EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Rachel from Card Services (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/rachel-card-services-38116.html)

Frank Lee 01-19-2020 09:28 AM

Rachel from Card Services

...doesn't call me anymore. :/

I suppose that she's called every phone number on the planet 700 times each means she was running out of suckers?

Now the calls are from "Mariott Hotel". :rolleyes:

oil pan 4 01-19-2020 09:37 AM

Oh yeah definitely a scam.
I guess it's easier than getting a job.

me and my metro 01-19-2020 11:47 AM

My car warrantee is about to expire! Which is funny since I don’t own anything newer than 2006 and 200,000 miles.

Angel And The Wolf 01-19-2020 12:01 PM

Card Services wants to reward me for my excellent history of making my credit card payments on time.
ME: You've been following my credit card payment history?
Them: Yes Sir!
ME: Which Card?
THEM: The one you use most often.
ME: I don't have any credit card.
THEM: *click*

Angel And The Wolf 01-19-2020 12:04 PM

THEM: We can offer to pay off your student loan.
ME: I don't have a student loan. My son payed his off years ago.
THEM: Are you sure he payed it off?
ME: *Click*

Angel And The Wolf 01-19-2020 12:07 PM

THEM: You've just won an all expenses paid three day stay at Marriott Hotels in Miami.
ME: Great! When?
THEM: First we need an active credit card number.
ME: Oh, I see. This is a scam.
THEM: Oh no, Sir!
Me: *Click*

Angel And The Wolf 01-19-2020 12:14 PM

THEM: Press one to speak to an agent.
ME: (presses one)
THEM: Good afternoon,Sir. Thank you for your...
ME: Did you know you have called a number on the Federal Do Not Call registry?
THEM: *Click*

I told one guy that, and he went on with his spiel.
ME: DON'T F***ING CALL ME AGAIN!!
HIM: I'll tell you what I'm going to do for you Sir. I'm going to put your number on a dialer, and you will get 1,000 calls a day.

I haven't.

The major carriers say they are going to do something about these fake number displaying calls, but nothing so far.

ksa8907 01-19-2020 02:41 PM

They offer me 0% interest on ALL my cards.... not sure how a company can offer rates for multiple banking institutions....

Angel And The Wolf 01-19-2020 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksa8907 (Post 615500)
They offer me 0% interest on ALL my cards.... not sure how a company can offer rates for multiple banking institutions....

KSA, they will not actually give you the 0% interest rate. They just want you to give them your card numbers and any security codes, and them your accounts will be drained, and all you have is their phony phone number.:(

ksa8907 01-19-2020 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel And The Wolf (Post 615501)
KSA, they will not actually give you the 0% interest rate. They just want you to give them your card numbers and any security codes, and them your accounts will be drained, and all you have is their phony phone number.:(

Yes, clearly. ����

I was pointing out that is the obvious scam about it. It would not be possible to do what they say.

Fat Charlie 01-19-2020 04:14 PM

When my daughter was in 7th grade, her car warranty was about to expire.

freebeard 01-19-2020 06:38 PM

Quote:

Rachel from Card Services
...doesn't call me anymore. :/
I know! I got a call from Card Services and the new gal wouldn't even tell me what happened to her. :(

oil pan 4 01-19-2020 10:35 PM

That gives me a great idea. I need to covertly steal someones wallet whom I don't like, copy their credit cards then give it out these aholes.

freebeard 01-19-2020 11:10 PM

Quote:

That gives me a great idea. I need to covertly steal someones wallet whom I don't like, copy their credit cards then give it out these aholes.
I haven't had a credit card since my [first ex-]wife left in 1975. This would be one of the reasons why.

Xist 01-20-2020 02:30 AM

Dad lost $100,000 because his former boss, who got fired before Dad did, had some bad divorce (and relapsed into alcoholism). Dad started his own company, hired his old boss, and the guy refused to get a bank account because... something about his ex.

The IRS fined Dad tons of money because he didn't report that properly.

