EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   DIY / How-to (https://ecomodder.com/forum/diy-how.html)
-   -   Really, acetone? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/really-acetone-3101.html)

gteclass 06-16-2008 04:58 AM

Really, acetone?

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/524517...as_mileage_2x/

also..
http://www.pureenergysystems.com/new...00069_Acetone/

any ideas?

SVOboy 06-16-2008 10:35 AM

This site says much more than I can: http://fuelsaving.info/

If you look at the other stuff on the PES site, you'll get an idea how BSy it is.

ConnClark 06-16-2008 10:52 AM

Acetone may get you slightly better mileage in a diesel because it behaves as an aromatic and bumps up the Cetane rating of the fuel a little. There are however commercial additives that are more effective such as Power Service and others don't harm your engine.

In a gasoline engine acetone is not going to get you a thing and may even reduce your mileage.

blownintegra 06-16-2008 06:29 PM

when I used to sniff acetone, my mileage went down...

so did my IQ...;)

trikkonceptz 06-16-2008 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConnClark (Post 35220)
In a gasoline engine acetone is not going to get you a thing and may even reduce your mileage.

I say try it, I have been using Acetone in my vehicle for the past three months, it gave me an initial 4mpg boost @ 1mL per gallon and has remained consistent ever since. My car didn't seem to like it when I went to 2oz per gallon, but each vehicle may react differently to the mixtures. Optimal for me is 1oz per 10 gallon and along with my driving techniques and simple mods I have gone from 27mpg to 45mpg, (Check my Logs)

I also recently did a blind test on my wife car, and we also saw a 4mpg jump in it and then a 7mpg drop with the subsequent tank w/o Acetone.

So best not to take anyones word for it, try it. A 1 or 2 tank test will not harm your engine and of course once you stop all conditions return to normal. But without it I would not be at the MPG levels I am at now with my automatic ...

ConnClark 06-16-2008 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikkonceptz (Post 35369)
I say try it, I have been using Acetone in my vehicle for the past three months, it gave me an initial 4mpg boost @ 1mL per gallon and has remained consistent ever since. My car didn't seem to like it when I went to 2oz per gallon, but each vehicle may react differently to the mixtures. Optimal for me is 1oz per 10 gallon and along with my driving techniques and simple mods I have gone from 27mpg to 45mpg, (Check my Logs)

I also recently did a blind test on my wife car, and we also saw a 4mpg jump in it and then a 7mpg drop with the subsequent tank w/o Acetone.

So best not to take anyones word for it, try it. A 1 or 2 tank test will not harm your engine and of course once you stop all conditions return to normal. But without it I would not be at the MPG levels I am at now with my automatic ...

hmmmm..... How does 1/3785th of a gallon additive translate into a 4 mpg boost? Answer: it doesn't. You filled the tank with more gas when you did the acetone test than you did without the acetone. Blatant proof is you have a 3 mpg drop below your base line without the acetone.

To truly top off a tank you have to fill it to the top of the neck. Then you have to put the cap back on and bounce and rock the car around to get the fuel to displace trapped air in the tank. You will have to do these two steps a few times. I have found I can pack an extra .7 gallons in my car that way. To get a consistent mileage reading you also need to do this each time you fill up. You also have to do it from the same pump having your car face the exact same way to rule out influence of slope of the pavement.

Also your wife has a 2006 car and your mileage is only 5.3% above EPA. To do this poor with my car I have to drive around with my foot in it almost all the time and my car was built back in 1985.

gteclass 06-17-2008 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConnClark (Post 35412)
hmmmm..... How does 1/3785th of a gallon additive translate into a 4 mpg boost? Answer: it doesn't. You filled the tank with more gas when you did the acetone test than you did without the acetone. Blatant proof is you have a 3 mpg drop below your base line without the acetone..

This is typical naysayer logic... The percentage of the additive is not what is important, it is the vapor pressure and surface tension of the mixture of gasoline and acetone that gives the boost in efficiency. The drop below the baseline was probably because it takes a full tank on most cars for the computer to adjust the fuel trims for new gas. This is also why most people get best mileage out of the gas station they always go to. Not because the gas is necessarily better, but because the car is used to that particular gas.

Quote:

To truly top off a tank you have to fill it to the top of the neck. Then you have to put the cap back on and bounce and rock the car around to get the fuel to displace trapped air in the tank. You will have to do these two steps a few times. I have found I can pack an extra .7 gallons in my car that way. To get a consistent mileage reading you also need to do this each time you fill up. You also have to do it from the same pump having your car face the exact same way to rule out influence of slope of the pavement.

Really bad advice, topping off a tank in this way is extremely bad for your evap system. Please just fill up until it clicks once. If you record your mileage at every fill up and the ammount of gallons it took to get there the resulting average fuel economy will be accurate. Each individual mileage reading between fill ups will vary no matter what you do, but the average of your readings will be accurate when you look at a few fillups.

