EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Rear Wheel Skirt Cad Drawing for Civic VX (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/rear-wheel-skirt-cad-drawing-civic-vx-30817.html)

lilwilly75 01-07-2015 03:22 PM

Rear Wheel Skirt Cad Drawing for Civic VX

I don't want to reinvent the wheel, but I am going to add wheel skirts to my 1995 Civic VX Hatchback.

I'd like to form them out of sheet metal, and I would like a cad drawing or a PDF if it exists. Please let me know if you have drawings or if you know where I can buy aftermarket VX wheel skirts.

If this is something that is already on a post, please forgive me, this is my first post here.

Thanks for your time.

MetroMPG 01-07-2015 05:00 PM

Welcome to the forum.

I'll be surprised if someone's done their skirts in CAD... but you never know.

I designed my Firefly (Metro) skirts pretty easily like this:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1325541394

And then trace the wheel arch outline.

From: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...metro-103.html

aerohead 01-07-2015 06:10 PM

sheet metal

Are you going to hammer-form annealed sheet into a complex shape,or rivet structures to pliable sheet and settle for what you get?
NASCAR old-timers have essentially created body mockups on a car,then attached the car to a rotisserie such that they could rotate the car enough to cast concrete molds over the mockups.
After a 30-day cure,sheet steel was hammered into the concrete tooling.With cutting,spot-welding,re-annealing,and additional hammer work,sheet metal body parts were created.

cowmeat 01-07-2015 06:10 PM

I pretty much held a piece of cardboard up to Black Widow's wheel well, and traced the inside with a sharpie.
I cut that out, and there was my template for the wheel wells!

mikeyjd 01-07-2015 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowmeat (Post 462727)
I pretty much held a piece of cardboard up to Black Widow's wheel well, and traced the inside with a sharpie.
I cut that out, and there was my template for the wheel wells!

same

lilwilly75 01-08-2015 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerohead (Post 462726)
Are you going to hammer-form annealed sheet into a complex shape,or rivet structures to pliable sheet and settle for what you get?
NASCAR old-timers have essentially created body mockups on a car,then attached the car to a rotisserie such that they could rotate the car enough to cast concrete molds over the mockups.
After a 30-day cure,sheet steel was hammered into the concrete tooling.With cutting,spot-welding,re-annealing,and additional hammer work,sheet metal body parts were created.

I would like to make them out of sheet metal so it looks like they are supposed to be there. If I have a drawing, I can have them made locally.

I really appreciate the suggestions. This is a great forum, and I enjoy checking out all of the modifications.

AbramWagner 01-08-2015 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilwilly75 (Post 462802)
I would like to make them out of sheet metal so it looks like they are supposed to be there. If I have a drawing, I can have them made locally.

I really appreciate the suggestions. This is a great forum, and I enjoy checking out all of the modifications.

I plan on using CAD to design mine too. CAD=Cardboard Aided Design

freebeard 01-08-2015 01:47 PM

Quote:

I would expect that having them made locally would cost about $500. If you want to know the processes involved look at Ron Covell Creative Metalworking Workshops. Ron Covell is good at what he does.

Templating the wheelwell is the easy part; to get into the third dimension would require a wooden buck and an English wheel.

Then there's the clamping mechanism.

cowmeat 01-08-2015 02:40 PM

Quote:

I plan on using CAD to design mine too. CAD=Cardboard Aided Design
Crap, how did you come up with that before I did? :D

I'm sure there are a lot of "CAD" graduates here . . . myself included

aerohead 01-08-2015 05:03 PM

have them made

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilwilly75 (Post 462802)

If a local fabricator is going to make them,they probably won't want a digital file.
That would be used for computer aided manufacturing on a 5-axis milling machine using a billet of material.
A tin knocker would just need some time with you car.They'd do a heavy wire space frame,then hammer, wheel,and planish panels to fit the frame,spot-welding,then welding/brazing, fitting,grinding,fitting,prime,seal,paint.
They'd also have to design and fabricate an attachment interface which would involve the VX.
A full-scale mockup of the skirts would be the most useful thing a fabricator would see.
You're looking at an enormous expense for something that will never pay for itself.