EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Record Vancouver Fuel Prices (reporter seeking BC ecomodders to interview) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/record-vancouver-fuel-prices-reporter-seeking-bc-ecomodders-37479.html)

War_Wagon 05-05-2019 10:26 AM

Record Vancouver Fuel Prices (reporter seeking BC ecomodders to interview)

Hi, what did I miss? Haha. I haven't been here in years, I got lazy and was driving an old bmw 540 with a 6 speed manual, but now that fuel here is $1.78 a liter, and likely to go over $2 a liter, I need to dust off my stash of old nerdy Hondas. I can't even remember half the stuff I have forgotten about old Insights. I guess that makes me a fair weather ecomodder, but I have always kept an eye out for high FE vehicles and kept them from the crusher. It's good to be back to be honest.

=====

ADMIN EDIT: a Maclean's writer is seeking EcoModder members from BC to talk about the situation. See post #6.

Fat Charlie 05-05-2019 09:06 PM

I put over $50 into my wife's minivan the other day. Looks like we're going to be getting more traffic here soon.

Vman455 05-05-2019 10:01 PM

Eh, I wouldn't bet on it. The EIA's latest forecast, released April 17, is for lower average gasoline prices this summer (expected $2.76/gal) than last (actual $2.85/gal). According to AAA, right now we're at $2.89/gal average, but that's skewed by refinery maintenance on the West coast, where prices are higher than the rest of the country.

MetroMPG 05-06-2019 09:50 PM

War wagon lives!!

It's fate... last week in Ottawa I saw a white Civic like in your avatar. For me that's a first sighting in many years of that generation.

If you can get me a screamin' deal on a 5-speed Mirage ('14+), I'll come get it. They're probably way too new to show up on your radar. :-D

I was just saying the other day that Mitsu should be advertising the heck out of those things in BC, what with your gas prices. But they're not selling nearly as well north of the 49th as south. Odd.

Fat Charlie 05-07-2019 10:46 PM

Inefficient engines produce more cabin heat.

adriennetanner 05-09-2019 06:25 PM

Hi there, Adrienne Tanner here. I am a journalist writing about Vancouver's high gas prices for Maclean's Magazine. Wondering if you would be willing to talk about ecomodder and your recent post.

LeanBurn 05-09-2019 06:51 PM

...next door here in Alberta we are at $1.14/L in Calgary. :D

cuda47 05-10-2019 03:26 AM

Hi there,
just to compare:
$1.79 in France :o

MetroMPG 05-10-2019 07:51 AM

Hi there, Adrienne. I sent you an e-mail. I'd be happy to talk with you.

Darin
(EcoModder co-founder)

MetroMPG 05-10-2019 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by War_Wagon (Post 597480)
now that fuel here is $1.78 a liter, and likely to go over $2 a liter, I need to dust off my stash of old nerdy Hondas.

Sadly, little economy cars are at the wrong end of the scale for generating interest in your neck of the woods:

'Bags of money' being used to buy luxury cars in B.C., according to new money laundering report

Money launderers aren't interested in saving fuel, so maybe you just need to charge more for your efficient cars!

On a serious note, I really do wonder how much of an impact Van's high prices are having on people's driving habits & vehicle choices. Everything I've read suggests people adapt to steadily increasing fuel costs and adjust their budget. Big behavioral changes only happen in response to shocks. Does the latest price spike equal a shock? (Given the media interest, maybe that's a sign it does.)

Canadians pay much more for fuel than Americans, yet our vehicle choices are less efficient overall, measured by distance driven:

Quote:

A recent report by the International Energy Agency shows that Canada’s vehicles have the highest average fuel consumption and carbon dioxide emissions per kilometre driven. They are also the largest and the second heaviest in the world.
When it comes to vehicles, Canada tops the charts for poor fuel economy

MetroMPG 05-10-2019 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Charlie (Post 597491)
I put over $50 into my wife's minivan the other day. Looks like we're going to be getting more traffic here soon.

Sadly, it doesn't appear to be the case. Traffic has been trending down for years, and recent months/weeks show no change in the pattern.