Quote:

Also your wife has a 2006 car and your mileage is only 5.3% above EPA. To do this poor with my car I have to drive around with my foot in it almost all the time and my car was built back in 1985.

For one thing, maybe his wife does drive around with her foot in it. And are you going by the old epa estimates for your car or the new ones. Not to mention, 80s cars are MORE efficient than todays pieces of junk. Trust me also, getting 5% better mileage on a V8 truck with todays emmissions and safety standards without any hypermiling techniques is a serious gain.

elhigh 06-17-2008 08:56 AM

This acetone idea is worthless for my truck, right? Carburetor doesn't care what goes through it so long as it's flammable, right? There are no sensors to fool into leaning out the mixtures.

Lazarus 06-17-2008 09:23 AM

Quote:

The relationship to EPA mileage has nothing to do with the question about acetone. It would be better to talk about why the protocol used and all the other reasons why tank to tank testing proves nothing would be better. Let the data and procedures speak for themself.

ConnClark 06-17-2008 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gteclass (Post 35512)
This is typical naysayer logic... The percentage of the additive is not what is important, it is the vapor pressure and surface tension of the mixture of gasoline and acetone that gives the boost in efficiency. The drop below the baseline was probably because it takes a full tank on most cars for the computer to adjust the fuel trims for new gas. This is also why most people get best mileage out of the gas station they always go to. Not because the gas is necessarily better, but because the car is used to that particular gas.

ummmm... gasoline has a surface tension of about 21 ergs/cm^2 and acetone has a surface tension of about 23.7 ergs/cm^2 . If you could please post a link to some scientific produced table of the surface tension of acetone and gasoline solutions please feel free to do so.

By claiming that acetone lowers the surface tension I assume you are trying to say that acetone makes the fuel atomize more completely and thus burn more completely? Seeing that most cars burn 98% of their fuel how does burning 2% more fuel translate into into a 4mpg boost unless your car gets 200 mpg? It can't cause the fuel to burn faster because you would end up with a knock and that would cause shock waves to bounce around in the combustion chamber scrubbing heat from the gases to the walls lowering efficiency. What exact mechanism causes this claimed boost in efficiency?

Car computers adjust a cars operating parameters fairly quickly. Want proof? Try changing out a faulty O2 sensor. It doesn't take a full tank of gas for the computer to adjust to this. The car runs better immediately.

Lets say that it does take a full tank of gas for a car's computer to adjust things. That would mean that trikkonceptz alternating tanks of acetone laced and pure gas would be a total wash.

Quote:

Really bad advice, topping off a tank in this way is extremely bad for your evap system. Please just fill up until it clicks once. If you record your mileage at every fill up and the ammount of gallons it took to get there the resulting average fuel economy will be accurate. Each individual mileage reading between fill ups will vary no matter what you do, but the average of your readings will be accurate when you look at a few fillups.
I agree that there is truth to this statement. However in trikkonceptz's tests he was doing one tank with acetone laced fuel and the next tank without. There is no way to get a running average when testing in this matter. The only way to get an accurate reading is to drain the tank completely and then refill it or top the tank completely off with the former method being better than the latter.

Quote:

For one thing, maybe his wife does drive around with her foot in it. And are you going by the old epa estimates for your car or the new ones. Not to mention, 80s cars are MORE efficient than todays pieces of junk. Trust me also, getting 5% better mileage on a V8 truck with todays emmissions and safety standards without any hypermiling techniques is a serious gain.
In my mileage log calculation I use the new epa estimates however I just fixed the front suspension and had an alignment. I will also have new tires before I top off next and the last tank was about 80% city driving. The old epa estimate for my car is 22mpg the current one is 19mpg.

but lets see how my car stacks up to a new one.

1985 Mercedes 300SD California emissions
3.0L turbo diesel
118 hp @ 4,350 rpm
177 lb-ft @ 2,400 rpm
new epa estimate 19mpg city 20mpg hwy 19 combined
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/2008c...olumn=1&id=339

2008 Mercedes Benz E320 Bluetech
3.0L turbo diesel
210hp @ 3,800 rpm
400 lb-ft @ 1,600 - 2,400 rpm
23mpg city 32mpg hwy 26 combined

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/2008s...E320%20Bluetec

I think new cars are more powerful and more efficient despite tougher emissions controls and more restrictive emissions devices. They are cleaner too

gteclass 06-19-2008 11:06 AM

I have not looked into the surface tension specs. Where did you get those? Are they for pure gasoline or are they from a specific oil companies MSDS on the gasoline they sell in the pump with all the additives? The surface tension claim comes from the sources that i listed in my original post. Also, I have seen many chemistry experiments yeild physical property changes that were not in any way averages of the properties of the components of the formula.

