EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   "Reading" 1998 Honda Civic head gasket failure (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/reading-1998-honda-civic-head-gasket-failure-36453.html)

California98Civic 05-12-2018 06:18 PM

"Reading" 1998 Honda Civic head gasket failure

2 Attachment(s)
Almost done with head gasket replacement. Since I know I pulled the original 1998 Honda head gasket from the car because I have owned it since June 2001, I thought it would be fun to compare the old with the new OEM. Inthese photos, the new one is above the old. See all the missing black material on the old one? The #1 cylinder seemed to be the worst. On the head and on the block, the worst contamination was around #1 and also #2, though it was not quite as bad.

Top of the gaskets, #1 cylinder is on the right
http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1526162530

Bottom of the gaskets, #1 cylinder is on the left
http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1526162547

Oil was getting into coolant, coolant was contaminted with combustion gasses, and a little coolant and maybe oil was burning. But no coolant ever in the oil.

"Reading" it, I see the day I first brought my daughter home, thousands of commutes, trips all over the country, including through the Hopi and Navaho reservations... across country, & 260,000 miles of never fail machine greatness.

Engineering is amazing. Precision factory production is amazing.

Stubby79 05-13-2018 03:07 AM

Is the missing gasket material stuck to the head & block, or is it just gone?

Baltothewolf 05-13-2018 03:13 AM

Probably blown out and gone. Have a similar failure on 2 different cylinders on my 4Runner. No coolant in the oil, but oil in the coolant and catastrophic failure occurred after about 1500 miles of driving it with them 'mildly' blown. (burning off minor coolant and changing coolant every 200mi to keep it from getting too contaminated).

California98Civic 05-13-2018 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stubby79 (Post 569483)
Is the missing gasket material stuck to the head & block, or is it just gone?

It seemed mostly just to be gone. Not all areas were all that contaminated beyond a little discoloring. Around #1 & #2 there were deposits stuck to the surface of head and block that I interpreted as carbon and maybe gasket material. #3 & #4 were much cleaner, though cylinder top #4 was just as gummy as #1. I did the razor cleaning of the block mating surface, and though I did not want to dig too hard for fear of gouging some of what flaked-off the block must have been gasket material.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baltothewolf (Post 569484)
Probably blown out and gone. Have a similar failure on 2 different cylinders on my 4Runner. No coolant in the oil, but oil in the coolant and catastrophic failure occurred after about 1500 miles of driving it with them 'mildly' blown. (burning off minor coolant and changing coolant every 200mi to keep it from getting too contaminated).

That was nearly my exact situation. And checking frequently revealed it had suddenly gotten much worse in a couple hundred miles. Still was not nearly fully blown, btw. But unmistakably headed toward the death of the engine without intervention.

Formula413 07-04-2018 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by California98Civic (Post 569463)
trips all over the country, including through the Hopi and Navaho reservations

One of my favorite parts of the country. LOVE the southwest. :cool:

California98Civic 07-05-2018 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formula413 (Post 573252)
One of my favorite parts of the country. LOVE the southwest. :cool:

Love New Mexico even more. The trip on this head gasket that featured The Hopi rez also visited the Taos Pueblo, an amazing thousand year housing complex in which Popé himself once lived. Fabulous to be there.

Formula413 07-05-2018 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by California98Civic (Post 573311)
Love New Mexico even more. The trip on this head gasket that featured The Hopi rez also visited the Taos Pueblo, an amazing thousand year housing complex in which Popé himself once lived. Fabulous to be there.

The Pueblos were great too. First time I tried fry bread :thumbup: The tail end of the Rockies in northern NM and the Jemez Mountain Trail are spectacular.

California98Civic 07-05-2018 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formula413 (Post 573313)
The Pueblos were great too. First time I tried fry bread :thumbup: The tail end of the Rockies in northern NM and the Jemez Mountain Trail are spectacular.

I like to think that I lost a little head gasket meterial in that region as I passed through 12 years ago, and perhaps traces of it dripped out the tailpipe with water from the combustion exhaust... onto the desert roadway... (alongside lots of carbon unfortunately!)...

Xist 07-09-2018 01:26 AM

Are Navajo tacos still Navajo tacos if they are made by gringos?

California98Civic 07-09-2018 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 573480)
Are Navajo tacos still Navajo tacos if they are made by gringos?

Yes (and no).