EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Rear view camera MANDATE (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/rear-view-camera-mandate-15364.html)

Frank Lee 12-03-2010 09:43 PM

Rear view camera MANDATE

Rearview cameras in cars could become more common under plan to address accidental backovers | StarTribune.com

Hmmm... $2,700,000,000/100= $27,000,000/life. :rolleyes:

tim3058 12-03-2010 10:33 PM

The government estimated the new requirements would cost about $1.9 billion to $2.7 billion (Sigh) ... just makes you wonder whats next.

I do work for the DOT - typical traffic fatality estimate was $1m/life last i knew, seems like $27M/life could be better applied elsewhere in an industry that killed some 34,000 people last year...

Angmaar 12-03-2010 10:44 PM

What about using these things called eyes and looking behind you before you back up?

Woah, crazy idea.

bestclimb 12-03-2010 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angmaar (Post 207681)
What about using these things called eyes and looking behind you before you back up?

Woah, crazy idea.

No WAY, I am not turning my head to see behind me that is way out of line to expect me to look at the area my 1+ ton piece of equipment is going to be going.

Follow the dollers. My guess is company that sells back up cameras is not moving enough product, says to Mr. congrass man

"see all these people getting squarshed by these blind people not looking behind them while driving cars with useless back windows, it's a real tragedy".

"I just don't know what to do". says congress critter.

"You know if we were to mandate rear view cameras we would eliminate this senseless bother".

"how about a greased palm hand shake, everybody wins".

IsaacCarlson 12-03-2010 11:30 PM

I have noticed that a lot of the newer vehicles have HUGE blind spots and almost no visibility. I like being able to see everything in my vehicles.

Frank Lee 12-03-2010 11:36 PM

^Then the solution would be to drive a vehicle with good rearward visibility.

LOL "squarshed"

Rokeby 12-04-2010 06:35 AM

While the idea of saving a child's life is commendable, IMHO, the camera bit
is overkill. :rolleyes:

There are simpler/cheaper ways to ensure that drivers verify that it is clear
to the rear. I would suggest a small weatherproof switch mounted on the
trunk.

This driver would have to go to the trunk to push the button before the
vehicle can be started or perhaps shifted out of neutral. The real purpose of
course is to have the driver look around while back there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 207710)
LOL "squarshed"

+1 LOL

The sanitized image:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2055/...6f995bc57d.jpg

And yes, apparently there are armadillo in Arkansas, although I have no
direct experience on the subject:
http://bss.sfsu.edu/geog/bholzman/co...armadillo2.jpg

IsaacCarlson 12-04-2010 10:11 AM

we could mod that.....

jamesqf 12-04-2010 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 207648)
Hmmm... $2,700,000,000/100= $27,000,000/life. :rolleyes:

At $200/camera, though? A quick search finds aftermarket ones at $50-$80. Add mass production and larger market, and the price goes even lower.

Just for myself, I'd like having one that would replace rear view mirrors, and which could do image processing to cut the nighttime glare from all the $@#! idiots who don't know what low beams are for.

skyl4rk 12-04-2010 01:27 PM

Exactly, I was hoping to read a thread that discussed the government requiring backup cameras and eliminating external mirrors to reduce the amount of fuel used by Americans by about 3%.

bestclimb 12-04-2010 02:06 PM

Having the option to buy a car with cameras replacing mirros is great. I can't really get on board with requiring them though.

robchalmers 12-04-2010 02:16 PM

Working at Bentley where we have RVCs on most cars AND parking distance sensors AND wing mirrors AND interior mirrors we still have owners reversing into things, even members of staff have done it! (engineering car not a customer car!!)its not a cure-all infact I find it makes people lazy

Can people have cameras fixed to them to make sure they don't walk out behind a large motorised tvehicle they should have heard???

gone-ot 12-04-2010 03:30 PM

...why don't we (government) simply mandate that NO IDIOTS be allowed behind the wheel...of ANY vehicle?

...oh, I fogot, that'd elminate THEM (government) from driving too, wouldn't it?!?!

ecofreak 12-04-2010 04:00 PM

If we paid for initiatives to reduce the amount of SUVs used in subdivisions, and tighter punishment on texting while driving, we can reduce these, quoting Diane Sawyer on the matters, "...crushing stories".