Also, where did you get this most cars burn 98% of their fuel idea from. Is this including the large percentage that gets burned off in the catalytic converter?

If it does cause the fuel to burn quicker then the ecu will see any knock and retard the timing which doesnt really mean anything by itself about fuel economy. Timing is all about making the flame front hit the piston approximately 15degrees after TDC. If the flame front moves faster, this would be a good thing as long as it still reaches the piston at that point.

The car may immediately start adjusting, but it takes about 200 miles for fuel trims to stabilize and even when they do, any little change will cause it to adapt more. Thats at least a half a tank no matter what you drive before the ecu actually knows what its doing.

trikkonceptz's procedure definitely could have been improved by using 4 consecutive fill ups with each step and averaging the results ignoring the tank of gas that the ecu is in transition mode. I am conducting my own experiment right now using this method. Ill post the results as they come it.

Also, try comparing a 80s economy car... say a 1986 honda civic with say... a 2006 Honda Civic. Or how about a 1986 Toyota Corolla with a 2006 Toyota. Of course with a high end luxury car your not going to see great gas mileage in the 80s.

markweatherill 06-24-2008 10:55 AM

Burnt in cat

I suggest that a large proportion of fuel is *not* burned in the catalytic converter.

Otherwise when you removed the cat. on a car, as some people like to do, you'd either see fuel spraying out the exhaust or huge mpg gains.

ConnClark 06-25-2008 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gteclass (Post 36327)
I have not looked into the surface tension specs. Where did you get those? Are they for pure gasoline or are they from a specific oil companies MSDS on the gasoline they sell in the pump with all the additives?

This is where I got my information on the surface tension of gasoline.
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc.../mats05037.htm
This source says gasoline has a surface tension of 20
http://www.corkind.com/ttn/cttn_12_9...ace_Energy.pdf

An exact number cannot be pinned down because there are different formulas, mixtures, etc for gas and even then the mixtures may be adjusted seasonally.

On page 1 is a breakdown of gasoline's components by weight
http://www.jdm-inc.com/files/Gasolin...ventional).pdf

Quote:

The surface tension claim comes from the sources that i listed in my original post. Also, I have seen many chemistry experiments yeild physical property changes that were not in any way averages of the properties of the components of the formula.
According to part 4 of this analysis that claim won't hold when mixing acetone and gasoline.
http://neubranderinc.com/blog/2007/0...oline-concept/
In this case the author could not find an exact value for gasoline and chose to use an average of the surface tension of gasoline's components.

Quote:

Also, where did you get this most cars burn 98% of their fuel idea from. Is this including the large percentage that gets burned off in the catalytic converter?
This information I got from a mechanic a couple years ago. However I did find an article on motor scooters which don't have to meet the strict emissions levels cars do and don't have catalytic converters. A 1968 2 stroke scooter emits 0.49% unburned hydrocarbons. A more modern 2 stroke scooter emits 0.11% unburned hydrocarbons. A modern 4 stroke emits 0.0168% unburned hydrocarbons. To get the percentage of unburned fuel I think we need to multiply these values by the stoichiometric fuel ratio of 14.7 for gasoline engines. So that results in 7.2% , 1.6%, and 0.25% of the fuel left unburned respectively. Granted these are motor scooters and not car engines however the budget for developing car engines is much greater than the budget for developing motor scooters. Also the technology employed to burn fuel efficiently and completely is far more advanced in a car engine than it is in a motor scooter. From this data I think it is safe to say cars burn 98% of their fuel.

http://wweek.com/editorial/3240/7867

Note: I think the author has CO2 confused with CO emissions

Quote:

If it does cause the fuel to burn quicker then the ecu will see any knock and retard the timing which doesnt really mean anything by itself about fuel economy. Timing is all about making the flame front hit the piston approximately 15degrees after TDC. If the flame front moves faster, this would be a good thing as long as it still reaches the piston at that point.
An engine that has its timing retarded produces less power per unit of fuel and thus runs less efficiently.

Quote:

The car may immediately start adjusting, but it takes about 200 miles for fuel trims to stabilize and even when they do, any little change will cause it to adapt more. Thats at least a half a tank no matter what you drive before the ecu actually knows what its doing.
Quote:

We will have to agree that we disagree on this. Cars adjust rather quickly to changes in altitude and weather. They have to to meet emissions.
trikkonceptz's procedure definitely could have been improved by using 4 consecutive fill ups with each step and averaging the results ignoring the tank of gas that the ecu is in transition mode. I am conducting my own experiment right now using this method. Ill post the results as they come it.

