EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   replace an automatic transmission with a CVT? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/replace-automatic-transmission-cvt-6862.html)

UncleWalt 01-23-2009 03:52 AM

replace an automatic transmission with a CVT?

I have searched all over the internet for any information on this.

I have a 2002 Buick Century and I love the car, great mileage with no mods, yet. The transmission is beginning to give me problems after 70,000 miles and I am wondering, since I will probably need to work on it anyway, if it is possible to replace my 4 speed automatic transmission with a continuously variable transmission.

I can't see any reason this could not be done, granted it might be a lot of work, and if I need to fix the car anyway I would like to eek out any possible efficiency I can.

There also doesn't seem to be any downside to a CVT either, but, then again, I don't know much about this stuff.

The plusses seem the be better efficiency and fewer moving parts. CVTs just seem like the better of the two designs.

I'd really like to do this, can anyone tell me why it could or could not be done?

thanks

The Atomic Ass 01-23-2009 07:20 AM

CVT's actually have a lot more drag than conventional manuals or autos. They make up for it by keeping the engine in such a tight range during acceleration. They suck in the winter due to the effect of temperature on the belt. Makes the engine rev way too high just to get moving.

But it can be done. Your main problem is going to be FINDING a transmission. There aren't very many of them made. And none will probably be a direct swap.

malibuguy 01-23-2009 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Atomic Ass (Post 84645)
CVT's actually have a lot more drag than conventional manuals or autos. They make up for it by keeping the engine in such a tight range during acceleration. They suck in the winter due to the effect of temperature on the belt. Makes the engine rev way too high just to get moving.

But it can be done. Your main problem is going to be FINDING a transmission. There aren't very many of them made. And none will probably be a direct swap.

yep, the Caliber until it warmed up, in the winter months, it sang much more RPM then needed for the first 3-5miles, highly annoying, i stopped logging the mileage on here, but still kept track, went from a best of 34mpg with the a/c on in the summer, to 28 in the winter...blach...& that was before it got really cold, cuz then i fixed my Tercel & have been driving it

but the CVT is neat & pretty effecient way of accelerating after it gets up in the power band, but it sucks right off the line, 2.7X 60-foot times, twas pathetic, but i did get 16.9s out of it @ 83mph with a 15mph headwind, not bad for pretty much stock, 2.0L 158HP & 3300lbs +/- with me in it :thumbup:

PaleMelanesian 01-23-2009 10:09 AM

I wouldn't do it. That GM transmission is one of the best in the business for mileage. It keeps the engine in a good low rpm range with little fuss. It unlocks and freewheels when you let off the gas, so you don't really need to shift into neutral for coasting. Your best bet would be to repair / replace with the same.

UncleWalt 01-23-2009 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian (Post 84665)
I wouldn't do it. That GM transmission is one of the best in the business for mileage. It keeps the engine in a good low rpm range with little fuss. It unlocks and freewheels when you let off the gas, so you don't really need to shift into neutral for coasting. Your best bet would be to repair / replace with the same.

This is really great to hear. I keep hearing good things about this car. Now I guess I just have to get it fixed.

Frank Lee 01-23-2009 01:51 PM

^What Pale said. And, to really realize the benefits of CVT I'd imagine the engine would need to be re-cammed and re-programmed to operate more efficiently in a small rpm range.

aerohead 01-24-2009 04:02 PM

Cvt

I'm going to chime in with the "don't do it camp." I waited with high expectations with the Subaru Justy and it's CVT.The car was a complete disappointment,delivering only mediocre mpg performance,with much less "performance" than conventionally-geared cars of it's class.