Just the hardcore efficiency nerds hanging around here now (and some nerds returning - hi, War_Wagon!).

It's been ages since we had someone new sign up to say, "Help - I commute 90 miles a day in my pickup truck and need to save money! What can I do??"

On the other hand, if the mainstream media start running "Gas is so expensive!" stories, it may drive interest. We'll see...

orange4boy 05-10-2019 06:07 PM

Another nerd signing in. It's like a high school reunion up in here. Where's the punch? Good to be here again. How's you all been?

I still have my whole fleet plus some new additions. The Insight is still going like the great gutless wonder it is, but I drive so little, ecomodding is not a big priority. I still dream about making a riveted aluminum boat tail for it though and I have a set of salt flat discs sitting in my shop collecting dust that I never got around to installing. Oh, the shame!

My newest fleet member is a 108 Stinson that I'm rebuilding. I am planning to ecomod that as there's a lot more low hanging fruit than the insight. Any interest in me posting that thread here. I feel like I might get more interest and constructive input here than on the Stinson forum. Not sure If I can justify the extra time to post here though.

Quote:

On a serious note, I really do wonder how much of an impact Van's high prices are having on people's driving habits & vehicle choices.
There are a few people with their hair on fire out here for sure but everyone got used to to $1.50 in the summer so I imagine they will get used to this too.

MetroMPG 05-10-2019 06:49 PM

Hey, orange4boy!

I think if $1.7x per litre is bringing longtime members like you and war_wagon out of the woodwork (but few new members) that speaks volumes.

orange4boy 05-10-2019 07:01 PM

I suppose so, even if I came back indirectly. I was just minding my own business being all smug abut how little difference it makes to my Insight. To many others, it's a big deal.

Is it mainly BC though? What are prices like in your neck of the woods?

Fat Charlie 05-10-2019 11:08 PM

I don't even count as a nerd here any more. Hell, I've been forced to drive my wife's minivan for a week and have been okay with it (but I miss having my iPod).

I had to unplug my UG in the fall of 17 when my injector died and I never put it back in. I stopped logging tanks then and never restarted. I got a new job last year that made me think (and cut my commute in half, does that help?) too much to hypermile as well as I used to, and running to get the kids (being closer, I'm designated) makes for more sprinting than cruising commutes.

Is there an mpg rehab I can check myself into for a while?

OTOH, I just had my front brakes replaced at 117k miles, a number I'm pretty happy with. They went metal to metal at 116 and it was a while till I could get it into the shop. I went with OE pads, they do pretty well. :) I'm happy with the brakes, but my beloved Avid Ascends were apparently discontinued and replaced with something called an Avid Ascend GT. If I'd known that was coming I'd have liked to buy a pair or two to have on hand.

MetroMPG 05-11-2019 08:35 AM

Quote:

Is there an mpg rehab I can check myself into for a while?

I know! I find myself happy with ever lower mpg in the winter. And now there's the new-to-me guzzler/summer toy.

I suspect there's a pretty common "ecomodder arc" of interest/effort/excitement over time. I still clearly remember how excited I was with the numbers I was able to get after installing my first kill-switch.

Fat Charlie 05-11-2019 12:26 PM

It's like I'm playing defense. I'm not going for big numbers, just looking at what I have to do and trying to minimize the losses.

litesong 05-12-2019 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vman455 (Post 597495)
.....According to AAA, right now we're at $2.89/gal average, but that's skewed by refinery maintenance on the West coast, where prices are higher than the rest of the country.

I'd say the gas prices in the rest of the country, skew prices lower, because our West coast prices are so high........ & it ain't just refinery maintenance. With near-by gas prices near $3.50, got to go some to find a gallon of gasoline anywhere near $3 & small change.
Anyhow, with "summer" gas giving higher MPG, it was nice that our Hyundai Elantra, bad-mouthed & sued by leadfooters who couldn't get 30MPG, gave 39MPG, while passing over two 4000+ foot mountain passes, a 2500 foot pass & a 1500 foot ridge. AND while returning another way, a stop for $3.03/gal. gasoline, turned 45MPG while passing over a 3000 foot mountain pass.

