Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 07:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Lump - '94 VW LT28 Doka
Vw lt28

I thought I already posted an intro but I can't find it so here we go. I brought over an LT28 from germany in 2009. It currently has a 2.4L straight 6 diesel. The same one used in lots of 80s Volvo cars. Currently I get an average of 10L/100km (24gpm) on the 1 tonne truck. From my British friends, this seems about average.

The plan is to put in a M-TDi from a 03 Beetle (I want the truck to keep running if the electrics go out for any reason, plus it is just simpler). We are slooooly rebuilding the engine and adding a quattro tranny so I can match the trucks rear drive. I would rather drive the front wheels but the mods would be way too extensive for now. We made some changes to the tranny so the front take offs will be engaged only when in neutral and I plan to have electric motors to drive the rear wheels. I haven't figured out the throttle yet tho...

The ultimate goal is 2000km from a 70L tank but I have no idea if I can achieve this.

Mike

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg small.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	12111  
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Welcome to ecomodder !

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaLT View Post
The ultimate goal is 2000km from a 70L tank but I have no idea if I can achieve this.
3,5 L/100km is ambitious to say the least !
Even with (partial) electric drive - though obviously with more batteries you could lower the diesel consumption.

With 2 power sources, you're always carrying one too many - and the associated weight of the system, here combined with the added drag of the quattro drive.

Still : good luck with the project !

Old 12-27-2012, 06:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
That sounds like an interesting project.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Lump - '94 VW LT28 Doka
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Welcome to ecomodder !

3,5 L/100km is ambitious to say the least !
Even with (partial) electric drive - though obviously with more batteries you could lower the diesel consumption.

With 2 power sources, you're always carrying one too many - and the associated weight of the system, here combined with the added drag of the quattro drive.

Still : good luck with the project !
I did a test with this truck which was to drive 200km with nothing in the truck other than me and my girlfriend, then I filled the tank again and drove another 200Km with 300kg in the back. Same road, same type of hills, same wind direction (as much as possible) and had the same fuel economy. It would seem that the outdoor temp has more to do with the economy as the weight so I think that the weight of batteries and motors won't be a major factor. The drag from the tranny may be a different story but we will have to see.....stay tuned.

Reply  Post New Thread