Also, try comparing a 80s economy car... say a 1986 honda civic with say... a 2006 Honda Civic. Or how about a 1986 Toyota Corolla with a 2006 Toyota. Of course with a high end luxury car your not going to see great gas mileage in the 80s.
I thought I might spend a moment debunking the source of this myth. If you look at the different versions by the originator of this myth you will see that he claims to have 50 years of data on this.
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://...s/additive.htm

However despite having 50 years of data his acetone ratios change wildly in the first 6 months and he claims that the ratios must be precise. He claims that he isn't in this for profit and he is giving these findings to the world for free. This was a half truth, at the time he was selling scan gauges for people to try and verify this myth. He is essentially pulling off the classic scam of giving away a fake treasure map and selling you a shovel.

NeilBlanchard 06-25-2008 12:38 PM

Hi,

Mythbusters results on acetone as a fuel additive: Busted.

http://mythbustersresults.com/episode53

gteclass 07-01-2008 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConnClark (Post 38254)
This information I got from a mechanic a couple years ago. However I did find an article on motor scooters which don't have to meet the strict emissions levels cars do and don't have catalytic converters. A 1968 2 stroke scooter emits 0.49% unburned hydrocarbons. A more modern 2 stroke scooter emits 0.11% unburned hydrocarbons. A modern 4 stroke emits 0.0168% unburned hydrocarbons. To get the percentage of unburned fuel I think we need to multiply these values by the stoichiometric fuel ratio of 14.7 for gasoline engines. So that results in 7.2% , 1.6%, and 0.25% of the fuel left unburned respectively. Granted these are motor scooters and not car engines however the budget for developing car engines is much greater than the budget for developing motor scooters. Also the technology employed to burn fuel efficiently and completely is far more advanced in a car engine than it is in a motor scooter. From this data I think it is safe to say cars burn 98% of their fuel.

Willamette Week | “Polluter Scooters” | August 9th, 2006

Note: I think the author has CO2 confused with CO emissions

An engine that has its timing retarded produces less power per unit of fuel and thus runs less efficiently.

I thought I might spend a moment debunking the source of this myth. If you look at the different versions by the originator of this myth you will see that he claims to have 50 years of data on this.
Internet Archive Wayback Machine

However despite having 50 years of data his acetone ratios change wildly in the first 6 months and he claims that the ratios must be precise. He claims that he isn't in this for profit and he is giving these findings to the world for free. This was a half truth, at the time he was selling scan gauges for people to try and verify this myth. He is essentially pulling off the classic scam of giving away a fake treasure map and selling you a shovel.

So by measuring the HC in the exhaust gasses, how are you measuring the ammount of fuel lost to blowby during the compression stroke? It ends up in the oil. Perhaps you should track down those scooters with their 1 or 2 cylinder engines that have probably proportional blowby for thier size and measure the gasoline content of the oil.

Timing is a bit more complex than that , more timing only means more efficient if the engine is retarded to begin with. You add timing if the flame front hits the piston late, you take timing if the flame front hits the piston early. When it hits it at the "right" time which is about 15 degrees past TDC then you are at ideal timing.

Maybe, just maybe, his acetone ratio changed so much in the first 6 months for experimental purposes, maybe he just didnt have the ratio correct. I have seen a couple mpg improvement so far and im not being precise really. Also, is he saying he will give you the treasure map with the purchase of a shovel, no, he gives you the treasure map and if you feel it looks like a probable location for treasure he just happens to also sell shovels. The device he is selling is useful with or without the acetone.

ConnClark 07-03-2008 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gteclass (Post 40122)
So by measuring the HC in the exhaust gasses, how are you measuring the ammount of fuel lost to blowby during the compression stroke? It ends up in the oil. Perhaps you should track down those scooters with their 1 or 2 cylinder engines that have probably proportional blowby for thier size and measure the gasoline content of the oil.

Two of these scooters were two strokes. Any blow by during the compression stroke would be mixed with the next intake charge. This would totally negate any effect of fuel slipping past the rings. Similarly in a four stroke car engine, the gas fumes in the blow by get sucked up into the intake via the PCV and burned that way. Otherwise if just one percent of the fuel slipped by the rings we would probably have about a gallon of gas diluting our oil when we changed it.

If your trying to imply that acetone some how magically keeps fuel from getting past the rings I suggest you try a different approach. This argument won't get you anywhere.

Quote:

Timing is a bit more complex than that , more timing only means more efficient if the engine is retarded to begin with. You add timing if the flame front hits the piston late, you take timing if the flame front hits the piston early. When it hits it at the "right" time which is about 15 degrees past TDC then you are at ideal timing.

Maybe, just maybe, his acetone ratio changed so much in the first 6 months for experimental purposes, maybe he just didnt have the ratio correct.
If he says that its important to be very precise in the very beginning and he has been experimenting with this for more than 50 years, why would the latest 6 months of experimentation change his ratios so drastically? Typically people start with big changes and narrow in on an optimum amount by making little changes at the end. You would think after 50 years he would be making very very minor tweaks.