Vman455 05-13-2019 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by litesong (Post 597958)
I'd say the gas prices in the rest of the country, skew prices lower, because our West coast prices are so high........ & it ain't just refinery maintenance.

If you look at the Gasbuddy heat map, most of the country is below $3/gallon--so you're skewing it higher.:p

Yeah, the West Coast always has higher gas prices. Used to be more limited to California, but now all the way up. My parents are always surprised how cheap gas is when they come to the Midwest.

Hersbird 05-13-2019 01:20 PM

The stations should be able to advertise a price that doesn't include taxes. Then you can see why in those areas you are paying so much for your gas. Does the advertised price for the car include taxes? Does the advertised price on the hotel include taxes? Does the advertised price on the plane ticket include taxes? Make your government accountable for what they do, and don't let them hide their effects.

roosterk0031 05-13-2019 01:28 PM

WA has the 3rd highest gas tax in the country at 49.4 state only, beat by California at 55.5 and PA at 58.7. The medium tax rate is 30, lowest 14.7. Fed tax is 18.4/gallon.

A search say Canadians pay an average of $0.45/liter, that would be $1.70/gallon. Found Vancouver, $0.51/liter

Hersbird 05-13-2019 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roosterk0031 (Post 598005)
WA has the 3rd highest gas tax in the country at 49.4 state only, beat by California at 55.5 and PA at 58.7. The medium tax rate is 30, lowest 14.7. Fed tax is 18.4/gallon.

A search say Canadians pay an average of $0.45/liter, that would be $1.70/gallon. Found Vancouver, $0.51/liter

Spokane Wa is about $.30/gal more than Post Falls ID 10 miles away. We are l about $.10/gal less here in Montana. Tomorrow I leave Missoula bound for Seattle. I will fill up (38 gallons!) here, stop and fill up again in Post Falls. At some point in my Seattle visit I will need some more gas but I probably won't fill it. Then going to the Oregon coast but you have to avoid getting it in the big cities because they still are higher because I am apparently incapable of pumping my own gas if surrounded by high population density. OH well, can't worry about it, it's a vacation and gas will be the least of my costs even with a 2500 Suburban. At least it makes it so we only need one car. 18 mpg is like 36 in that case.

litesong 05-14-2019 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vman455 (Post 597961)
If you look at the Gasbuddy heat map, most of the country is below $3/gallon--so you're skewing it higher.....the West Coast always has higher gas prices.

Yeah, like I said........ national gas prices are skewed lower from our Western high gas prices by low-ball eastern prices. :D

When the Alaskan pipeline was transporting at it maximum, Western U.S. prices (maybe not CA) were fairly average for the nation. But, you're right. Its more expensive to get to point C from point A, in the west, cause we got Big Sky, Big Mountains, & Big Texas. Of course, Alaska is all by itself. Ten western states are larger than Michigan. Even smallish Washington state is larger than the east's combined eight smallest states.

litesong 05-14-2019 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hersbird (Post 598011)
......with a 2500 Suburban. At least it makes it so we only need one car. 18 mpg is like 36 in that case.

I see a lot of traveling Suburbans with one person. Our Hyundai Elantra, bad-mouthed for poor MPG by leadfooters, just got 45MPG, traveling from Eastern Washington to West Washington, over 3000+ foot Snoqualmie Pass.

Fat Charlie 05-14-2019 09:35 PM

As a retailer, I like to state a price that doesn't include any gotchas, even if I do get to point the finger at Uncle Sam. Fun political point, bad business.

And if if your roads aren't in good shape, your gas taxes are too low.

