EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Success Stories (https://ecomodder.com/forum/success-stories.html)
-   -   really? (55 to 79 mpg UK with a handful of aeromods?) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/really-55-79-mpg-uk-handful-aeromods-31168.html)

danvanman 02-08-2015 01:55 PM

really? (55 to 79 mpg UK with a handful of aeromods?)

Hello all,

Been an ecomodder fan for years but never needed to join in the debate as the discussions have been truly great in themselves.

But...now I have completed my ecomod setup V1. And to be honest im pretty amazed at the results.

So i'm after some feedback.

Vehicle - Vauxhall / Opel Combo van 1.3 TDI 2006
Ecomods- scanguage, smooth wheel trim (pizza tray), lots of foam strip applied in all shuts and seals, clear sealant in all voids, engine undertray, main area undertray and rear undertray (in correx), tyre max sidewall psi, grill block (eng temp steady 83c).

And the MPG?

I have done between 79 and 91MPG (UK gallons).

I was doing 55 to 58MPG before any mods.

Im I missing something or is this actually quite a possible and hence a true result?

Im still going to do rear arch covers, wiper area spoilerand aerial delete for v2.

For v3 im getting to grips with Flowsquare CPD and planning on making a useful diffuser, and also an easily detachable and foldable kamback (for long highway use- not practical in town as i need my rear doors).

So im also thinking that 100MPG could be reachable if my scanguage is right.

P.s. I use a fuel tracker app to manually track the tank MPG and it is pretty close to the scanguage.

cowmeat 02-08-2015 04:44 PM

Nice job!

Throw your car in the garage and add a couple of pics! Time will tell if your mods hold up tank after tank.

dirtydave 02-08-2015 08:01 PM

Try to fill up at the same pump all the time. stop at the first click or second click or whatever everytime I know the station across the street might be a few cents cheaper but just ignore that and believe in the science.

dirtydave 02-08-2015 08:07 PM

PLEASE!! post some pictures!!

* all of my aero mods are stale and I need some new ideas!!

MetroMPG 02-08-2015 09:23 PM

Welcome, danvanman!

I upped your postcount so you can add photos if you like.

That seems like a pretty steep jump for what you've done to date. That improvement was measured over how many fill-ups?

danvanman 02-09-2015 01:43 AM

Hey all,

I will add some pics. Could be quite interesting to see a UK/Euro small van ecomodded i guess.

Although as i work as a courier my van is very much in need of a wash. When i get 5 mins i will take some.

Not much to see though as the pizza trays are just regular ones and the grill block is standard PVC moulded T piece lengths trimmed to size. Nonetheless, i will add them.

Luckily for me my van has the same front end as a Vauxhall/ Opel Corsa 'C' where there are OEM engine trays available. I purchased one of these for £30 from ebay new and the correx was £7.50 a sheet from a warehouse.

On that note, i got my scangauge secondhand for £30 (used just to clear a fault code!).

My MPG is from one tank and also from averaging two trip average MPG readouts on the scangauge. The point of this is that on each journey I was empty. Having a 150kg load makes it hard to stay above 70MPG on the motorway (freeway).

So if I can save about £15 per 500 miles, and I can do that in a day whilst working I would save a small fortune over the year....

oldtamiyaphile 02-09-2015 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danvanman (Post 467284)
Having a 150kg load makes it hard to stay above 70MPG on the motorway (freeway).

How does your result compare to the Euro cycle figures?

I carry about 150kg of tools (plus a ladder on the roof) in my vans and still easily beat the official City cycle (as I drive only in the city). Some people on here have even carried ballast to increase their momentum storage.

Look forward to seeing the pics, (for our US readers my Kangoo is a similar type of van), but Renault didn't leave much on the table, particularly as I drive 99% city. The grill is already so tiny I dare not block it. I do want to do a diffuser when the weather cools and maybe skirt the rear wheels (this should suit the styling pretty well).

PS if your Kammback is split in the middle you can still use your doors. Adding a Kamm to most vans should be pretty easy.

fearone 02-09-2015 06:31 AM

I wouldn't rely on scan gauge, fill to fill is what you should be lookinh at.

My friend has that engine in his corsa and gets less mpg than me in my 1.7 astra. He gets 50 to 55 tops iirc.

elhigh 02-09-2015 09:20 AM

I guess the big question is whether the MOT will let you have a kammback. I understand motoring regs in some Euro jurisdictions can be pretty tight. Maybe if you paint it in loud bumblebee stripes and promise to always wear hi-viz.

Even before your mods you were getting nearly 50mpg (US) which, for even a little van, is frankly amazing. You tell us you're cracking 65 mpg (US) now, and I want to know: who did you find to push your van so much? I think you should figure that guy's mileage into yours.

Seriously. Pictures. I gotta see this thing.

danvanman 02-09-2015 01:19 PM

Been a busy earning day today, mostly very low loaded and used a whole tank.

Ill post the fuel app number when i fill up and wash it tomorrow