EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   Retrofitting, Adding brake transmission-shift interlock? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/retrofitting-adding-brake-transmission-shift-interlock-29735.html)

101Volts 08-14-2014 11:01 AM

Retrofitting, Adding brake transmission-shift interlock?

I have a few cars that don't have this safety feature (yet at least!) I'm thinking of retrofitting them to add it. How can this be done? Cars in subject: Two 2000 Dodge Caravans (3.0 and 3.3 Litre) and the other two cars in my Garage section - 1984 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Sedan and 1990 Mercury Grand Marquis Wagon.

nemo 08-14-2014 09:19 PM

Why?

Frank Lee 08-14-2014 09:23 PM

^Took the word right outta my mouth.

vrmouseyd15b 08-14-2014 10:59 PM

I have a 95 town and country, and he's probably got the same issue - it's an automatic, and for some reason, you are able to pull the shifter out of park without the keys in the vechicle, ignition locked!

The interlock would require key on, brakes engaged to be able to get out of park.

Big safety concern with little kids who can't help but pull on things and push buttons, etc...

t vago 08-15-2014 10:35 AM

My 2005 Grand Caravan does have this feature (brake-shift interlock), and I am putting a lot of thought into ripping it out.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 08-15-2014 11:33 PM

Is that really necessary?

vrmouseyd15b 08-16-2014 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 440408)

If kids ride in it at all, I would say yes.

t vago 08-16-2014 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 440408)

As a father of 4 kids, I would say no. Those that would rely on mechanical junk to keep their kids safe, instead of... oh, I don't know... maybe actually SUPERVISING their children in the first place, should not either drive or have kids.

Simonas 08-16-2014 11:34 AM

I have a brilliant idea.

How about Americans start using the parking brake. You know, the little pedal on the left side. I still haven't figured out why people never seem to use them, even if they are at the top of a steep mountain road.

I'm not saying all American's don't use them, but I have yet to see any that do, and I scanned my memory a good bit before writing this.

Obviously, a kid could pull the release handle... Keep the kid out of the driver's seat...

I know that with manual parking brakes, you can pull the handle up hard enough that one has to either be very strong to push the button, or very strong to pull up on the handle to easily push the release ratchet button.

Another option is wheel chocks. If I remember correctly, they have worked quite faithfully for several centuries... maybe millennia.

oldtamiyaphile 08-16-2014 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simonas (Post 440502)
I know that with manual parking brakes, you can pull the handle up hard enough that one has to either be very strong to push the button, or very strong to pull up on the handle to easily push the release ratchet button.

Doing this on a regular basis will ruin the handbrake cables. Some newer cars have reverse springs in the park brake mechanism to prevent over tensioning.

101Volts 08-16-2014 01:35 PM

The point is: Little kids including ones who aren't closely related who may end up getting to a car while I'm not looking. I've seen at least five Rescue 911 episodes (Which are re-enactments of actual events though they did dramatize them a bit) in which little kids played around with car transmissions while the cars were on:

One nearly rammed a pregnant woman and a grocery store employee pushed her out of the way and was pinned between that car and the one he was loading up. (He recovered if I remember right.)
One nearly went into cross-traffic and a post-man stopped the car.
One DID go onto the road even though the parking brake was on (it failed) and a police man stopped it by blocking it with the car he was in.
One nearly went in traffic but a woman stopped it though she was run over in the process. (She recovered.)
I'm sure I can remember the fifth one too.
There's also a fictional movie in which a baby or toddler did that and a teenager on a skateboard crawled in through the sun-roof to stop the car; It would've been hit by a train otherwise.

I don't have kids around yet (I'm not even married) but I like the thought of having this in cars. That's while remembering to supervise them, The interlock is an extra provision. Thanks for the wheel-chocks suggestion, I do have some that can be used whether I stick this in said cars or not. However, I can think of situations where wheel-chocks aren't viable.

oldtamiyaphile 08-16-2014 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101Volts (Post 440517)
The point is: Little kids including ones who aren't closely related who may end up getting to a car while I'm not looking. I've seen at least five Rescue 911 episodes (Which are re-enactments of actual events though they did dramatize them a bit) in which little kids played around with car transmissions while the cars were on:

There are 250,000 registered passenger vehicles in the US. The show is likely based on at least 10 years worth of cases. At that rate, statistically, you've got a 1 in 500,000 chance of this happening.

Transmission and clutch interlocks (for manuals) aren't required elsewhere in the world.

But an interlock is only a solenoid. You'd need to find something like a spring loaded shaft that locks the shifter, the solenoid, some wire, fuse and a relay. Start at the junk yard. Newer interlocks prevent you from removing the key if the car's not in park, that would be harder to do.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 08-17-2014 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t vago (Post 440497)
As a father of 4 kids, I would say no. Those that would rely on mechanical junk to keep their kids safe, instead of... oh, I don't know... maybe actually SUPERVISING their children in the first place, should not either drive or have kids.

You know, nowadays some people seem to not know the difference between having a child and being a responsible parent, they try to throw their responsibilities away to the school, the baby-sitters, the television, and even to some random electromechanical safety feature because it's "easier".

nemo 08-17-2014 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101Volts (Post 440517)

I think the fact that the cars were running is a major part of the problem. Kid should not be left in cars unsupervised running or not.

101Volts I do applaud your wanting to do something about what you perceive as a possibly dangerous situation.

nemo 08-17-2014 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simonas (Post 440502)
I have a brilliant idea.

How about Americans start using the parking brake. You know, the little pedal on the left side. I still haven't figured out why people never seem to use them, even if they are at the top of a steep mountain road.

I wasn't taught to set the parking brake just leave it in gear (manual) unless on a steep hill. Started using it when I got my first car with a hand brake.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 08-19-2014 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nemo (Post 440682)
I wasn't taught to set the parking brake just leave it in gear (manual) unless on a steep hill. Started using it when I got my first car with a hand brake.

I always set the parking brake, no matter if it's in a hill or not. I have driven mostly manuals anyway.