Then there was the problem of the friend convincing Dad to buy the F150 as a company vehicle, for the friend to drive, and then he drove 50,000 miles in a year, but never made a single deadline. I have worked for my agency for a year and eight months.

I barely missed one deadline. The meanies are witholding my pay for two weeks.

"We sent you tons of reminders!"
"You think I wasted my time reading your e-mails when I had deadlines to make?!"

I couldn't start before January First. I wrote three reports on January First, but when school started up I needed to write a couple dozen reports for them. Then I resumed writing reports for my main employer--except Granddad passed away, and I was in charge for five days.

I love my brother, but he requires a surprising amount of time.

I put him to bed on the 10th, the day everything was due, submitted the last report with little time to spare, and went to bed.

I was exhausted!

In the morning Office Lady sent out an e-mail about the signature sheets.

Oh right! Four minutes later I submitted them. Six days later I asked my boss why I wasn't paid and he responded "You missed the deadline!"

Oh good. I will just have tons of fines and stuff because my last paycheck was tiny.

Swell.

I rarely receive junk--spam--what do we call them?--calls. Mom keeps saying that she will call about getting her landline fixed. We insisted that she kept it so we could be sure to get a hold of her when she did not answer her cell phone. Well, sometimes she does not answer either phone, but when I worry that she fell in the shower (ew!), had a bad diabetic complication, etc., I can get here far faster.

Mom used to receive one card saying "Thank you for using Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover!" I am sure they were offering to save her interest, but it always sounded questionable that The United Consortium of Moneylenders would be calling her.

She gets calls about the warranty for her car or house, but her 2006 Camry has almost 200,000 miles.

It was always fun when people called for my parents when I was a kid--aside from them calling me by Mom's name.

People often mispronounced both of their names and I always responded "Nobody by that name lives here."

Like if they asked for Carolyn and Tom, but my parents were Carolanne and Tim. People make honest mistakes, but it always seemed like if they knew my parents they would know how to say their names.

Frank Lee 01-20-2020 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 615536)

I have been known to google generic credit card numbers for the various cards and provide them to the scammer and laugh to myself while the idiot wastes their time trying to run them.

Xist 01-20-2020 10:54 AM

Are there any Hollywood credit card numbers, like phone numbers starting with 555?

freebeard 01-20-2020 11:46 AM

Not advocating for this, just saying that Facebook sounds like a cesspool:

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-o6aXybXm2...0/jghtfjgk.JPG
Just A Car Guy: whoa! Things are getting nasty and vicious out there!

Vman455 01-20-2020 01:49 PM

That's a tweet....

freebeard 01-20-2020 02:38 PM

It's all social media to me, and thus anathema. JACG provided this link: https://www.facebook.com/lee.gates.1...64212397159085

I'm not touching it but you're welcome to investigate.

Xist 01-20-2020 05:23 PM

Tweets are definitely Instagram! Everybody knows that!

The first time that I remember hearing about Instagram it was a silly girl about whom I periodically tell stories. She said that it was like Facebook, but all pictures, no words! I just stared at her.

She said that like it was a good thing.

So, you post a picture without saying anything, people just like and\or share without commenting?

Well comments are cancer...

freebeard 01-20-2020 07:11 PM

Quote:

She said that like it was a good thing.
what would she say about Tik Tok? I had no opinion so I went to Wikipedia.
Quote:

TikTok
tiktok.com
TikTok is a video-sharing social networking service owned by ByteDance, a Beijing-based company founded in 2012 by Zhang Yiming. It is used to create short lip-sync, comedy, and talent videos. The app was launched in 2017 for iOS and Android for markets outside of China.Wikipedia
Developer(s):ByteDance
https://duckduckgo.com/i/7108e9b1.png
ByteDance? Where did I hear that before?
Quote:

Slate's article includes its comprehensive list of the 30 most dangerous tech companies. But here's the top 10:

Amazon
Facebook
Alphabet
Palantir Technologies
Uber
Apple
Microsoft
Twitter
ByteDance
Exxon Mobil

Xist 01-20-2020 10:14 PM

All I got for Christmas were dried bugs! I showed them! I ate them!

