EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   With the rising cost of fuel, police are... (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/rising-cost-fuel-police-10253.html)

Christ 09-19-2009 09:26 PM

With the rising cost of fuel, police are...

... being told to kill people instead of chasing them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moHJl...eature=related

Conveniently, the cops had lunch at Waffle House and let the Biker sleep it off in the back seat. :thumbup: (I don't know this for fact, but it seemed like a lighter way to display the video.)

dcb 09-19-2009 11:27 PM

I would like to know that they reserve such tactics for violent offenders, but there isn't much to go on, couldn't find much besides inflamed opinion on that incident. Certainly it is hard to justify that result for a minor traffic infraction, but if the guy causes someone else to wreck then??

It looks like the cop was going about 3mph at impact, might have actually stopped. You can see the rider is aware of the cop car fairly early, he moves left, cop matches, he cuts back right, cop matches, bam.

The fact that they were converging really cuts the decision time down, still a bad decision by the rider to get in a game of chicken with a squad car.

Here was a crappy deal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9FYvTXYNS8&feature=fvw

RH77 09-20-2009 12:10 AM

Chases and accidents are all well and good for entertainment, but cruiser vs. cycle may not fit the crime. The whole "Police Chase" needs to be examined.

There's a fine line between effective pursuit and endangering other motorists. On one hand, we just can't let a felon flee, but we can't endanger average drivers, so what do you do as a department?

Due to the fact that demolition derby vehicle availability has been reduced due to the "Clunkers" program, the sport has sadly left many talented drivers on the sidelines. Let us celebrate their abilities and get them back in the ring. Forget the fancy pit maneuver with expensive, new cruisers, maintaining a fleet of helicopters, or even costly spike strips... a good old thrashing from a few demo drivers in government-acquired '73 LTDs (they're out there), and the situation is diffused in moments -- for pennies on the dollar.

Everybody wins.

RH77

dcb 09-20-2009 12:17 AM

Yah, but without that annoying police chase announcer guy, you know the one, looks like Richard Simmons and Eric Estradas love child?

Christ 09-20-2009 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RH77 (Post 128753)
Chases and accidents are all well and good for entertainment, but cruiser vs. cycle may not fit the crime. The whole "Police Chase" needs to be examined.

There's a fine line between effective pursuit and endangering other motorists. On one hand, we just can't let a felon flee, but we can't endanger average drivers, so what do you do as a department?

Due to the fact that demolition derby vehicle availability has been reduced due to the "Clunkers" program, the sport has sadly left many talented drivers on the sidelines. Let us celebrate their abilities and get them back in the ring. Forget the fancy pit maneuver with expensive, new cruisers, maintaining a fleet of helicopters, or even costly spike strips... a good old thrashing from a few demo drivers in government-acquired '73 LTDs (they're out there), and the situation is diffused in moments -- for pennies on the dollar.

Everybody wins.

RH77

WHERE DO I SIGN UP?!?!?!

But, seriously... If noone noticed, the headline that I posted was actually the YouTube description of the video... and yes, DCB - that other one was a "right time, wrong place" sort of accident... I mean, it's very difficult to see motorcyclists at times as it is, but when they're in your blind area, at night, it's even worse... add to that the "necessity" to make an abrupt left turn across traffic to engage pursuit, and you've got yourself a good old-fashioned pig roast when someone catches it on video.

Not that there was really any reaction time, but two things should have happened there: The bike should have backed off and began evasive/defensive maneuvers, in case of something like that happening, and the officer should have given ample time between turning his lights/siren on and actually making the maneuver.

Of course, given proper reaction time, the bike and all other motorists should have cleared the path for the cruiser - that's just common knowledge, although it doesn't always happen.

In some cases, there isn't enough time, but I think there's a mandate that requires X time between turning the lights/sirens on and making a "normally illegal or dangerous" maneuver. I'll have to ask a few friends what they were trained to do in that situation, if they'll even answer such a question.

dcb 09-20-2009 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christ (Post 128755)
it's very difficult to see motorcyclists at times as it is,

I don't think I'm willing to concede that. I think it is a matter of priorities for all parties, I ride and I know what is at stake and do not (knock on wood) have a problem seeing motorcycles who are positioning themselves to be seen.

I appreciate it is more complicated than just that, but the bar could definitely be raised on taking more responsibility for seeing other motorists.

Christ 09-20-2009 12:41 AM

That would be why I said "At times". There are obviously times where they're positioned correctly in the lanes, wearing bright colors, riding an obvious cycle in an obvious way, etc.

There are also times where they're wearing black leathers at night on a somewhat quiet bike that's also painted black, chilling in the lane next to you in your blind spot and hanging with traffic or tailgating someone.

I always assume those riders are either new or stupid... or "Squid" riders.

I'm relatively sure that bikers get downright pissed at me, because if they're close enough to me that I can make out details on the bike in my rearview mirror, I slow down. Not for anyone's safety except their own, honestly. They usually pass me at 2.3 times the speed of light, as obnoxiously as possible, it seems.

I've never guessed those are experienced riders either... I always assumed that an experienced and responsible rider just wouldn't be riding my ass to begin with, so the whole situation would have been avoided, because I'd not have had to slow down.

I used to ride, and I'm still looking out for a decent 250-ish bike so I can get "back on the saddle", but I'm certainly not going to ride like many of the people I meet up with on the highways.

DCB - I'm not attempting to single out any one motorcyclist, and I hate making blanket statements, but by and large, the majority of riders that I've come across have been ridiculously ill-tempered and irresponsible. Maybe it's a paradoxical effect where I only notice the irresponsible riders because they're the most likely to draw attention to themselves?