Ryland 12-04-2010 04:41 PM

Last time I looked we didn't have a shortage of people out there.

According to the DMV person, a police officer can require that anyone be retested to keep their license, I think that any time someone gets in a fender bender that they be retested.

tumnasgt 12-04-2010 04:42 PM

I'd be surprised if kids aren't getting run over forwards as well with SUVs, as they are just so high off the ground. My grandfather's Lexus LX is hellish to park because you can't see anything around the car's hood.

I think cameras are great for people that end up driving around kids a lot (I know a pool repairman that does a lot of work for schools, he has 3 cameras on his pickup, and still does a walk-around before getting in to drive), and opt to have them fitted. If all cars had them, I doubt most people would look at all.

roflwaffle 12-06-2010 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 207648)

Where are you getting $2.7 billion from?

Frank Lee 12-06-2010 11:30 PM

Oh, I just pulled it outta my .......

no, wait. It's in the link.

autoteach 12-06-2010 11:44 PM

Where did you get that link, out of your butt too?

Frank Lee 12-07-2010 12:32 AM

Are you two in a contest to see who can come up with the dumbest questions? :confused:

roflwaffle 12-07-2010 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 208357)
Oh, I just pulled it outta my .......

no, wait. It's in the link.

Just absent minded (didn't see a second page). :o

In that case shouldn't it be $1.9 to $2.7 billion for 143 to 173 (a tenth of the fleet initially, forty percent after that, then the whole fleet) lives and more than 10500 injuries? Just counting the lives lost that's initially about $13+ million per death excluding injuries, and probably ~$4 million per death after the stuff becomes commoditized.

Frank Lee 12-07-2010 01:18 AM

Oh, I thought maybe my chain wuz bean yanked.

Yes I should have included the whole range. Ya know I cain't hardly put two an two tagether sometimes.

Here's one viewpoint from someone with exposure to these:

Quote:

I drove tour bus for years and had a camera on the back of the bus. It was the most worthless thing on it. During the winter it got covered by snow. When the bus was washed it was no longer in adjustment to show what it should. When it rained you couldn't see what the camera was showing. Stupid idea, since most people are lazy and will not clean the thing or make sure that it is working. Most people right now are to lazy to make sure ALL the lights on their vehicle work, how can we expect them to use a camera?
Another:

Quote:

The low tire pressure warning system was estimated by our overbearing gov't to cost only $50 more per vehicle, but when I was told I HAD to have the sensors replaced in 3 of my tires, they quoted me $125 EACH. What a crock!!! Don't believe these lowball gov't estimates.

roflwaffle 12-07-2010 03:25 PM

If shops ripping people off was really indicative of government safety regs I think cars would have been banned decades ago. ;)

autoteach 12-07-2010 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roflwaffle (Post 208458)
If shops ripping people off was really indicative of government safety regs I think cars would have been banned decades ago. ;)

Yeah, its a total ripoff. I mean, I bet the part cost next to nothing, like these that you can get almost anywhere:
Airaware/Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor (28360) | Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor | 2010 Toyota Camry SE 6 Cylinders K 3.5L EFI DOHC | AutoZone.com

And then they want to get paid to remove a tire, unmount the tire, replace the sensor, and reinstall? I cant believe the snakes! I always double check to make sure they arent ripping me off with www.repairpal.com. Usually they are chargin me through the roof, like the shop that reprogrammed my sister VW drivetrain, powertrain, and BCM computers $100. I bet with minor amounts of training and a $8000 computer I could do it too.

Really, check prices. Not everyone is ripping off customer, but sometimes its convenient for an argument to claim it is happening.

Oh, Franky, I was actually defending you with blatant sarcasm. Sorry for entertaining the competition for stupid questions.

Frank Lee 12-07-2010 09:09 PM

Hard ta tell sometimes

roflwaffle 12-07-2010 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autoteach (Post 208512)
Yeah, its a total ripoff. I mean, I bet the part cost next to nothing, like these that you can get almost anywhere:
Airaware/Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor (28360) | Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor | 2010 Toyota Camry SE 6 Cylinders K 3.5L EFI DOHC | AutoZone.com

And then they want to get paid to remove a tire, unmount the tire, replace the sensor, and reinstall? I cant believe the snakes! I always double check to make sure they arent ripping me off with Auto Repair and Maintenance Estimates | Auto Shop and Mechanic Ratings : RepairPal. Usually they are chargin me through the roof, like the shop that reprogrammed my sister VW drivetrain, powertrain, and BCM computers $100. I bet with minor amounts of training and a $8000 computer I could do it too.

