EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Quote of the day: you know it's time to buy a bicycle when.. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/quote-day-you-know-its-time-buy-bicycle-8788.html)

MetroMPG 06-15-2009 08:53 AM

Quote of the day: you know it's time to buy a bicycle when..

Quote:

...when the world's relying on the Canadian oil sands to supply it with oil, it's time to buy a bike.
:D

(Why? Because oil from the tar sands is inherently expensive to extract, and it's a sign a lot of things - not just fuel - are about to get a lot more expensive too.)

The person who said it is a well known Canadian bank economist who quit his job and/or was let go when he announced he was writing a book about the impact of increasing oil prices on future economies.

Source: Global economy to get 'shock of its life' when oil hits triple digits - The Hill Times - Newspaper Online.

doviatt 06-15-2009 10:19 AM

We have a similar problem here in Utah. We have lots of oil shale which is also very expensive to extract from. Something like, near or over $3 a gallon end result of production which is why we haven't heard much about it till gas was over $3. Current argument is it takes lots of water also for this process which is also a precious resource here in the desert.
You rarely hear them talking of cutting back on usage or fuel alternatives any more around here. Drill baby drill, drill baby drill.....is the mantra. Despite the production costs being usually unmentioned they always talk of how much oil is available in the sands and shale and how many years we can live off that. How short sided. Unfortunate.

bikin' Ed 06-15-2009 11:40 AM

It's ALWAYS a good time to buy a bike!

jamesqf 06-15-2009 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikin' Ed (Post 110040)
It's ALWAYS a good time to buy a bike!

Not if you've already got two :-)

But a good time to start telecommuting, plant a garden, upgrade the insulation on your house, maybe think about solar space & water heating...

bikin' Ed 06-15-2009 03:19 PM

[QUOTE=jamesqf;110068]Not if you've already got two :-)

Especially if you ONLY have two:D

rjacob 06-15-2009 04:08 PM

I already have three bikes that I ride (2006 Diamondback Sorento mountain bike, 1990 Trek 1000 road bike, 2006 Jamis Comet tri bike). Plus a few more project bikes. I sold my recumbent. I discovered I am just not a recumbent kind of guy (recumbent owners are kind of wierd).

But I do keep an eye on craigslist for bikes in case something jumps out.

jamesqf 06-15-2009 08:50 PM

Err... Explain why any reasonable person (e.g. not competing in races) would need more than two. One road bike, one mountain bike: more just seems like conspicuous consumption :-) And I don't even use the road bike that much, since I started telecommuting full-time. Oh, I could go do some touring for exercise & recreation, but the dog gives me such pitiful "why are you leaving me behind again?" looks that I wind up either taking the mountain bike, or decide to hike instead.

rjacob 06-15-2009 08:59 PM

Oh!! I forgot a fourth bike! I have an older Raleigh with 27" wheels. I ride this bike on errands sometimes, or to the pool. This bike is one I am not affraid to leave chained up out front.
So reasons to have more than 2 bikes:
1. Mountain bike-for riding on trails
2. Tri bike-for racing and training
3. Road bike-for spinning and riding
4. Cheap road bike-for errands where I can leave it outside unattended.

LeanBurninating 06-15-2009 09:19 PM

And don't forget you need a spare parts bike for each of those, too!

dcb 06-15-2009 09:29 PM

Every bike I own came off the curb :/ (mixed emotions about that one) I really like the le-tour though, it glides forever with them thin high psi tires.

So many mountain bikes on the street around here, seems stupid to me, as do all the SUVs that never leave the pavement.