Hersbird 05-15-2019 01:18 PM

Well my plan was a bust. We were behind schedule and needed to be in Everett by 5:30 so it was minimal stops and 5 mph over the speed limit all the way which means 75-85mph. The only place I stopped for gas was Ellensburg and turn out prices there are a bit more than Everett ($3.50 vs $3.45). That speed also gave us a whopping 15.6 mpg although that's 2 mountain passes and the Gorge, fair headwind, and probably 2000 pounds of passengers and gear inside. Like I said, 15.6 in one car is like 2 cars each getting 31.2 and this rig only set me back $3800 and it was smooth and comfortable with these loads and speeds. Hopefully it will also tow our camper well which we haven't tried with it yet. Bottom line, safe and sound to Everett at 5:01 and as usual the 405 was ridiculous and I saved the $10 toll there. What happened to a break for carpools? We certainly had one going on but you need to pre register somewhere? That whole setup on 405 is ment to snarl traffic and bring in big money making 2 special lanes for the rich. Nice job progressive Seattle LOL!

litesong 05-17-2019 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hersbird (Post 598169)
.....stopped for gas was Ellensburg and turn out prices there are a bit more than Everett ($3.50 vs $3.45)......as usual the 405 was ridiculous and I saved the $10 toll there. What happened to a break for carpools?

Too bad you were rushed. A diversion to Wapato, WA would have gotten you gas for $3.03 per gal. I-90 Coeur d Laine, Idaho Costco had gas for $2.94 (with 4% rebate at end of the year). Billings, Montana Costco was /$2.76. Point of the Rocks in southern Wyoming was said to have gas for $2.24.
Washington state fell in love with the re-pubic-lick-un idea of sabotaging the commuter lane into a richman's lane. If you're rich, you can drive past all the poor people in the regular lanes. Max rate is $10 under the worst conditions & I-405 is often at its worst. The money doesn't even stay in the state, The company over-seeing the richman's lane is out-of-state, back east somewhere.

War_Wagon 05-28-2019 12:34 AM

Yikes sorry I missed a lot. It's really expensive to live here, who knew? haha I have been working a lot. I had a badass old BMW 540 with a manual, and I sold it. I loved that car. $260 to go see my parents. My ratty Honda Fit cost $80 for the same trip. The Fit is getting sold too. Time to bring one of the Insights out of mothballs. I drive a lot, and I am lucky enough to live where nobody wants high FE stuff. But gas prices are unpleasant that's for sure. :snail:

LeanBurn 05-29-2019 02:29 PM

Here's a link to the article by Adrienne Tanner which ran 7 hrs ago:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/tops...1xQ?li=AAqARMz

snip"

This has everything to do with the free market,” says Marcus Sabathil, a Maple-Ridge furniture maker who runs a van for his business.

Sabathil is an “ecomodder” a back-yard engineer who counters high fuel prices by modifying his vehicles to improve fuel efficiency. About nine years ago, when prices soared over $1 per litre, which seemed astronomical at the time, Sabathil bought a used hybridcar for trips that didn’t require much carrying capacity. He then eco-modified his van to improve fuel efficiency. He designed aerodynamic coverings called fairings for the vehicle, changed out the factory hubcaps for ones that were flat and blocked the grill as much as he could, depending on the weather. “There’s a lot you can do. I actually cut my fuel consumption almost in half.”

Recently, rising gas prices prompted Sabathil to go a step further. His wife commutes 45 km a day in a Prius hybrid and noticed her gas bills climbing from about $55 to $75 a week. So Sabathil modified her car, too, improving the mileage by 36 per cent. He recognizes his ecomodder hobby is unlikely to catch on with most people and says vehicle manufacturers should be forced to set lower consumption targets, or nothing will change. But the answer is certainly not another pipeline, he adds. “Gas prices will continue to rise regardless; we need to conserve.”

"snip

Hersbird 05-29-2019 11:59 PM

Everything to with the free market... then goes on to say the free market shouldn't build pipelines or build the cars customers want. So really nothing to do with the free market.

litesong 05-30-2019 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by litesong (Post 598109)
..Our Hyundai Elantra, bad-mouthed for poor MPG by leadfooters, just got 45MPG, traveling from Eastern Washington to West Washington, over 3000+ foot Snoqualmie Pass.

The post above was our automatic Elantra. Just today, a round-trip from Western Washington to Eastern WA & back, in our MANUAL TRANNY ELANTRA, crossing over 4000+foot Stevens Pass both ways, & burning 87 octane E10, showed 49MPG on the trip computer as we neared home. With our 87 octane gasoline cars, I've noted that true MPG with 87 octane E10 usually is 2 to 3 MPG less than the computer. But burning efficient 87 octane 100% gasoline (E0) the car computer is quite accurate.

