EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   Replacing the air conditioning expansion valve in an HX. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/replacing-air-conditioning-expansion-valve-hx-30020.html)

Xist 09-18-2014 06:27 PM

Replacing the air conditioning expansion valve in an HX.

I had a mechanic at U Fix It Automotive - Do It Yourself, and Do It Right! tell me that my AC was cycling because it was low. He replaced a valve and topped me off, but when it still cycled, he said that my expansion valve is bad, which is a 3-4 hour repair, and would cost $5-600 dollars.

It is great to actually be able to talk to a mechanic, I have had frustrations with free advice from auto parts stores, but I took my car to U-Fix It to fix it myself, which is especially important until I start working!

They said that would need to be replaced as part of a kit. What else needs to be replaced? My repair manual intentionally omits AC service. The service manual seems to skip the expansion valve. I am not finding very clear instructions anywhere for my car. So far, the best that I can find is a YouTube video for a Camry!

U-Fix it will evacuate the system and then recharge it afterward.

Can any of you please give me guidance here?

This is a condensed version of http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post444777.

2000mc 09-18-2014 06:37 PM

They said that would need to be replaced as part of a kit. What else needs to be replaced?
Why not just ask them?
Aside from the seals on either side of the valve, I don't know what else would be replaced every time

Xist 09-19-2014 05:56 PM

I took my car to a mechanic today, specifically chosen because it is two blocks from my house. The guy just called and said that I need to replace my AC compressor, receiver-dryer, and expansion valve. He estimated $1,400 and the diagnosis was $59 plus tax. He did not blame my grill block, but said that I should remove it anyway. The place that topped off the AC the first time, but did not notice that my valve was bad, gives an estimate of $884.24 through AutoMD.com, but that rounds to the nearest tenth of an hour, underestimates their labor rate by $5, and does not include taxes.

I figure that it would be $1,071.24 before taxes.

I called U Fix It Automotive - Do It Yourself, and Do It Right! and the mechanic said he could not give me an estimate, but their hourly rate is $5 less than the other place.

Of course, I could do it myself eventually. The parts are supposed to be $476.24.

2000mc, I called the mechanic and he said that the kit would include the compressor, receiver\dryer, and expansion valve.

Xist 09-21-2014 10:52 PM

I mentioned this to a friend and she responded "Forget that! I would use that money as a down payment for a good Chrysler!"

Ecky 09-25-2014 11:58 AM

I replaced the expansion valve in my Del Sol about 2 years ago. The system was already discharged, but if not, you'll need to have it vacuumed. After that, unbolt and replace the dryer in addition to the valve. Minimize the time it's exposed to atmosphere. Once the new parts are on, take it to an A/C shop and have it vacuumed and filled.

I replaced a leaking line while I was at it, and the A/C continued to hold pressure and blow cold for the 2 more years I kept the car.

Xist 09-25-2014 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ecky (Post 447266)
I replaced the expansion valve in my Del Sol about 2 years ago. The system was already discharged, but if not, you'll need to have it vacuumed. After that, unbolt and replace the dryer in addition to the valve. Minimize the time it's exposed to atmosphere. Once the new parts are on, take it to an A/C shop and have it vacuumed and filled.

I replaced a leaking line while I was at it, and the A/C continued to hold pressure and blow cold for the 2 more years I kept the car.

How long did that take you? The mechanic estimated 6.5 hours for the expansion valve, receiver\dryer, and AC compressor, and said that was how long it would take me.

No, I am not a mechanic.

Also, where can one find a good and reliable Chrysler? :)

Ecky 09-25-2014 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 447337)
How long did that take you? The mechanic estimated 6.5 hours for the expansion valve, receiver\dryer, and AC compressor, and said that was how long it would take me.

No, I am not a mechanic.

Also, where can one find a good and reliable Chrysler? :)

I'm scratching my head about where to find a reliable Chrysler, but as far as fixing your A/C is concerned, it took about 15 minutes to swap out the valve and dryer. I was told that breaching my system as I did would require that I replace the evaporator and compressor as the moisture in the air would immediately ruin them, but that turned out not to be the case. If you wish to swap the compressor as well while it's apart, I can't imagine it adding more than another 15-30 minutes, as it's basically a bolt-on part. Vacuuming at a shop will probably add 30 minutes to both ends of the job, but that's not work you're doing.