EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycles / Scooters (https://ecomodder.com/forum/motorcycles-scooters.html)
-   -   Quite possibly the coolest motorized bicycle I have ever seen! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/quite-possibly-coolest-motorized-bicycle-i-have-ever-26867.html)

mechman600 09-06-2013 01:35 AM

Quite possibly the coolest motorized bicycle I have ever seen!

Motoped

Xist 09-06-2013 10:56 AM

It definitely looks interesting! It says "80-100 MPG" and considering that the bike weighs a little over one hundred pounds and has a 50cc engine, that definitely sounds reasonable.

What if you aeromod it?! :D

My main question was how much everything cost, which was not in their FAQ. They listed companies that sold the components, although I wish that they specifically linked to everything.

They also say that with a 150cc engine, you could go 65 MPH!

ProDarwin 09-06-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 389115)
It definitely looks interesting! It says "80-100 MPG" and considering that the bike weighs a little over one hundred pounds and has a 50cc engine, that definitely sounds reasonable.

What if you aeromod it?! :D

My main question was how much everything cost, which was not in their FAQ. They listed companies that sold the components, although I wish that they specifically linked to everything.

They also say that with a 150cc engine, you could go 65 MPH!

Go to the kickstarter page and scroll 3/4 of the way down. They list a total price of $2898 after purchasing all components.

The problem is with the 150cc (or any engine really), moving >30mpg requires registration as a motorcycle which requires lights, inspection, insurance, etc. Not sure I'd be happy with MTB tires at those speeds (sustained), and I don't believe they would pass inspection anyway.

Its a very interesting concept, but not sure what I would actually do with one. If I can only go 30mph, I might as well just ride my bicycle.

Xist 09-06-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProDarwin (Post 389117)
Go to the kickstarter page and scroll 3/4 of the way down. They list a total price of $2898 after purchasing all components.

The problem is with the 150cc (or any engine really), moving >30mpg requires registration as a motorcycle which requires lights, inspection, insurance, etc. Not sure I'd be happy with MTB tires at those speeds (sustained), and I don't believe they would pass inspection anyway.

Its a very interesting concept, but not sure what I would actually do with one. If I can only go 30mph, I might as well just ride my bicycle.

Quote:

Pledge $2,950 or more

5 backers

This will be the full bike with a Lifan 49cc motor. The bike will include Marzocchi 888 CR forks! With this option you must pick up the bike yourself in Santa Cruz, CA.
I did not realize that the Kickstarter logo was an icon! :)

This might be perfect if you lived somewhere like LA, where you would be passing cars. Compared to a car, you would save tons on gas, although I wonder how much more you would pay on tires.

I looked at the laws for Arizona. It seems like I could ride it anywhere I can use my Gary Fisher.

I just cannot maintain 30 MPH! :)

NachtRitter 09-06-2013 01:04 PM

Saw that too... http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ike-26748.html

ProDarwin 09-06-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 389126)

I just cannot maintain 30 MPH! :)

Neither can I. But a $3000 depreciating asset to average maybe 25mph to work and get 80mpg doesn't really outweigh averaging probably 15mph on my $100 bike and getting infinity mpg.

I think the rules here would limit it to mostly street use. No trails allow motorized bikes.

Xist 09-06-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProDarwin (Post 389131)
Neither can I. But a $3000 depreciating asset to average maybe 25mph to work and get 80mpg doesn't really outweigh averaging probably 15mph on my $100 bike and getting infinity mpg.

I think the rules here would limit it to mostly street use. No trails allow motorized bikes.

I cannot imagine that you would be allowed, or that you should if you could, take this in highways or freeways.

Who here loves surface streets?!

AntiochOG 09-06-2013 03:30 PM

This seems cool at first, but after thinking about it, it would get the same MPG as my Honda Metopolitan. It would cost a lot more. It has less storage space.

Grant-53 09-13-2013 05:55 PM

For a commuter bike one can do better with a decent full suspension cross country style mountain bike and a Golden Eagle motor kit. Add a fairing and 30 mph is no problem. One should expect at least 150 mpg from such a bike compared to the 50cc scooters.

mechman600 09-13-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grant-53 (Post 390421)
For a commuter bike one can do better with a decent full suspension cross country style mountain bike and a Golden Eagle motor kit. Add a fairing and 30 mph is no problem. One should expect at least 150 mpg from such a bike compared to the 50cc scooters.

But yours won't be nearly as cool, hence the title of this thread.