Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2009, 10:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Fruit Bat - '01 Honda Insight
Last 3: 54.26 mpg (US)

Current - '21 Subaru Impreza Wagon
90 day: 34.36 mpg (US)
Found 0w20 oil for sale

I remember Darin mentioning something about how difficult it was to find 0w20 oil (at least in Canada), but after reading that I noticed the same - I couldn't find any 0w20 in auto parts stores here in upstate NY. Well, today I noticed some. Mobil seems to be pushing a FE oil campaign with 0W synthetics. Seems like good news to me.

https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English...l_1_0W-20.aspx

I got some 5w20 of a <ahemm> different brand, but I'm still transitioning my engine to introduce it slowly to synthetic oil.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-30-2009, 11:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
I noticed that Mobil campaign. It's a tad misleading: its only in the fine print that you see the estimated savings are based on switching from a thicker oil in the first place.

Nothing magical about their product. Switching from a heavier to a lighter oil will save energy regardless of brand, or synth vs. non-synth!

Glad to see you found the lighter synthetic you were looking for. I bought extra when I found it. Have enough stockpiled to last a few years!
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 11-30-2009, 11:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Unfortunately capitalism is based on misinformation/misleading claims/unequal and slanted education.

There are always oil change deals where you get an oil filter with 5 quarts of oil for a pretty reasonable price. They've caught on with how much people like these deals by throwing in any sweetener they can think of (fuel additivies, oil pans, puppies, etc.) including an "upgraded" oil filter. I was asked if I wanted to get the upgraded, fancier oil filter with the ability to filter out impurities with a smaller micron filter for just two more clams. Nah. I'm pretty sure it's just an oil filter, and I don't think my engine has mold spore allergies.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who fall for BS like that though - 'tis a shame.

I would go with 0W20 conventional if I could find it, but this is the first 0W20 I've ever seen (and it just happens to be synth), and I was surprised even more when it was touted as economy because of the green washing shrug I always encounter: "Eh, at least stuff like this is more available to me, but its unfortunate that people think buying things with 'green', 'efficient', "economy" or my personal favorite 'environmentally compatible' will be a magic bullet. when doing so doesn't really help educate them on what really needs to happen, and is more akin to applying a band-aid to a decapitation patient." I was more expecting to see an old stained box in the clearance section.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderboy View Post

I got some 5w20 of a <ahemm> different brand, but I'm still transitioning my engine to introduce it slowly to synthetic oil.
Ummmm... you figure if you sneak up on it, it won't notice? Or maybe the bring to boil slowly/frog theory?

Old 11-30-2009, 03:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

No, I know it will notice, I just didn't want to start throwing synth in there right away because the oil was nasty and black when I got the car. I went a few changes more frequently than usual with the prescribed weight conventional oil (5w30), and after a little over a year of doing that, the oil seems to be coming out a bit cleaner after oil changes. It still doesn't look as nice as I'd like, but I know I've got some blowby too, so the oil is a little dark and smells a bit of fuel. After one more change of conventional, I plan to go synthetic 5W a change or two, see what it looks like, then full synth. I don't feel like wasting the money on synthetic if my engine is just going to gunk it up really quickly. Has anyone here had any experiences to share with switching to synth from conventional? I know all the old claims are pretty much moot now, but I'm less worried about "loosening old gunk" than wasting money on an engine that has a little bit of blowby and burns about a quart per 1500 miles. Anything to be aware of when using 0W20, be it synthetic or not?
Old 11-30-2009, 05:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderboy View Post
Anything to be aware of when using 0W20, be it synthetic or not?
Only that it's full of awesomeosity, and it's thinner than what you're used to. So if you leak or burn oil, you'll leak or burn a little more than usual.

Advance Auto and Wally-World seem to be reliable sources of 0W20.

One advantage of synthetic is that you can go longer between oil changes. M1 Extended Performance oil advertizes that it's suitable for use with a 15000 mi oil change interval. But you may want a better filter if you're going that long between changes. They claim to have "more" dirt-holding capacity, whatever that means.

Reply  Post New Thread