EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModder Blog Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodder-blog-discussion.html)
-   -   “Revenge of the Electric Car” Coming in 2009 (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/revenge-electric-car-coming-2009-a-3660.html)

SVOboy 07-09-2008 07:36 PM

“Revenge of the Electric Car” Coming in 2009

From here: http://www.ecomodder.com/blog/2008/0...oming-in-2009/

http://www.ecomodder.com/blog/wp-con...c353072ccc.jpg

Quote:

I thought there was no better image to break the news of a new movie from the creators of “Who Killed the Electric Car?” than one of GM’s iconic EV1 dressed up as a crime scene. Besides being a great film, “Who Killed the Electric Car?” gave GM and other automakers a bad rap for killing off their EV projects. The good news for GM is that they’ve cleaned up their act with the highly anticipated Chevy Volt.

That’s also good news for the filmmaker, Chris Paine, who is now working on a film called “Revenge of the Electric Car.” If it were me, I would’ve called it something like “The Electric Car Strike Back” or “Return of the Electric Car,” but then I couldn’t hold a video camera still for the life of me.

Anyway, regardless of the name, the movie promises to be interesting and I’m excited to see what Chris thinks of all the new electric options coming to market soon (including those that already have). For those of you that haven’t seen the first movie yet, I’ve embedded part one (on youtube) below. You can follow along through the whole movie if you have the time. Enjoy!
YouTube - Who Killed the Electric Car? (Part 1 of 11)

MetroMPG 07-10-2008 08:29 AM

I think it's a little too early to proclaim that GM has cleaned up their act with the Volt.

Attempting to clean up their image, maybe.

We'll see how clean their act is later if/when the car is actually produced, and what happens with the rest of their lineup.

On the subject of the movie: looking forward to it!

dcb 07-10-2008 08:53 AM

No but it is a good PR/marketing strategy to keep things in a confused state. "see? We didn't kill it". We'll see how long it is till you can actually buy one, I'm sure it will be years.

They already had a working one and a market for it, and people willing to give them money, a case where market forces did not help one bit.

rmay635703 07-10-2008 07:18 PM

Yah and they still have the infastructure to make the EV1 in a matter of months not years, estimates were with volume the EV1 could easily be made in the 20k area lower with lead acid higher with nickle, I am quite certain if they were to offer the beast they would sell, I know I would have bought one if I could have.

Much like I would buy an insight if they still made them (used is just too expensive now :(

conradpdx 10-12-2008 11:07 AM

I don't believe the Volt hype either. Not too along ago they were promising a hydro car for release about now. Funny that that car has been forgotten. Rolling hydrogen fuel cells chassis with interchangeable body styles, all digital steering braking controls yadda yadda yadda.

As mentioned above they'd be better off just starting the production of the EV-1 if they were really doing all this for an automotive product. Unless by "product" you mean bail-outs and green-washing, then the Volt is perfect.

They've (GM) has cried wolf too many times for me take them seriously anymore when it comes to anything other than the combustion engine and how they're pushing the HP of the formentioned engines.

NeilBlanchard 10-13-2008 12:16 AM

Hi,

From what I hear on the news, GM may only have enough cash to stay in business for another year. And, if they do manage to start producing the Volt, they probably will have to sell it at a loss...so how long will GM last doing that?

The Atomic Ass 10-16-2008 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard (Post 66841)
Hi,

From what I hear on the news, GM may only have enough cash to stay in business for another year. And, if they do manage to start producing the Volt, they probably will have to sell it at a loss...so how long will GM last doing that?

GM hasn't had the cash to run for several years now. I used to work at a factory that produced automotive plastics, (85% of their business was GM), and as of 2005, (The year I left), GM was over a year behind on their bills. Which caused said business to go into chapter 11 last year, and close it's doors this year.

For the curious, it was Blackhawk Automotive Plastics.

aerohead 06-27-2009 01:59 PM

revenge

Wait 'til you see the clip they purchased from FOX and the Simpsons movie about eco-friendly cars in Springfield.You'll love it.

Cd 06-27-2009 07:19 PM

" That’s also good news for the filmmaker, Chris Paine, who is now working on a film called “Revenge of the Electric Car.” If it were me, I would’ve called it something like “The Electric Car Strike Back” or “Return of the Electric Car,” but then I couldn’t hold a video camera still for the life of me. "

I fully agree ! I think Revenge of The Electric Car sounds too much like Revenge of the Nerds .

NeilBlanchard 12-10-2010 08:56 AM

A year later than hoped, the trailer for "Revenge of the Electric Car" is out:

[youtube]jkRIu5a6Sb0[/youtube]

HPEV 12-13-2010 06:24 AM

Very Cool! I hope it is as good as "Who Killed The Electric Car" was!

NeilBlanchard 01-27-2012 04:55 PM

The full movie "The Revenge of the Electric Car" is available on DVD, or you can watch it on Hulu or iTunes.

Hulu - Revenge of the Electric Car - Watch the full movie now.

Buy The DVD

I just watched it on Hulu (while drafting on CarBEN EV5) and it is great fun.

redpoint5 02-01-2012 07:57 PM

Electric car exhibit sponsored by the automotive industry-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Bu5GMIp4U

NeilBlanchard 02-01-2012 10:58 PM

The 'Stig' (Ben Collins) drives the Nissan Leaf:

[youtube]-Q0x8onTErk[/youtube]

redpoint5 02-01-2012 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard (Post 284034)
The 'Stig' (Ben Collins) drives the Nissan Leaf

And he is still to embarrassed to reveal his identity.

NeilBlanchard 02-02-2012 11:16 AM

He's too embarrassed -- what makes you say that?

redpoint5 02-02-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard (Post 284135)
He's too embarrassed -- what makes you say that?

I always assume my sarcasm translates on the internets due to the absurdity, but I forget that some people truly are absurd. I'll add an emoticon next time ;)

kingsway 02-29-2012 12:49 PM

Some say he used to work for 'Top Gear' but...

bhut2180 03-28-2012 07:24 PM

Ive seen Who killed the Electric car, it seems crazy to me there wasnt more backing to keep cars like that on the road. And now that gas prices are rising, what kind of cars would we have if Saturn hadnt trashed it back then