EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Red Jelly Bean Aero Mods. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/red-jelly-bean-aero-mods-4847.html)

minic6 08-30-2008 03:01 PM

Red Jelly Bean Aero Mods.

5 Attachment(s)
I was asked to share some of the pics. and update info on my 94 Geo Metro.
I bought this car with only 2200 miles in 95. I now have 120,000+. It has been a great car for commuting. Fuel economy has increased from 40mpg (mouse nest in air cleaner). To about 44 to 48 driving as a non hypermiler. My 90 day average now is 62 mpg. 8/30/08

Before we start Yes a lot of the mods. added weight, but with 20 miles of my commute at a constant 55 and the last 10 rural it doesn't effect it that much. Once you are up to speed weight is not that big of a factor. Plus it isn't that much. Car will be weighed when completed. I hope to keep it about the same as a stock metro. I work for GM Powertrain in the V8 car division. I prefer to work on Vettes. Lots of my ideas came from MPG dream cars.

Modifications

Mobil 1 syn. 40 psi in tires. Kill switch currently tied into coil. Back seat removed along with seat belts. Highway speed held to 55 coasting and killing the ign. when possible. With my commute coasting is 6 of my 60 mile round trip. 14" tires and wheels, should now have 3.51 final drive, instead of 4.10. Installed along with 96 frt struts complete with vented rotors. These also provided 12 mm studs, drilled existing rear drums for 12mm studs. Lowered car by cutting coils.All tail light bulbs updated to led. Not so much for fuel savings but visibility for safety. Bonneville style hupcaps. Lowered springs by cutting. Installed vacuum gauge. Not as useful as hoped for, with 3 cyl. your into the power band most of the time. Not recommended, just use a normal light foot. Cool if you like the science look. Bumped up timing 3 degrees, no knocks.

Began aero updates right side July 07 Stopped August 23rd due to a problem with my leg. It cost me the rest of the warm weather.

First 2 pictures shows stock body work.

I chose to close the gap between the tires and wheel well. This was a learning curve as over the year since the spring cut, the car settled. Glad I had not finished painting it! After a retrim the tire can still contact if a corner is cut to sharp, but it is liveable as is. Note the use of duct tape, BAD idea it reacts with the fiberglass. Use blue painters tape instead.

The 4th pic. shows how the rocker was boxed after the rust was repaired . This gave me a platform to build my aero aids. One note 5th pic, if you use pink foam, coat it with a layer of bondo first as the fiberglass attacks it if you don't.
When the drivers side is started another idea may be tried.

minic6 08-30-2008 03:16 PM

Additional pics

4 Attachment(s)
Pic. 7 shows how the front end went through the winter after being glassed. It also had the lawn edging added too. It made a great snowplow on some days. Back of the fender shows a gap, this is just for looks and ease of blending into the door.

Front picture show the begining of the hood mods. Cut off rusted lip of the hood similar to a Swift and made my own front end out of glass. Glassed pic. shows how it looked during the winter. Nothing helps in MI. in the winter. Mileage dropped to a low of 50 mpg.

minic6 08-30-2008 03:32 PM

Hood aero aid

5 Attachment(s)
I was given two Metros, both rust buckets! I used the hood from the blue car for the donor hood. Cutting it 9 1/2" to clean up the air flow for the wipers. In Mich. wipers are a good idea to have! Picture of the primer shows the alingnment holes, plus the drain holes for the inevitable water build up.

People in the know might have noticed the stock pics, are not of my car. It is the 2nd donor car. Engine to be used in another project. A arm was rusted off the car. 3 ratchet straps placed from the a arm to opposite corners and one lifting the a arm off the ground. Allowed me to drive it 3 blocks to my house, sweating all the way and not exceding 10mph! (yes I'm nuts!) but thanks anyway. This trick would work well in getting a car up on a trailer. As it says on tv don't try this at home!

Last two pics. show the angle, and the start of the bondo work (FUN?? NOT!)

Some of my ideas may add nothing to MPG, but the over all look is also important to me. Rust had just about destroyed the car soooo.... it might as well look good to me!

It has been said by those in the know that 80% of mpg is in your driving ability, not MODIFICATIONS, that being said, they are the most FUN!!

minic6 08-30-2008 03:43 PM

Kammback

1 Attachment(s)
This is in the proof mode. jwxr7 swears by his, so we will see, getting close to a fill up. Tank was filled right after this was done. Luan paneling was used, corners were fiberglassed and then all the wood was coated with the mixed glass. If it helps it will be blended in. 2nd donor car has a good hatch to go back stock or lengthen the kammback.

aerohead 08-30-2008 03:51 PM

Drag-slayer Metro

I think the atmosphere is going to reward you for all your work at the gas pump.I like it all! Be careful with the completely-blocked nose.Don't want to fry that 3-cyl Wunder- Motor!

bbjsw10 08-30-2008 04:08 PM

I like the front fenders I may steal that idea down the road, as well as boxing the rockers mine are shot.

minic6 08-30-2008 04:18 PM

I have driven it in near 100 degree weather no problems. Air is directed right to the radiator, which is on the left side of the car.

As to boxing in the rockers, make sure and add strucure back in. They are made up of three layers. The blue donor car almost broke in half when the roof was cut off. My car had all three layers welded back in before boxing them in.

Or maybe you could weld in boxed steel say 2x4"

bbjsw10 08-30-2008 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minic6 (Post 57518)

Or maybe you could weld in boxed steel say 2x4"

Kinda what I was thinking and tie into my front and rear suspension mounts with it, Just in case. Then maybe an "X" under the car connecting the two "rockers" would really strengthen it up and allow something to hook my belly pan to.

Johnny Mullet 08-30-2008 10:38 PM

Nice looking mods on that Metro. Glad you could share.

dentprone 08-30-2008 11:10 PM

Thanks for posting the pics, Minic... I really dig the fenders and wiper cowl:thumbup:. Please keep us posted on your continued mods and results.