EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Questions about making an electric bicycle. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/questions-about-making-electric-bicycle-14314.html)

wildfire8 08-23-2010 05:47 PM

Questions about making an electric bicycle.

I have an old razor electric scooter that does not work, and some old bikes. My idea was the take the peddle of the bike and add the motor to the sprocket, so its like I am peddling but the motor is doing the work. Also use the gears from the back wheel for different gear ratios.

Do you think this would work?
Or do you have any other ideas of what I can do with the parts?

NiHaoMike 08-23-2010 07:26 PM

Most bicycle gears will not handle reverse torque during regen unless you add a locking mechanism.

order99 08-23-2010 07:53 PM

I don't see why not-if the scooter was able to propel you by itself then it should be fine for power assist(or better) on a bike.

Were you planning to pedal this bike or just replace the pedals with the motor? If the former then you need to be careful of the Gearing lest the pedals start slapping your feet around(a freewheel pedal crank would solve that quickly enough)-if the latter, be advised that a powered, pedal-less bicycle might be illegal in many states...

If you wish to retain pedal power your first solution would work-other options include:

-independent chain to a gear on the opposite side of the rear wheel

-Rear wheel in the front fork for freewheeling FWD(beef up the drop-outs if you do this)

-friction drive directly to the front or rear tire(has its drawbacks but it easy to set up).

Also, do you know why the Scooter stopped Working? Eliminate that one component and you can likely salvage all the others for the bike(batteries, controller, wiring harness etc)...or fix the Scooter of course.

The link below has everything you'll need to get started:

Endless-sphere.com • Index page

(I lurk there once in awhile but refuse to join until I have the time to make one of my own) Also:

Browser Warning

Best of luck!

Bicycle Bob 08-25-2010 12:23 AM

If you remove the pedals, you'll need to make footrests. Given that the scooter had much smaller wheels, you may need a reduction gear in there, not the standard step-up from the pedal axle.

wildfire8 08-26-2010 07:18 PM

Ok. Thanks for all the helpful info guys.
I will have to get some pics and post them to show what i have to work with.

Green_Primus 01-30-2011 04:18 AM

How did this end up working? I want to do something VERY Similar (cept I don't have any motor in mind yet) But I want to take my 21 speed 26" mountain Bike and make it electric. But I don't want any hub motors I want to remove one of my pedals gears out of the equation and instead link it to a motor. Are there any affordable kits out there to do this with (I've checked around and cant find much) This is a Mid-Drive setup right?

wildfire8 01-30-2011 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green_Primus (Post 217744)
How did this end up working? I want to do something VERY Similar (cept I don't have any motor in mind yet) But I want to take my 21 speed 26" mountain Bike and make it electric. But I don't want any hub motors I want to remove one of my pedals gears out of the equation and instead link it to a motor. Are there any affordable kits out there to do this with (I've checked around and cant find much) This is a Mid-Drive setup right?

I never did end up getting to this idea. I was just getting some ideas form people form here to see if it would work the way i had envisioned it.