Really, check prices. Not everyone is ripping off customer, but sometimes its convenient for an argument to claim it is happening.

Oh, Franky, I was actually defending you with blatant sarcasm. Sorry for entertaining the competition for stupid questions.

If the brand new TPMS sensors on a brand new car are going out then it's a moot point unless someone is driving ~35k+ miles/year. Of course they're going to be expensive if it's brand spankin' new and probably still covered by the factory warranty.

Based on a quick search someone is looking at way less than $250 each outside of the warranty period. I can't seem to find the forum Frank is quoting, so I can't say if they are overcharging or not, but realistically the costs should be ~$25+ to install the sensor plus whatever the sensor costs and I bet the shop the person was complaining about charged way more than that. I've been quoted $1500 to install a new wp/rad, which is roughly $200 of parts and $1300 of labor, and the same goes for other stuff like O2 sensors, oil seals, and so on. Labor rates are incredibly high these days. Obviously if I can't afford a the equipment then I'm gonna have to shell out the cash no matter what, but that doesn't mean that auto repairs, and repairs in general still don't border on obscene these days.

autoteach 12-07-2010 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roflwaffle (Post 208526)
Based on a quick search someone is looking at way less than $250 each outside of the warranty period.

I have to believe that you are having a hard time managing your thought process. the cost from the forum that the guy was complaining about was $150, not $250. And, to remove a tire from the vehicle, dismount, change the stem sensor, remount, balance, reset the computer... I think that is worth more than $25. Sorry, some people get paid for what they know and what they can do.

roflwaffle 12-07-2010 10:33 PM

I have to believe that you're acting like an ass! ;)

IME unmounting/mounting a tire runs $15, so no, I don't think being able to unscrew a sensor a put a new one on is worth more than $10 (Add ~$10-20 for balancing I suppose, but I doubt it'll need it unless the new TPMS is drastically different compared to the old one). People get paid what the market will bear. If a company wants to charge $100/hour in labor and all the other companies do the same then that's what's gonna happen, but that doesn't make $100/hour reasonable.

jamesqf 12-08-2010 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roflwaffle (Post 208526)
Based on a quick search someone is looking at way less than $250 each...

Aftermarket $89 for four tires, here: Tire Rack : Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

autoteach 12-08-2010 02:51 PM

oh god, as seen one tv. How does the weight on the end of the valve stem effect life of said valve stem. AND, will these serve as a replacement for the factory placement and interface with the factory computer. if you dont do this, is it ok to have the tire light on in the vehicle while you own it? when you try to sell it? I just ask these questions because we should be talking about the average consumer. frank would put tape over the light on the dash ;)

jamesqf 12-08-2010 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autoteach (Post 208640)
How does the weight on the end of the valve stem effect life of said valve stem.

How does the weight of e.g. fancy chromed metal valve caps vs the standard plastic affect the valve stem?

Quote:

AND, will these serve as a replacement for the factory placement and interface with the factory computer.
Why should they, if you've already got a built-in TPS? The point is, the sensors and transmitters are all pretty much the same, and dirt cheap - or maybe I should say silicon cheap, 'cause they're integrated circuits, and if you can build one, the incremental cost for turning out millions isn't much. So if someone is quoting you hundreds of dollars for replacement, either they're talking labor, or pulling the old "charge way over the market for OEM parts" scam.

Quote:

...we should be talking about the average consumer.
Why? I prefer not to have my life restricted by the least-common-denominator limitations of the average idiot.

autoteach 12-08-2010 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesqf (Post 208641)
How does the weight of e.g. fancy chromed metal valve caps vs the standard plastic affect the valve stem?

