Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2011, 03:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

99SL2AT - '99 Saturn SL2

Volvo - '04 Volvo V70 2.5T
I'M NEEEEWWWWWWW!! Saturn in WA state

Hey people! Been cruising around here for a few weeks, figured I'd join.
I have a 99 Saturn SL2/auto tranny for my DD. Kind of went the other way with the mods, now I'm looking to get some mileage out of it without completely un-doing some of it.

Previous mods include a cold air intake (best mod yet for performance - I can actually get on the freeway. Uphill, 30 to 70 mph). Before it would pull to a little over 4000 rpm and sound like a sewing machine on the verge of explosion.
Don't know what negative mpg effects it is causing- I plan to feed it some hot air.
Still have the stock intake I may throw on for a tank.

Alright - worst mod - for performance and mpg. My exhaust is much too large. I cruised around a couple Saturn forums looking for the best exhaust diameter to use for overall performance. Either I interpreted something wrong, or their application was completely different than mine, but 2.25" doesn't really work below 4000 rpm. Or I over did it with the mandrel bends welded together, glasspack replacing the resonator and 40 series Flowmaster.
My original plan was to run a tailpipe from the muffler all the way to the other side of the car to smooth out the exhaust tone (this is my theory why rice sounds horrible - no tail pipe, just a tip), and after the first few drives I thought I should step it down to 2".
I really don't want to redo the whole exhaust, so my question is this - Can I get enough bottom end back by putting an oem-style muffler back on? Or maybe a restrictor plate after the cat? I don't have a flange anywhere else.

Recent mods are an Ultra Gauge, brass ECT sensor -readings went from 141 degrees to 158. Front grille block brought readings to about 195. Finally got near the middle on the temp gauge.

Future plans include a manual tranny from a single cam car. My AT is having issues. P&G doesn't work so hot. Sometimes it gets confused when you put it back in drive and isn't sure what gear it should be in. I can't get in 4th gear below 32 to 35 mph and the lack of torque means more throttle position and it just hops back into 3rd so slow speeds are a little tricky.

I have material for a front air dam and side skirts, just trying to find time to work on it.

The 17 inch wheels and tires have to go, I think the tires have pretty horrible rolling resistance. My everyday driving like an idiot mileage numbers were about 26 mpg. It's about 30.8 right now, just tank to tank. I've had the Ultra gauge on for almost three tanks and just got it calibrated. We'll see how close it is. Reading 31.8 right now.

I just aligned the car. Pulled the camber up at all four corners and set the tires to 40psi.

I'm hoping to get 40mpg at some point. I think the tranny and wheel/ tire package will help most, then play with some more aero stuff.

Lots of good info on this site. I'm looking forward to some input from you guys.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-24-2011, 05:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

99SL2AT - '99 Saturn SL2

Volvo - '04 Volvo V70 2.5T
Spammed already?

Edit: problem seems to have been solved

Last edited by hoopty_yo; 04-24-2011 at 07:00 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread