler01 03-09-2009 08:25 PM

Well, there are only three options, clip-on, screw-on, and adhesive. And unless you want to epoxy them on or something like that, drilling your rims is the only other option.

cfg83 03-09-2009 08:43 PM

hypermiler01 -

Quote:

Originally Posted by hypermiler01 (Post 91774)
Well, there are only three options, clip-on, screw-on, and adhesive. And unless you want to epoxy them on or something like that, drilling your rims is the only other option.

I agree. The "moon-eye" racing disks that the pros use are drilled. My snap-in racing disk experience is that it is a matter of when they will pop out, not if.

CarloSW2

NachtRitter 03-09-2009 09:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK... A thought I'd been entertaining (but haven't taken time to try yet) is mounting a lightweight (fiberglass, potentially) disc via the center cap of the alloy wheel... I'd seen on another site that folks sometimes use "knock out seals" (see pic; found at Home Depot and other home centers) as center caps... With the disc attached to the center cap (using a "stand-off" (metal tube) through which you put a bolt (such as a carriage bolt so the curved surface of the disc isn't broken)), you could attach the disc to the alloy wheel without having to drill into the wheel. Plus it should be relatively easy to pop off whenever necessary.

The key would be to have a well balanced disc and to have a good way to center the disc on the center cap so it doesn't wobble. Being able to snug the disk up against the wheel a bit would help also (maybe use those little stick-on "rubber feet" on the disc where it would touch the wheel).

cfg83 03-09-2009 10:26 PM

NachtRitter -

I've had ideas along the same vein. I was thinking I could use my center-cap as a base for a donut shaped disk cover.

I was also thinking rubber feet (maybe just three for "always perfect" seating?), but I think the glue would have to be really robust, unless the foot was "wedged" in such a way that the glue didn't really matter.

CarloSW2

Ryland 03-10-2009 12:31 AM

at work we have some nuts tht are made to be epoxied on to anything flat or smooth, they work really well and would work well for this, epoxy on some "T" nuts and bolt them on, simple secure.