Why should they, if you've already got a built-in TPS? The point is, the sensors and transmitters are all pretty much the same, and dirt cheap - or maybe I should say silicon cheap, 'cause they're integrated circuits, and if you can build one, the incremental cost for turning out millions isn't much. So if someone is quoting you hundreds of dollars for replacement, either they're talking labor, or pulling the old "charge way over the market for OEM parts" scam.

Why? I prefer not to have my life restricted by the least-common-denominator limitations of the average idiot.

Well, I am sure that the weight of small chrome caps are not significant. But, go ahead, have your valve stems tear off. I have seen it before, but I know that there will be someone who will argue...

As for the cheap as silicone, sure you can get aftermarket. That is what autozone is. some cars are considerably cheaper, some aren't. I dont think autozone is OEM, but then again you have many options out there like CQ, NAPA, Checker, etc...

WHY? well, the average consumer wouldnt have inflated the tires to 51psi (turning on the light in the first place) and the average consumer wouldnt have coroplast hanging off their car and....It is absolutely fair to pay $150 for the install of the sensor that I was showing. Can I find a brand with cheaper sensors, give me a second...

autoteach 12-08-2010 03:46 PM

Airaware/Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor (20315) | Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor | 2010 Ford Mustang 6 Cylinders N 4.0L SFI SOHC | AutoZone.com

So, the fair install and pricing would probably be some where in the $85-90. The "I'm not the average consumer" is played out really often in shops and it gets pretty old. Most recent, shimming valves. After 1-2hrs of helping the individuals working on the project to understand the concept, talk them through the steps, get them the right shims and free exchange...we are doing the work for them because they screwed it up. Should we charge them for the time on the phone and in person when they were not the average consumer? We dont, we havent, and probably wont. Is that fair to us? they might be able to do some of their own work some day, but a majority will not be able to do it because most people cant change a tire or check their fluids. Is this right? I dont think so but it is reality.

Frank Lee 04-01-2014 10:29 PM

NHTSA Rules Back Up Cameras Mandatory In New Cars

Well here it is. Enjoy.

gone-ot 04-01-2014 10:49 PM

You cannot legislate Stupidity, but our NHSTA and Congress seem to be working at making it manditory that stupidity is OK and acceptable.

UltArc 04-01-2014 11:44 PM

And how much s*** will get hit on the sides because some moron is staring at their video system? Why use my peripheral vision, checking all around my car, and paying attention, when I can have a small shot of just one area- people never ride bikes down the sidewalk, go jogging, drive their cars down the road. Heck, people aren't dim enough to stare, turn their wheel, and bang into the car next to them.

My best friend has a wife. Her and her family each have a back up camera in their premium cars. Not only has my Mustang been hit by her with the camera going while backing up, but four other accidents have occurred (that I know about) within the past two years.

This is so ridiculous. C'mon son.

botsapper 04-01-2014 11:50 PM

Mandating electro - optical devices, cameras to look back, means - your wish for more aero-efficient SIDE cameras are next!

SoobieOut 04-02-2014 12:31 AM

I would rather just have the sonar sensors in the bumper.
Where I live kids are constantly running behind the cars in parking lots. Families in Utah are large, and parents have trouble keeping track of the kids.

Frank Lee 04-02-2014 12:46 AM

Don't worry- they'll make more.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...enodoritos.jpg

TexasCotton 04-02-2014 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autoteach (Post 208646)
Well, I am sure that the weight of small chrome caps are not significant. But, go ahead, have your valve stems tear off. I have seen it before, but I know that there will be someone who will argue...

As for the cheap as silicone, sure you can get aftermarket. That is what autozone is. some cars are considerably cheaper, some aren't. I dont think autozone is OEM, but then again you have many options out there like CQ, NAPA, Checker, etc...

WHY? well, the average consumer wouldnt have inflated the tires to 51psi (turning on the light in the first place) and the average consumer wouldnt have coroplast hanging off their car and....It is absolutely fair to pay $150 for the install of the sensor that I was showing. Can I find a brand with cheaper sensors, give me a second...

I am going to wade in here ..... I really do not care for TPMS... although are now mandatory....to me I like too check/inspect my tires regular for any foreign object.....when oem had to install the TPMS the whole system really was horid and sucked...with the stupid dash light ......which does not tell you where something is failed or bad but just that you may have sometin bad.....
too many drivers go around with under inflated and worn tires.....