EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Remember those high gas prices and what resulted? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/remember-those-high-gas-prices-what-resulted-5946.html)

Chris D. 11-11-2008 02:54 AM

Remember those high gas prices and what resulted?

Remember how all the food prices were raised due to the cost of diesel fuel?

Well, the prices have dropped drastically, yet all the food prices have remained the same..

Whats the deal with that? :confused:

Doofus McFancypants 11-11-2008 06:47 AM

remember all those Airline Fuel Surcharges? + $300 for trip to europe?
Oil is near $60 / barrel - but the surcharges are still there.

bikin' Ed 11-11-2008 09:06 AM

You guys may be too young to realize this, but those prices are probably never going to come back down. :( Margins on necessities--ie food--won't be dropped unless it just can't be unloaded. In the case of food that is doubtful. Airlines have been in financial trouble for a long time. They'll probablly keep prices up until they've recoverd fully. Only then will the supply/demand principles kick back in.

i_am_socket 11-11-2008 09:22 AM

Quote:

They'll probably keep prices up until they've recovered fully.
So in 50 years when they figure out how to turn a profit? ;)

Sean T. 11-11-2008 10:08 AM

I would rather pay more for food and less for gas. I can cut back on food and lose weight, but I'm already cutting back on gas... and spending a lot more on gas than food.

roflwaffle 11-11-2008 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris D. (Post 71857)
Remember how all the food prices were raised due to the cost of diesel fuel?

Well, the prices have dropped drastically, yet all the food prices have remained the same..

Whats the deal with that? :confused:

It wasn't diesel for the most part, at least AFAIK. It was the Bush administration's ethanol subsidies/mandates along w/ local subsidies/mandates. By linking fuel to food, we increase the costs of food when fuel rises. Since they're linked, the price of oil rising drives the price of corn up, which results in substitution, and creates upward pressure on the prices of other foods. Not to say that the jump in diesel costs didn't contribute, just that it isn't responsible for most of the costs. So far we're at ~373 w/ corn, so it hasn't come down that much, and until it does I don't expect food prices to drop drastically either.

Chris D. 11-12-2008 02:26 AM

E85 is such garbage.. 15% less fuel economy and you pay quite a bit more for a flex fuel vehicle.. It's a loose loose situation, all I can do is shake my head when I see a flex fuel suburbon..

getnpsi 03-10-2009 04:17 PM

E-85 is a better idea than special gas California gets. We have local refineries, local pipelines and local shipyards and still pay 30 cents more a gallon than people living on the top of mountains, or hundreds of miles away from any hub of convinence.

getnpsi 03-10-2009 04:21 PM

It's funny you bring up the fact that e-85 nets 15% less mileage. How is it that people who use E-10 suffer a 20 percent drop? LOL Just rattling cages. I'm not an e-85 supporter by any means. Im a supporter of larger changes that need to be now rather than 2020 projections.

shovel 03-10-2009 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris D. (Post 72041)
It's a loose loose situation, all I can do is shake my head when I see a flex fuel suburbon..

Your spelling error gives me an idea! They should call the ethanol-compatible Suburban the Subourbon

:confused: ok fine, bad idea.

but E85 rocks, anyway. :thumbup: because it's a bridge, RIGHT NOW, away from fossil fuels. it's not the best plan, but it's a plan that works right now, while nobody else can seem to get their act together on a way off fossil fuels.

Chris D. 03-10-2009 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shovel (Post 91950)
but E85 rocks, anyway. :thumbup: because it's a bridge, RIGHT NOW, away from fossil fuels. it's not the best plan, but it's a plan that works right now, while nobody else can seem to get their act together on a way off fossil fuels.

E85 is just going the route of the betamax.. Thats just how it is..