EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Quick lil wintry gas saving tip (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/quick-lil-wintry-gas-saving-tip-36242.html)

davelobi 03-11-2018 11:28 PM

Quick lil wintry gas saving tip

2 Attachment(s)
Found this on clearance at local Meijer store the other day and grabbed one. Used it this morning when I went out to start up (waste gas warming up) my wife's mini van. Her windshield was facing away from the sun and frosted over. Sprayed the magic dust all over the windshield then worth a couple quick wipes with the wipers the windshield was clear and totally frost free.

I realized this would be very useful on my little corolla when I want to jump in, start it and immediately head down the driveway and not have to waste any time or precious gas waiting to defrost the windshield.

Not much new under the sun and this has likely been discussed here but it's a novel idea to me. I ran back out to do it again on the corolla to take pictures. If course however, like a good little hyper-miler I had backed my car in when it was warmed up and running in closed loop. This meant that by now the windshield, facing the sun was kinda melted. No problem, I sprayed a little on the back window for the pic. Even the back was starting to melt a little so the results are not as dramatic as they could have been.

This stuff works. Spray n drive immediately.

Frank Lee 03-11-2018 11:39 PM

That's cool but it wouldn't save me any gas. I scrape, then start engine, then go. If it's, say, -20F I'll start then scrape then go.

davelobi 03-11-2018 11:43 PM

I'm too lazy to scrape. Use washer fluid and it frosts right back over. End up spraying half a tank of fluid before it stays clear. This stuff was clear instantly. I'm going back for more at the clearance price.

jcp123 03-12-2018 08:54 PM

I have heard that stuff is hard on rubber stuff (windshield weatherstripping and wiper blades), but that's anecdotal as heck. I actually got a can of this for free years ago; it was a slow seller here where it rarely gets terribly cold and my store was giving the stuff away. As it happened, it did frost over a few times and I used up the can. The stuff works!

ksa8907 03-12-2018 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davelobi (Post 563528)
I'm too lazy to scrape. Use washer fluid and it frosts right back over. End up spraying half a tank of fluid before it stays clear. This stuff was clear instantly. I'm going back for more at the clearance price.

Pink rain-x. Only. Year round.

I guess it's kinda orange, I think they changed colors a few years back.

davelobi 03-12-2018 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksa8907 (Post 563640)
Pink rain-x. Only. Year round.

I guess it's kinda orange, I think they changed colors a few years back.

Yea. I like it to. This stuff is faster on a heavy frost or light ice tho. Also has rain -x in it.

Ecky 03-13-2018 08:27 AM

Usually my windshield is either clear in the mornings, or buried under 12 inches of snow.