MetroMPG 05-30-2019 10:50 AM

Quote:

Here's a link to the article by Adrienne Tanner which ran 7 hrs ago:

Thanks for the heads up! For some reason the story didn't pop up in my email alerts.

litesong 05-30-2019 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by litesong (Post 597958)
..... a stop for....gasoline, (then) turned 45MPG while passing over a 3000 foot mountain pass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by litesong (Post 599138)
The post above was our automatic Elantra. Just today, a round-trip from Western Washington to Eastern WA & back, in our MANUAL TRANNY ELANTRA, crossing over 4000+foot Stevens Pass both ways, .....showed 49MPG on the trip computer as we neared home.

Not only was the MPG higher with the manual, while climbing MORE mountain slopes, our 6 speed manual Elantra, from the factory, has ~ 6% lower gearing than the automatic (in 6th gear), which gives better acceleration & holds a gear better than the automatic, in the mountains. It really feels like the manual Elantra has more power than the 6speed automatic. Are automatic transmission losses great enough to give a seat-of-the-pants feel, as compared to a manual transmission? The automatic Elantra likes to be in 4th while ascending to 4000+ foot Stevens Pass. The manual was equally happy (or a bit more?) to be in 5th gear ascending to Stevens Pass, even with an extra person. I have to test both transmissions to see what rpms (at a given speed) the automatic has in 4th gear, as compared to the rpms (at the same given speed) the manual gives in 5th gear (Yes, I'll do that!!).

Tahoe_Hybrid 06-01-2019 03:40 AM

another issue of high prices is the gas stations making a killer profit here in California they stayed at 4.29 premium fuel over despite even in LA it was less then my area by about 20 cents(same brand) EVEN cheaper if you got the car wash at 3.89(remium fuel)

litesong 06-23-2019 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tahoe_Hybrid (Post 599274)
another issue of high prices is the gas stations making......

Tho gas has been dropping for a while in the U.S., the eastern Salish Sea(Puget Sound) shows itself to be separate from the rest of country, by holding on to high prices($3.30-$3.50). A few places dropped to $3, with one spot dropping to $2.75. One town had a gasoline war (it was so short, it was really only a skirmish), & prices dropped to $2.55 $ 2.48(even under Idaho prices). But sanity returned to the oil station markets & oil is back up. But I managed to get 34 gallons before the bounce back up. Yeah, yeah, yeah....I know gas in Texas is below $2.

litesong 07-24-2019 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Charlie (Post 597491)
I put over $50 into my wife's minivan the other day.

So many people feel trapped by their local gas prices. This whole thing of "local gas prices" is the oil industry's method of extorting more money than is reasonable from....the "local yokels". Our local gas prices are hanging high, despite a drop in gas prices, nationally. Our local gas prices show I can get 19 gallons for two of our cars for $64. Finally, I said "No, that isn't fair". So I travel.....& get 19 gallons for $52 or $48.

Fat Charlie 07-24-2019 09:30 PM

I have choices, 2 in my town and a few 20 miles away. I buy it when the tank needs it and it fits my schedule. I'm not going to burn gas to save money on gas.

litesong 07-25-2019 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Charlie (Post 602818)
.....I'm not going to burn gas to save money on gas.

I love to drive through my beautiful Washington state. Don't you have a beautiful place to drive? I make sure that I get cheaper gas, somewhere on my journeys, before returning to my unfortunately high-priced region.

Fat Charlie 07-28-2019 01:49 PM

That's burning gas for enjoyment, and picking up cheaper gas in the process. That's totally cool.

I just don't have time or much pleasure driving, and when I can shift my commuting to more pleasant roads it's for the sanity instead of the gas prices.

litesong 07-28-2019 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Charlie (Post 603200)
I just don't have time (f?)or much pleasure driving.....

Yes, I highly recommend retirement..... early & before your future plans. First plan is NOT to get killed on your job or other places. I highly recommend NOT getting killed. Best plan is to work at what you enjoy...... hoping that what you enjoy, includes much pleasure driving. Professional landscape photographers would fit in that plan.