Quote:

I have seen a couple mpg improvement so far and im not being precise really. Also, is he saying he will give you the treasure map with the purchase of a shovel, no, he gives you the treasure map and if you feel it looks like a probable location for treasure he just happens to also sell shovels. The device he is selling is useful with or without the acetone.
Not quite. He gives away a fake treasure map. People go follow the map and come back to him and say there is no treasure. He tells them that they can't dig it up by hand and they have to use a shovel. He sells them a shovel. people follow map and use shovel to dig. The people still don't find a treasure. The people wanted treasure and end up with a shovel they never wanted to buy. The only person with treasure is the scam artist selling the shovels.

trikkonceptz 07-03-2008 07:31 PM

Well Conn, you have put down alot of information on how my placebo (Acetone), does not work. To be honest, I picked up the tip from a fellow tuner that has been using it in his fuel for over 5 years, well before the gas crunch and he enjoyed the boost in mileage. I use it now religiously and I enjoy the boost in mileage.

No bit of scientific jabber will take away from the benefits my vehicle is seeing. And since I do not sell Acetone I have nothing to gain from promoting its use. Therefore bury yourself in inconclusive evidence and theories, while I enjoy exceeding my epa rating by insane amounts.

Hell, I paid $4.00 for the quart, which has lasted me well over 20 tanks so far and it should get me close to 32 tank fulls, divided by $4.00, its costing me pennies to fill with this stuff and I therefore react to it by saving myself 3 miles per gallon, 30 miles per tank lets say multiplied by 32, thats 960 miles of extra driving the $4.00 bought me. Real or not, it is my perception and if thats the price I have to pay then its justified.

I just wish that those who do not understand it would stop discouraging someone else from trying it.

ConnClark 07-03-2008 07:49 PM

There is more jabber on how it might work just for you trikkonceptz.

The placebo effect can play a role in real mileage improvements. Since how you drive plays a major role in mileage, mood of the driver has been identified as identified as a factor in fuel economy.

Happy content drivers are less likely to drive aggressively. Angry and frustrated drivers drive more aggressively. If you believe you are saving fuel by using acetone in your fuel and this makes you happy you may see real world improvements in mileage.

Beyond the placebo effect there is no scientific proof that acetone improves mileage.

Trust me I hate the draconian, oppressive, and unfair First,Second, and Third laws of thermodynamics as much as anyone. However I will live by these laws until someone finds a way to subvert or repeal them.

trikkonceptz 07-03-2008 09:13 PM

Funny thing though. For a moment lets assume it does nothing, has no effect. At least no one I know is claiming that it is detrimental other than it being a chemical you do not want in contact with your skin (Like Gas), or on the surface of your vehicle(Like gas).

SO basically we have found a chemical that blends with gasoline and does nothing to it at all, will combust in small quanities with no effect, will therefore burn off with no effect, thereby becoming no more than a phycological waste of money.

How many chemicals do you know of that can be mixed with gasoline to offer the same results? Meaning no results with no trace of its use?

Excluding Acetone, are there any chemicals to aid in the burning of fuel? No cleaners and deposit eliminators, aids to gasoline?

Because what we run on is not perfect, so therefore there has to a way to make it better than not using it. Obviously a question for chemical engineers, but as mythbusters say ... I still feel this one is plausible, and I only wish that Acetone in my tank would make me happier or less agressive and more prone to better driving.

ConnClark 07-11-2008 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikkonceptz (Post 40901)
Funny thing though. For a moment lets assume it does nothing, has no effect. At least no one I know is claiming that it is detrimental other than it being a chemical you do not want in contact with your skin (Like Gas), or on the surface of your vehicle(Like gas).

Acetone weakens plastics and is detrimental to rubber. Many fuel system components are made of plastics and rubber that are sensitive to acetone. One example in particular is a diaphragm type fuel pump.

Quote:

SO basically we have found a chemical that blends with gasoline and does nothing to it at all, will combust in small quanities with no effect, will therefore burn off with no effect, thereby becoming no more than a phycological waste of money.

How many chemicals do you know of that can be mixed with gasoline to offer the same results? Meaning no results with no trace of its use?
A few come to mind such as alcohol.
Quote:

Excluding Acetone,
Acetone has been excluded.
Quote:

are there any chemicals to aid in the burning of fuel? No cleaners and deposit eliminators, aids to gasoline?
Not a chemical per say, but an element. Platinum will act as a catalyst. Unfortunately mixing it with gasoline has not provided any real improvements in combustion efficiency or emissions according to the EPA.
Quote:

Because what we run on is not perfect, so therefore there has to a way to make it better than not using it. Obviously a question for chemical engineers,
Incidentally I discussed this with a chemical engineer. He said adding acetone to gasoline was bunk too.

