EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer (https://ecomodder.com/forum/opengauge-mpguino-fe-computer.html)
-   -   Reset / Lockup issues - causes? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/reset-lockup-issues-causes-6411.html)

gascort 12-13-2008 03:56 PM

Reset / Lockup issues - causes?

I'm experiencing random resets/lockups while driving. The farthest I've gone without one is maybe 3-4 km. Can a bad connection from the injectors or vss cause these issues? My connections are super crappy right now; I wanted to make sure everything works and that I have the right wires before I made them permanent.
My info:
I'm using the spiffie.org kit - version 1
I already read bbksw10's thread and looked it over...
I re-touched the solders that I could reach, but I don't know how to remove the solder from the lcd screen, so I can't get to many of them.

Right now I'm looking for my USB cable (It's disappeared) to reload the program from my PC and re-test. Thanks for the help if you have any input!:turtle:

gascort 12-13-2008 05:45 PM

Well, I went out for a test drive. Everything seemed to be working well, so I topped off the tank and made a quick rough adjustment of the VSS pulses/mile based on my 1.3mile trip to the station. I drove to the store, and my distance was almost spot-on. After I parked the car, I shut off and was flipping through the screens of the 'guino... and it reset!!!
argh, I haven't found the problem I guess, but from this I'm going to assume it has nothing to do with the injector or VSS inputs since these were both static when this reset occurred.

dcb 12-13-2008 06:22 PM

Do you have any way to interrogate the "fuses" that Kevin shipped with? Like what brownout level is it at? I've sent him an email that folks are having some issues with the kit, I hope you are all doing the same.

gascort 12-13-2008 06:29 PM

dcb, thanks for the help, but I don't understand what you're talking about. I have a multimeter and can test voltage and resistance at different points, don't get what you're meaning with the "fuses".
I have no idea what the brownout voltage is set to.
Matt

wyatt 12-19-2008 04:57 PM

Two possibilities that I can think of:
1) An interruption in power can cause a reset. I know with mine, it doesn't even take that, it just takes a low voltage (if I turn my high beams on). My solution will be to try getting power directly from the battery and see if that fixes things so it's not an either/or type of relationship. For you it probably isn't the lights, but what if it was something like the engine fan coming on momentarily dropping voltage and causing a reset.
2) When you are just sitting there in your car with your MPGuino on, you should try poking around behind the scenes. Mine had a lose component that needed re-soldered, but it was making a connection most of the time, making it really hard to detect until I sat down and individually wiggled them and found my bad soldering point.