Someone told me to post the video on Tick Tock, but my brother-in-law said that it was Chinese spyware.

Then again, I saw a news article about creepy men using it to watch underaged girls.

Either way, that is Mos-Eisley-level class.

Frank Lee 01-20-2020 10:31 PM

Recently started getting robocalls that are voice activated, as in, their recording does not start until a human voice is detected- answering machine message doesn't trigger them. So if I decide to answer instead of letting it go to the answering machine, I pick up and listen in total silence. A person will probably say something; scambot hangs up after about 10 seconds.

The scam constantly evolves.

JSH 01-20-2020 11:13 PM

I stopped answering unknown phone calls about 3 years ago.

Xist 01-20-2020 11:25 PM

I do not answer out-of-state numbers, but we often get in-state numbers and thick accents.

Frank Lee 01-20-2020 11:27 PM

I don't have caller ID so I have to wing it.

JSH 01-21-2020 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 615659)
I don't have caller ID so I have to wing it.

We ditched the landline in 2002. The phone company recommended we get a cell phone so we did.

Frank Lee 01-21-2020 12:12 AM

I had a cell phone for a while; it was nice but it wasn't necessary enough to justify the cost. I get net via landline so there's that synergy.

Xist 01-21-2020 12:16 AM

Mom would be lost without her child's plaything. My sister is renewing her vows soon and is hiring a photographer. I will borrow said plaything because silly people with iPhones are a known obstacle to photographers.

I didn't attend her actual wedding. Do I really need to attend this? :)

Frank Lee 01-21-2020 12:18 AM

Depends on if it means peace in the family and if you want it. Who knows... will there be food?

Xist 01-21-2020 12:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
She says she is buying pupusas, but I would rather buy my own. Her dogs won't be there and they are the friendliest and best-behaved members of the family.

My niece loves me, though, but I end up spending more time with the dogs.https://ecomodder.com/forum/attachme...1&d=1579584392

Frank Lee 01-21-2020 12:33 AM

Sounds like you could use the time for a good nap.

Heh heh, I see what you mean re: iPhone bandit

Xist 01-21-2020 12:41 AM

Mom said the iPhones should be taken out for weddings. My eyes got big and I asked "Can I get that job?!"

Warning: If my Afghan Veteran brother sees you pulling out your iPhone during my ceremony he will knock it out of your hand, if not knock you to the ground, and possibly drag you out of the room.

"Hey Xist, how was the gathering?"
"Awesome! I ruined ten iPhones!"

freebeard 01-21-2020 01:02 AM

Quote:

I had a cell phone for a while; it was nice but it wasn't necessary enough to justify the cost. I get net via landline so there's that synergy.
I had a Nokia candy-bar that I paid for month by month. Then TMobile wouldn't roll over unused minutes at the end of the year. Then it got worse but I forget why because I had dropped the service (plus, that was last century).

What I really wanted was something I could throw in the car's glove box, and then take it out six months or a year later and have it work once.

So I have a land line (no answering machine) and lowest tier DSL. I actually lost dial tone for three days last week, but the DSL never failed (sucks but didn't fail). The technician said that DSL only needs one of the two wires intact. The connection had failed out at the street a block away.

JSH 01-21-2020 09:08 AM

At one time I was spending $20 combined a month for 2 cell phones, the equivalent of a landline (Google Voice) and a mobile hotspot but it wasn't worth the effort for the savings when Cricket (wholly owned AT&T subsidiary) was $20 per line for unlimited talk, text, and 4 GB of data. That was a couple years ago.

Today work pays for my phone (and they pay WAY too much) and my wife is on AT&T Prepaid for $25 per month. Unlimited talk, text, 8 GB data in USA, Canada, and Mexico.

MVNO's are the way to go. (Mobile Virtual Network Providers) Big name networks without the brand name cost.

Of course all cell service is a rip-off compared to rates in other countries. It was $20 a month for 20 GB of data in Vietnam.