EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Alternative Transportation (https://ecomodder.com/forum/alternative-transportation.html)
-   -   Riding behavior at stop lights (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/riding-behavior-stop-lights-1031.html)

Gone4 02-14-2008 02:14 PM

Riding behavior at stop lights

When you are at a stop light behind cars, do you feel free to ride up to the front of the line or do you always fall in behind the last car? I almost always fall in-line since I tend to act like a motor vehicle as much as possible, but sometimes this seems silly especially when I won't make it through the light in time because there are too many cars.

trebuchet03 02-14-2008 03:40 PM

For me, depends on the light and situation.

If the light is about to turn green as I approach a stack of cars - I'll stay in line.

If there's a wider paved shoulder - I'll move forward. I mean, cars pass me - so I'll pass them within the same space I'm riding in :D

If the light is going to be red for awhile, and there's a stack of cars... Typically, I'll lane split (if there's space) for a left turn lane and stop in front (still lane splitting).

If I didn't do this, there'd be quite a few pissed of people that miss their green because I can't mash up to 25mph in 3 seconds :p If I'm not going to lane split, I'm sure as hell not going to let people pass me while making a left turn :)

Lazarus 02-14-2008 09:40 PM

I lane split. For the same reason. I can't match the accleration so I ride on up so as not make a whole slew of drivers mad.:D

igo 02-14-2008 11:03 PM

My method is probably not the safest.

I will pass the line of cars on the right side and get up to the front (almost every time). Then I will stop at the red light and run it if it is clear. I don't run the red light on a busy intersection, but if it is a low traffic light I run it.

AndrewJ 02-14-2008 11:14 PM

I take the lane and wait in the traffic que every time. I want to be treated as any other vehicle on the road, so I may as well act like one. Sure, it's hard to sit in traffic, but I never ride on main traffic arteries much, so it's not that big of a deal.

roflwaffle 02-15-2008 05:00 PM

Lane split, which is legal here, or at least not illegal, then run the red on visible intersections if I don't see any cars after four to six long looks.

NoCO2 02-15-2008 11:28 PM

I base it on the situation. If it's low traffic and everyone is just coming to a stop so they will be stopped as I pass by, I go ahead. If they might start moving when I'm riding up to them, I might stay in line or go around depending on how much room I have. I'll admit I've done some pretty stupid stuff when it comes to traffic riding since I live in a pretty urban/congested area, but I try to be as safe as I can in most cases. I also have a bad habit of running lights that are semi-small or pretty un-congested. I also rarely stop at stop signs unless I see a car approaching that likely will pull out in front of me or I can't see if there is a car coming up to the sign.

Gone4 02-16-2008 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoCO2 (Post 9966)
I also rarely stop at stop signs unless I see a car approaching that likely will pull out in front of me or I can't see if there is a car coming up to the sign.

As much as I try to act like a motor vehicle, so I am respected as one, when I am in certain areas and I can see around the streets coming to the stop sign, I don't stop. I may stop pedaling and cruise through it, but it just takes too much energy to start again when you have a good pace.

Judging by the replies, at least I know I wasn't being stupid contemplating passing and waiting in traffic lines. I'll just take every situation as it comes and not feel bad about lane splitting when I do it, now.

Lazarus 02-16-2008 09:15 AM

I wish I could find the link but in CA where lane splitting is legal. The motorcycle deaths have gone down due to them not being rear ended.

roflwaffle 02-16-2008 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA CHP
Can motorcycle riders "split" lanes and ride between other vehicles?

Lane splitting by motorcycles is permissible but must be done in a safe and prudent manner.

From here.