EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Rerouting exhaust to a low pressure point (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/rerouting-exhaust-low-pressure-point-9001.html)

ConnClark 06-30-2009 01:23 PM

Rerouting exhaust to a low pressure point

I'm thinking of trying to reroute my exhaust to a low pressure point to reduce exhaust back pressure. If I route it to the back of the car in the slip stream it should also reduce drag slightly. As I see it I would get almost nothing but gains. Less back pressure, slightly more boost, and slightly less drag.

The only potential problem I see is diesel soot getting on the back of my car.

MazdaMatt 06-30-2009 01:37 PM

Before you start buying piping, i'd suggest that you figure out the psi difference between where you exhaust is now and the back of your car. I'm guessing it is minimal. I'd also figure out the cfm of air coming out your pipe and what affect that may have on the your drag. I'm guessing both are minimal and your net gain will be zapped by the extra 2 feet of pipe you're carrying around.

winkosmosis 06-30-2009 02:47 PM

Where is the exhaust now?

I wouldn't mess with the exhaust system. If you screw up an aeromod, the worst case is some holes in your body or scratched paint. If you mess up exhaust, the worst case is fumes in the cab, CO poisoning, brain damage, or death.

ConnClark 07-01-2009 12:16 PM

Right now my exhaust exits right below the bumper on the drivers side. I could get it to route just above the bumper with a slight bend just in front of the muffler and a 6 inch extension. The exit would be right in the slipstream then and hence in a slight vacuum.

I would have to cut the body work which makes me uneasy with this mod.

Edit: CO poisoning isn't a problem on diesels unless they are way out of tune. Fumes wouldn't getting into the passenger compartment wouldn't be a problem anyway

Frank Lee 07-01-2009 02:48 PM

Maybe a manometer test would reveal it's already in a low psi zone?

DonR 07-01-2009 03:48 PM

Couldn't you take it to a local muffler shop & have them make a clamp on extension to route it to where you want it? If you smell more exhaust than normal or you get more soot than you can stand, unclamp it.

ConnClark 07-02-2009 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 113192)
Maybe a manometer test would reveal it's already in a low psi zone?

I kind of doubt that. The slip stream always has a lower pressure than something in the air flow. Also recent trends in car design have moved the exhaust outlet from below the bumper to a notch in the bumper or as part of back of the car to leverage this vacuum. A Porsche boxster is an example of this

Frank Lee 07-02-2009 02:56 PM

"The slip stream always has a lower pressure than something in the air flow."

Where'd ya learn that?

instarx 07-02-2009 05:15 PM

An exhaust pipe in the airstream will have air travelling down the outside of the exhaust pipe and past the end of the pipe. This causes a low pressure area immediately beyond the end of the pipe due to the Bernoulli effect (turning a duct into an exhaust duct by blowing compressed air past it's open end is a common engineering trick when internal fans cannot be used, for example when exhausting explosive gases). Relocating the exhaust's end-point to a low pressure area behind the car would eliminate that particular pressure advantage. But which would be more effective... the Bernoulli drop or the low pressure area end-point? IMHO the difference in exhaust flow between the two would be so small as to be essentially immeasurable even with instrumentation.

A much more effective method to reduce exhaust back-pressure would be to install a larger diameter, straighter, or shorter exhaust pipe.

tasdrouille 07-02-2009 11:29 PM

I honestly don't think it'll make a difference. I'm planning to have mine exit in front of the driver side rear wheel, might not change a thing to FE, but I love the sound of a spooling turbo too much to have it exit out the back.

chipX 07-06-2009 09:45 AM

Sorry to bump up an older thread.
But ( cant remmember which team ) there was a motorcycle racing team that decided to install the exhaust under the seat - and it gave trememdous advantages.

Frank Lee 07-06-2009 02:33 PM

Sure, things are a bit different when you're going 180 mph and seeking tenth-of-a-second advantages.