Quote:

but as mythbusters say ... I still feel this one is plausible, and I only wish that Acetone in my tank would make me happier or less agressive and more prone to better driving.
Actually if you paid attention to a previous post, Mythbusters busted Acetone. Perhaps quoting the phrase " I reject your reality, and substitute my own." would be more appropriate.

wagonman76 07-20-2008 09:54 PM

Well today I got very good results with acetone. 38 mpg at 90% highway. Same trip Ive been doing for years, with consistent 31-32 mpg results. Id already been doing the easy stuff, slowing down, keeping it it OD whenever possible, even the ecomods didnt do a whole lot for my highway mpg. (Helped a lot going back and forth to work.) Ive never gotten even close to this mpg before.

I about crapped my pants when I figured the mileage, so I double checked some things. I used the same station and pump that Ive used many times before. I pumped at .1 gal / sec. I clicked it off twice then called it good. Just like any other time. My odometer was correct because after so many years of this same trip I know how far it is between certain points. Typically at 32 highway mpg my needle crosses F at 46 miles. This time it went much farther. Had I not completely filled up this time Id think my needle would come down much faster, but I got home after 60 miles and it was still above F. Also if the pump spot is really sloped, it will affect me by 1 mpg either way depending on slope, but there was no real slope at this one or last one. I topped off with the same 3 oz to 10 gal. I printed a chart in the car. Also I use a long funnel and turkey baster and keep it all in the trunk. The next fillup will tell the full story but it looks really good so far.

I consistently got about a 3 mpg gain with an old Lumina van a few years ago. I tried it once in the Celeb and it didnt make a difference, however I may not have been doing it correctly. Last week I figured what the heck, lets try it again but the right way. With the van I pretty much figured out that to make it work, you need to take an educated guess as to how many gallons you will put in, put in the appropriate amount of acetone, then fill the tank so it mixes well. Otherwise it appears to just evaporate off the top since it does nothing for mpg if you put it in after the gas. At least for me anyway.

BlackDeuceCoupe 07-20-2008 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blownintegra (Post 35363)
when I used to sniff acetone, my mileage went down...

so did my IQ...;)

Bwahahaha!

I used to sniff acetone too! I still do, but I used to sniff acetone before too...

Um...

What was the topic :confused:

Will 07-20-2008 10:20 PM

Honestly, I see no reason to go back and forth in this negative way. We are all on here to share helpful info. No matter how logical or scientific your point maybe we should not belittle each other.

I think different things work for different cars, and different people. Many people have debunked Cold air intakes over and over again, but my homemade dryer vent hose version has produced better results. For this reason I use it. It may not work for others, but it does for me.

Personally I think we should focus on the things important to us all and stop this negativity. PEACE, LOVE, AND CHICKEN GREASE!!!!

dann_04 07-21-2008 12:36 PM

any one here think that perhaps the acetone acts as a fuel injector/carb cleaner and not a fuel booster? Or maybe it helps take the water out of the fuel like heat? Both of these would help with consistant mpg's, especially if you drop it in a car with dirty injectors or watery fuel...just my thought, i'm sceptical though lol. Also I think the comment about 1/3785th of a gallon of acetone doing anything is kindo f funny because adding anything will change the chemical make up of the solution. For instance, would you drink a gallon of water with 1/3785th gallons of arsenic added(or my spit for that matter)? lol probably not because it is still there and will probably do something different than if it wasn't there. But really i think it is an interesting topic i just get sad when people get so angry and closed minded. Keep it civil and lets see what we figure out as a group:)

BlackDeuceCoupe 07-22-2008 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dann_04 (Post 46030)
any one here think that perhaps the acetone acts as a fuel injector/carb cleaner and not a fuel booster?

Yes! Thank you!!!

I was going to remark on that, but I can't do this all myself... :cool:

In my voluminous career - I was once a boat mechanic - motorcycle & marine mechanic, to be exact!

Here was the drill for 2-stroke outboard owners...
  • Gets too cold to fish, ski, whatever in September. Also, it evidently gets too cold to drain the ^%$# gas lines on the outboard. Hello?!?!?
  • April rolls around and the gas (from September) has now evaporated, but NOT the oil, which has now turned to glue!
  • Mr. Stupid-Lazy brings boat into the shop complaining that he cannot get it started...
  • Shop owner says no problem - we'll do a major tuneup for $100!
  • We pump acetone through the fuel system and let it do it's thing while setting the ignition timing, checking the water pump impeller for missing vanes etc, and making sure the lower-end has grease in it (not water).
  • Acetone is purged, motor is cranked - ching, ching - $100 for a 1/2 hour work.

Bottom line: Personally, I *think* all this acetone is doing is eating the built-up deposits off fuel injectors, intake valves and combustion chambers - same as running high-detergent Top Tier gas (Shell, Chevron, Texaco) - but to each his own... ;)

Gregte 07-22-2008 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackDeuceCoupe (Post 46384)
Bottom line: Personally, I *think* all this acetone is doing is eating the built-up deposits off fuel injectors, intake valves and combustion chamber...

That makes very good sense since some of the acetone advocates say that it helps more on the second tank of fuel than the first.

dann_04 07-22-2008 12:00 PM

I's really the only thing that makes sense to me i mean it removes paint, nail polish, and other stuck on messes, so why not carbon deposits. If it was a crazy fuel booster i have a feeling it would already be in the gas, or would be sold by the small bottle for very expensive. Just my 2-censt though.

DocZ 07-26-2008 01:13 AM

03 Dodge Dakota ClubCab,V8 4.7 spd auto.
I added 1.5 oz per 10 imp gallons on my last and current tank. I'm skeptical about things like this but decided it might be worth a try considering gas being over 6 bucks a gallon is having a bit of an impact on my wallet.
I noticed within a few blocks that there was more power than before, not scientifically but by being able to spin both 295/50/16's all the way through first with a full tank of gas.
Anyways, I average about 14.7 mpg all city driving (imp. gal.), I filled up tonight, same gas station, same fill procedure and same pump and show better than 20 mpg from last tank of gas.
Nothing I've done to the truck over the last 3 years has improved throttle response AND mpg like adding the acetone.

metromizer 07-28-2008 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dann_04 (Post 46477)
I's really the only thing that makes sense to me i mean it removes paint, nail polish, and other stuck on messes, so why not carbon deposits...

For removing carbon deposits on the workbench, I've found acetone not-so-good for cleaning up piston tops and combustion chambers.

Diesel fuel works better, Chevron 'Techron' concentrate works better still

ConnClark 07-28-2008 11:47 PM

I agree that this is a place for for sharing helpful information. It is dubious at best that adding acetone to your fuel will improve mileage however. Furthermore the fact that it degrades rubber and plastic parts in fuel systems presents safety issues.

To the implications that I have been closed minded about things I will counter that I have asked proponents about what mechanism adding acetone improves mileage. So far they have put forward it lowers surface tension, it causes fuel to burn more completely, and it seals the rings better preventing fuel from slipping past them. Each of these I have researched and posted arguments backed with data that have not been refuted. If I were being closed minded I would not have expended the effort to research it.

As for coming off as being harsh and nasty in my last post it was just an aggressive response to a passive aggressive attempt to make false assertions and misrepresent facts. I do admit that my proposed alternate Mythbusters quote was flippant and facetious.

And now to respond to the most recent proposed theories....

I will admit acetone has some detergent properties. However this would not explain why acetone proponents claim that any improvements cease when they don't add it at the next fill up. Their engine's valves, injectors, and carburetor don't get dirty that quickly. Also there are much better detergents that don't attack rubber and plastic.

As far as acetone neutralizing water in gasoline acting like dry heat I put forth the following. Adding dry heat only allows more water to be absorbed as part of the solution of fuel rather than in its pure form. It does not allow the water to contribute to combustion. The net effect of a given amount of water per tank full introduced in either way only reduces fuel economy to the extent of the amount of fuel it displaces. (refer to page 3)
http://www.epa.gov/oms/regs/fuels/rfg/waterphs.pdf

Drinking 1/3785th of a gallon of arsenic is just as toxic as drinking 1/3785th a gallon of arsenic with 3784/3785th a gallon of water. It does not alter the chemical make up of the water or make the water itself toxic. Other than diluting the energy content much like water does, what chemical does it change it too if acetone alters the chemical content of gasoline ?

Coyote X 07-29-2008 01:21 AM

I picked up 4mpg way back when I first got my xfi by trying 3oz of acetone each fillup ~8gal. I did that for about 3 tanks then quit using it. My mileage stayed the same and didn't drop. So I pretty much decided that it is a good injector cleaner for a car with 100k or more on it. It is also cheaper than those little bottles of cleaner.

As far as changing the way the engine burns the gas or whatever. My setup has an audio based knock sensor, wideband O2 sensor and Megasquirt computer with realtime display. I tried acetone again, this time the fuel/ignition systems were already clean and in absolute perfect tune before adding it. Nothing changed at all. No difference in the sound of the knock sensor so the timing didn't need to change and the wideband was showing a still perfect tune. My mileage also didn't change. So that little test also didn't change my mind and I still think it might make a good cheap fuel system cleaner.

