EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   Quit Your Job to Save Gas ?? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/quit-your-job-save-gas-4989.html)

BlackDeuceCoupe 09-06-2008 04:06 PM

Quit Your Job to Save Gas ??

Quote:

Originally Posted by taco (Post 59357)
yeah it made me happy my goal is to make it 4 days to work... 520 miles...

OMG! Thank you!!! :thumbup:

This is the first person I've met that drives further to work than me!

I drive over 100 miles per day (round trip)!

Sometimes I *think* it would be cheaper if I didn't work or worked closer to my cave. :eek:

It's hard to give up years of job security, and benefits, but now it's getting to be a matter of survival!

How about you?!?!?

SuperTrooper 09-06-2008 04:44 PM

You forgot the other option: move closer to your work.

I could only see quitting work if it was a minimum wage job.

Getting a job closer to home might make sense if you look at all costs of car operation. Not to mention the quality of life issues that tend to improve with a shorter commute.

wagonman76 09-06-2008 10:27 PM

Quote:

I could only see quitting work if it was a minimum wage job.
Thats what Id say too. You can get a minimum wage job just about anywhere.

There are other options too, depending on the job. Some employers are letting employees work four 10 hour days instead of five 8 hour days. Cuts gas cost by 20%. Others are starting to telecommute more. Others have been carpooling more. One could even crash at a local buddys place sometimes to save most of a trip. Even ecodriving helps, compared to before I joined here, Im spending a dollar less a day on gas, which is like a free trip to work and back every week and a half.

Brian03cav 09-06-2008 10:31 PM

i too have seen this 4 day, 10 hour change hitting some businesses. i work in the support industry, so i drive on average 120 miles a day myself. while i do get compensated for fuel, its still alot of wear on the vehicle (and me!) and just the fact i am using so much fuel.

i have considered finding a job where i can just drive to and call it a day without all this travel, but right now the pay is too much to discount.

BlackDeuceCoupe 09-08-2008 02:28 AM

Interesting!

Well, here's my twist on things...

The reason I drive 100 miles to work n' back is so I can have some time to myself!

I used to have a job 3 miles from my cave - with women bosses. 10 minutes later - I was home with another woman boss - my wife - and it was driving me crazy!!! Something had to give...

I tried driving 200 miles a day - 100 miles each way - but that took the frosting off the cake - driving 4 hours a day. So, I lived in a motorhome two nights a week. That is, I drove to work three days a week, stayed in the motorhome two nights a week, spent 5 days a week at my cave, and 5 days a week at work - with lots of hours in between!

Don't try figuring it out - it's true! The only problem is, I can't trust myself without some 'bosses' in my life. I either end up in jail, or a mental hospital, or both!

Anyway, now that it's a matter of survival, I don't know which is worse - my wife, and my other female bosses, or saving gas, e.g. money!

Personally, I will do everything in my power[s] to avoid having to move closer to work - because that means I'm also closer to my cave and Brunhilda!

I dunno, maybe I have Viking blood coursing through my veins... ;)

taco 09-08-2008 10:12 AM

no way i will quit i make 4 k a month after taxes, have a fuel card from work, and it is a state job.

but i do drive alot. all 2 lane curvy mountaious roads( i canget 2 2.5mile eoc sections on a good no traffic night) started here for range not mpg. funny how those two work together.
plus if i moved closer to work i would have to drive 30miles to a store. instead of the 5 now. so it wouldnt help.....

Chris D. 09-21-2008 10:03 PM

60 miles a day (total round trip) but jobs aren't easy to come upon..