BamZipPow 07-24-2009 02:12 AM

I bet that kinda heated up their rear end a little bit...kinda like putting the fire to their butt. ;)

aerohead 07-25-2009 01:56 PM

slipstream

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConnClark (Post 113157)
Right now my exhaust exits right below the bumper on the drivers side. I could get it to route just above the bumper with a slight bend just in front of the muffler and a 6 inch extension. The exit would be right in the slipstream then and hence in a slight vacuum.

I would have to cut the body work which makes me uneasy with this mod.

Edit: CO poisoning isn't a problem on diesels unless they are way out of tune. Fumes wouldn't getting into the passenger compartment wouldn't be a problem anyway

The base pressure behind the 300 will essentially be at the same pressure as where the air separates.If the side tailpipe is within 6-inches of the tail,there may be little Delta-P between the two locations.Also,the side flow is dilluting the exhaust stream through mixing,which wouldn't necessarily occur behind the car,making it nastier for following motorists.

mwebb 07-27-2009 12:53 AM

just placing the exhaust tip willy nilly somewhere may put it in an area of pressure or ...
so
it would not be too hard
to measure , just get a MAP or FuelTankPressuresensor sensor from somewhere (junk yard) get the connector too ...
three pins on the MAP or FuelTankPressure sensor.
power 5v , ground , signal .
,tap into the 5volt reference in the car OR make up a 5v power supply , use a dvom or labscope on the MAP or FuelTankPressure sensor sensor signal pin
and position a vacuum line from the MAP or FuelTankPressure sensor in the car
to the area you suspect has lower "pressure " , drive the car .

not moving signal voltage will be about 4.5 volts on a MAP sensor from GM or 3 volts on a Honda MAP sensor , what ever the value
assign it to be "local Ambient Barometric pressure "

for this test ;
lower voltage is better because it will show (lower pressure),
you will be searching for the vacuum hose position that yields the lowest value

there are charts that will give up voltage vs "pressure" values.
depending on which MAP or FuelTankPressuresensor you can scavenge from ...
a FuelTankPressure sensor will have better resolution .(differences will be easier to measure and see)

or use a real pressure transducer .
or a water filled vertical "U" shaped tube with the vacuum line on one end of the "U" permanent marker graduation s ...
either way , differences will not be large

winkosmosis 07-27-2009 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerohead (Post 117658)
The base pressure behind the 300 will essentially be at the same pressure as where the air separates.If the side tailpipe is within 6-inches of the tail,there may be little Delta-P between the two locations.Also,the side flow is dilluting the exhaust stream through mixing,which wouldn't necessarily occur behind the car,making it nastier for following motorists.

I think sending more concentrated exhaust to following cars is reason enough not to do it. It could be a pretty significant difference considering that cars intake air for the HVAC at the cowl... So someone drafting you would get your exhaust in the cabin.

Frank Lee 07-27-2009 11:09 PM

I usually smell smokers in the cars ahead of me (with all my windows up) before I see them!

matt36415 10-05-2012 07:21 PM

You could buy a length of flexible tube that is aluminium, like aic con ducting in a small diameter, clamp it on to your exhaust and locate it in different spots to test.

Cost would be small, easy to remove and no damage to car if you scrap it. Do an easy experiment and tell us what happens.

All research is good research.

arcosine 10-05-2012 09:32 PM

behind the back wheel would be a good spot.

aerohead 10-06-2012 02:24 PM

drafting

Quote:

Originally Posted by winkosmosis (Post 118043)
I think sending more concentrated exhaust to following cars is reason enough not to do it. It could be a pretty significant difference considering that cars intake air for the HVAC at the cowl... So someone drafting you would get your exhaust in the cabin.

One argument for forbidding NASCAR racers from routing the exhaust to the rear was essentially the same rationale.
In long lines of traffic on the track the exhaust would be sequestered within the ganged-wakes,concentrating as you moved further down the train of cars.
Without the dilution of the side slipstream,the gases could reach dangerous levels for the drivers.
I believe that all cars have exhaust to the driver's 'right',and open window ventilation on their 'left'.:rolleyes: