EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Reprogramming cruise control. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/reprogramming-cruise-control-5197.html)

TKWPrime 09-22-2008 10:06 AM

Reprogramming cruise control.

Stock factory cruise control is set up to maintain constant speed. Obviously this is not best for economy.

While pulse and glide has its definite advantages, a long drive in a truck pulling a trailer is mentally and physically exhausting to P&G.

Next to P&G, constant throttle position seems to be the best option for trucking. I've been thinking of ways to set the throttle. A simple solution would be a manual cable that could be adjusted to hold the throttle at a constant position. The problem with simple is that it is also dumb. If I need to hit the brakes or suddenly give extra throttle or do extra throttle but then want the throttle back to the preset, a manual cable adjustment doesn't cut it.

If the cruise control could be reprogrammed to maintain constant throttle position instead while leaving the other features more or less unchanged? That would give push button step-up or step-down of throttle position, allow manual pedal control for those times when it is needed, trip the cruise off on brake light on conditions, etc.

Anybody tried this? And if you have, how do you go about reprogramming the cruise control? I tried talking this over with my local Toyota service mechanic and he just stared at me like I was from Mars.

dcb 09-22-2008 10:12 AM

Mars, LOL. I've thought about integrating it with a MPGuino. Basically it would be a mpg control (DWL). One would have to give control of the throttle to our little hobby computer :D

It *could* seek for the best mpg for you though.

Vince-HX 09-22-2008 10:19 AM

I installed an electronic throttle lock a few weeks ago and its been great. It holds the throttle position where you set it and allows you to speed up with the pedal and go back to the preset, also disengages when you hit the brakes. Cost about $80 shipped

I would love to see something integrated with the MPGuino:thumbup:

Gregte 09-22-2008 11:18 AM

What is wrong with a simple dashboard mounted cable that pulls at the same point the standard accelerator pedal pulls. It could attach to the throttle body plate or carb butterfly with a strong magnet. That magnet would stick to an electromagnet that is normally always OFF. When you tap the brakes the brakelight switch will send current to the electromagnet causing it to repel the permanent magnet thus disengaging the dash mount cable from the throttle body butterfly. To reattach that cable you would push it in until its magnet grabs the OFF electromagnet then again pull it out to your desired preset.

basslover911 09-22-2008 11:18 AM

i have thought about cutting or placing a switch in between the crusise control and the speed sensor input that way it does not get a speed value and just holds the throttle. The problem has been trying to find what that wire is...

TKWPrime 09-22-2008 11:35 AM

Thanks to all.

Thanks to all for your responses. I've also been reading the related threads on this topic.

So far, the electronic throttle lock is close to what I'm looking for but I really want something integrated with the OEM cruise control if possible.

I've rejected the mechanical linkage/cable ideas (with and without magnets) due to safety issues. Quite simply, if you have a serious malfunction in a small car, the only person who could likely be seriously injured is yourself. When you are driving a truck and trailer with a combined weight over 15,000 pounds, the opportunity for vehicular mayhem escalates alarmingly.

I looked into various ideas for interrupting or modifying speed sensing for the cruise control but since this data is used by the ECM for other functions, it screws up more than it fixes.

I am really hoping for a solution in software, aftermarket reprogramming of the ECM/cruise control, rather than hardware.

saunders1313 09-22-2008 04:33 PM

Vince-HX where did you find this product and how hard was it to install? It sounds like a good idea that you are looking for here and I would be interested if anyone has a solution, but I'll take what I can get, if the best I can get is an electronic throttle lock I'll take it.

TestDrive 09-22-2008 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKWPrime (Post 62587)
The problem with simple is that it is also dumb. If I need to hit the brakes or suddenly give extra throttle or do extra throttle but then want the throttle back to the preset, a manual cable adjustment doesn't cut it.

It really comes down to the first case. A Manual Throttle Stop Cable works fine in the later two cases.
Here is ASCII art representing a manual throttle cable installation in three different states of operation.
Quote:

1 ....[|================#==-------!-c--
2 [----|================#==----!c--
3 [----|================#==--!--c--

CHARACTER KEY
. keeps things aligned - 'cause BB software eats multiple blanks
[ handle of the throttle cable.
| the dash board
= spiral housing of the throttle cable
# a clamp
- solid wire at the core of the throttle cable
! throttle linkage that the throttle cable wire passes through.
c stop to actuate the throttle linkage.

1) Represents the cable not in use.
2) Represents the cable in use.
3) Represents the cable in use while the driver elects to use additional foot throttle. This case works because the throttle cable passes through the linkage but does not attach to the linkage.