So my opinion is that if you average 5 tanks on each part of an A-B-A test that you probably won't see a change, not counting the first tank of B and the second A to let the car adjust if it is obdII based. But if you have a car with a lot of miles or possibly a non ideal tune it might help out some. It is maybe possible it can make the gas burn a tiny amount faster/slower so if the timing is not ideal from factory or just out of tune you might get lucky and the acetone/gas mix can get the car closer to what it is currently tuned for. But tuning the engine and not bothering with the acetone seems like a smarter idea to me :)

crexcrex 07-29-2008 01:40 AM

forget acetone.........think methyl hydrate

Been there done that, acetone is about as effective as mothballs in your tank................however! methyl hydrate is a rocket additive.......added i liter to one tank of gas to rid myself of water forming in the tank. Here in wonderful wet monsoon British Columbia Canada winter means rain.

Back to methyl hydrate.............they say that the methyl hydrate will ruin the fuel lines..................may be so but it certainly boosted my gasoline to a higher octane rating............some guys use the stuff to pass the air care inspection..............to reduce emissions? then they stuck us with a 2.4 cent per liter carbon tax................

surely methyl hydrate cannot be debunked............

Lazarus 07-29-2008 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crexcrex (Post 48655)
Been there done that, acetone is about as effective as mothballs in your tank................however! methyl hydrate is a rocket additive.......added i liter to one tank of gas to rid myself of water forming in the tank. Here in wonderful wet monsoon British Columbia Canada winter means rain.

Back to methyl hydrate.............they say that the methyl hydrate will ruin the fuel lines..................may be so but it certainly boosted my gasoline to a higher octane rating............some guys use the stuff to pass the air care inspection..............to reduce emissions? then they stuck us with a 2.4 cent per liter carbon tax................

surely methyl hydrate cannot be debunked............

If that's methanol it worked for the model T.

Here's a Wiki article.

Quote:

However, its low energy content of 19.7 MJ/kg and stoichiometric air fuel ratio of 6.42:1 mean that fuel consumption (on volume or mass basis) will be higher than hydrocarbon fuels. The extra water produced also makes the charge rather wet and combined with the formation of acidic products during combustion, the wearing of valves, valveseats and cylinder can be higher than with hydrocarbon burning. Certain additives may be added to motor oil in order to neutralize these acids.

crexcrex 07-29-2008 04:55 PM

Methylhydrate?

I strongly suggest that when you research any particular topic that you state all of the facts rather than select what you may think is appropriate to suit the occaision.

Methyl Hydrate in Model T'S, yes they did actually use it but then again mobil used it mixed with gas in the seventies i think that they called it MTBE, by the way it is also used in race cars gasoline, Methyl Hydrate and nitous Oxide.

What do you think is used in gasline antifreeze. PePsi Cola? was also used in ,Redstone to be precise to reduce combustion chamber temperatures.

I am not saying that it is a good idea to use Methyl Hydrate but it certainly comes in handy in cold climes for frozen gas lines as well as to dissapate water in the fuel tank or perhaps you would prefer walking in snow up to your ears and enjoy thirty below weather.

What i did state was that by adding methyl Hydrate to gasoline on could easily pass the air care by emitting less polutants and that i did note an increase in power. One liter per four gallons of gas unlike acetone which i have used and produced imaginary fuel reduction.

On the other hand Ethanol creates high levels of ozone at ground levels and the cool part is that one of the by products is Formaldehyde so if you are a non smoker get used to the idea that is what you are sucking into your lungs and you don't have to have a cigarette.

As far as I am concerned this matter re Methyl Hydrate is closed, when you research a subject do it well before coming off with what you think is stating the facts. My source try wiki encyclopedia plus i have used the stuff and will again this winter as well as when i have to pass air care and if you prefer that i don't forward a check for 250.00 so i can have a proffesional mechanic do the same whereas it costs me less than three bucks.

MTBE? quite possibly legal in your state............Ethanol? what do you think it does to your fuel lines even at 10 percent? happy motoring.

Subject is now closed

Lazarus 07-29-2008 05:09 PM

OK

BlackDeuceCoupe 07-30-2008 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crexcrex (Post 48854)
One liter per four gallons of gas unlike acetone which i have used and produced imaginary fuel reduction...

Subject is now closed

Oh, come on now...

If ppl want to believe in The Tooth Fairy, The Easter Bunny, Santa Claus and Acetone - what harm does it do?

You're a very bad man!!! :p

crexcrex 07-30-2008 03:53 AM

you are right deuce!

Who am i to tamper with Santa, the tooth fairy etc, i apologize for shattering people's dreams, sniffle, sniffle..........

saunders1313 07-30-2008 07:32 PM

This is all very nice, but I'd like to give this a try. I drive a 4-stroke 2 cylinder motorcycle, with a carb. Exactly how pure is the acetone you're using? Is it like nail polish remover or are you getting it from somewhere else?