EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   rain-x anti-fog (or other) glass treatment (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/rain-x-anti-fog-other-glass-treatment-29945.html)

Daox 09-09-2014 11:07 AM

rain-x anti-fog (or other) glass treatment

Has anyone used this stuff? How does it work? I have two applications I'm interested in:

1) With winter coming up, interior fogging is always an issue on cold starts for me.
2) I'd also like to try it on the motorcycle helmet. Fogging is always an issue in the morning even in the middle of summer.

Anyone have experience with it? Or a similar product? The reviews on amazon aren't so great, but I'd like to find something that works.

Rain-X® Anti-Fog - Rain-X

mcrews 09-09-2014 11:27 AM

I used the rainX on the infiniti Q45. I could run w/o the wipes in most light to mild rain. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Never used the anti-fog stuff.

user removed 09-09-2014 01:15 PM

Passed a big rig, near Altanta, in my new 84 CRX 1.5, at night, torrential rain, with my wipers off and I could still read the license plate on the truck. I pased a Va State Trooper (going 35) in 10 inches of snow going back home once in that CRX, wheel wells got so full of ice I couldnt turn the front wheels Had to stop and very carefully (plastic fenders) clear them out.

Been using it for 40 years. On my Insight the water never even stuck to the rear glass at any decent speed the rear window was perfectly clear. A bottle last me years.

regards
mech

cowmeat 09-09-2014 01:15 PM

I used the anti-fog years ago on one hooptie or another. I quit using it because of so-so results.

I do use original Rain-x on my exterior glass religiously, though! I have to re-apply it a lot since bugs kill its effectiveness, but when it's fresh, there's nothing like being in a Florida downpour and not having to use the wipers.

I don't recommend Rain-x for old streaked, pitted windshields, it's not worth the hassle since you'll still need to use your wipers.

SilverCrown9701 09-09-2014 01:16 PM

I personally use both the Rain-X repellent and the Anti-Fog application. They both work wonders! Just be sure to follow the instructions as directed, sometimes you may need a bit more liquid depending on how foggy your windows become in the winter.

I recommend cleaning both the interior and exterior of the windshield before applying.

You can also apply to the side and rear window, just keep in mind of the defroster heating lines as to not damage them. Use at your own risk in that instance!

I hope this helps! :)

Sincerely,
SC

Cobb 09-09-2014 05:47 PM

I use to do teh rain x thing, then I discovered the wonders of turtle wax ice.

Its like rain x you can put on your paint. :eek:

Daox 09-09-2014 06:32 PM

I don't try to see through my paint so I'm not as concerned about that. :p

Xist 09-10-2014 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 444715)
I don't try to see through my paint so I'm not as concerned about that. :p

A mechanic with x-ray vision should be able to charge extra.

hamsterpower 09-10-2014 05:02 AM

Rain-x on the outside does wonders. No need for wiper most of the time...
Rain-x anti-fog on the inside, So-so when warm, useless when cold! If anything it fogs AND FROSTS much WORSE. One aweful winter of scraping the INSIDE of my windshield... never again.

Cobb 09-10-2014 08:37 PM

Ive never tried looking through sheet metal, now paint is another story. Did I tell you I use vht night shade lense and window tint spray?

The only solution for inside winder fogging is one of those sheepskin balls by turtle wax you rub your winder with.