EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Rising sea level, melting ice or...? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/rising-sea-level-melting-ice-31128.html)

ksa8907 02-02-2015 10:10 PM

Rising sea level, melting ice or...?

So the argument has always been that the warming trend melts the ice and makes the ocean rise. What about the water that is created from burning fossil fuels? Has anyone ever taken that into acount?

mwebb 02-02-2015 11:15 PM

creating more iced tea

so
operating under the HOAX of global warming

if / when the ice
in your glass of iced tea melts then

ultimately the level in your glass will
go up / increase

so
according to the GLOBAL WARMING HOAX
melting ice creates iced tea ? and ocean water ?

or
maybe they are just fabricating their test results (lying)
again / still / for many years now
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/1...l-warming.html
oh that's right
they are and have been fudging the test results and
in fact
we are having some
global cooling right now and for the past few years

al GORK is so concerned about the sea level rising that he bought an ocean front property right after foisting his HOAX upon the pudding heads of USA
the HOAX named "an inconvenient truth"
=============
so
best answer is
NO , none of the above

solution
stop drinking the koolaid

ksa8907 02-02-2015 11:20 PM

Im not saying I agree with the mainstream. Im just curious if this has ever been considered before. I have a hard time thinking that Im the first person to make the connection. That and just the thermal energy in general from burning things.

Also, glaciers are on land not water. On water they are icebergs.

ME_Andy 02-02-2015 11:24 PM

I've wondered how much the thermal E of combustion contributes, too. Probably insignificant compared to the total solar energy that hits the Earth.

mwebb 02-02-2015 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksa8907 (Post 466458)
Im not saying I agree with the mainstream. Im just curious if this has ever been considered before. I have a hard time thinking that Im the first person to make the connection. That and just the thermal energy in general from burning things.

Also, glaciers are on land not water. On water they are icebergs.

"So the argument has always been that the warming trend melts the ice and makes the ocean rise."

you did not specify glacier
but
shall we address that as well
yes
we shall
when and IF glaciers on land masses move or melt , the land under where the former glacier was
rises as in goes up relative to where it used to be with the ice on top
because the weight on it has been removed
think on that for a moment and then
tell me how that can result in
" rising sea level "
remember also
equal and opposite re action , something else shifted down as well

Gasoline Fumes 02-03-2015 12:44 AM

What about thermal expansion of the oceans?

redpoint5 02-03-2015 02:00 AM

From what I'm reading, burning 1 gallon of gasoline produces 8 pounds of water. Strangely, 8 pounds of water is about 1 gallon.

So, burning 1 gallon of gasoline produces 1 gallon of water and about 18 pounds of carbon dioxide.

89 million barrels of oil are consumed each day, and each barrel holds 42 gallons. That's 3,738,000,000 gallons of "new" water created each and every day!

Of course, you're wondering how many olympic-sized swimming pools that would fill, and the answer is 5,664.

IEA - Oil

1 gallon of gasoline · BlueSkyModel

Thermal expansion of the water is another good point to consider.

Even so, I'm not too concerned about sea level rise. There are much more immediate and tragic conditions that humans currently are subjected to that need attention (poverty, famine, war, disease).

markweatherill 02-03-2015 03:10 AM

So when the oil is removed from the Earth's crust, what fills that space where the oil used to be? I think that is where all that water is going.

I can solve the problem of CO2 pollution as well. Build taller chimneys.

jeff88 02-03-2015 04:45 AM

What happens when the fresh water from the melting ice dilutes the ocean salt water?

In other words, if you have a glass of salt water with an ice cube in it, what happens to the water level? This is for an iceberg simulation of course.

RedDevil 02-03-2015 05:18 AM

Floating ice is floating, so if it melts it won't change the level.
It weighs the same so it displaces as much water when it floats as when it is molten.

Omitting the effect of thermal expansion. Mind that up to 4°C / 39°F there is no expansion but contraction instead+ at 4°C water has its highest density.

Burning fossil fuel (hydrocarbons) releases not only water but also CO2.
Most of that will be absorbed by plants through photosynthesis, recreating hydrocarbons.
Plants need lots of water for that too for the hydrogen atoms.

So that's where the water goes. Back into fuel, if we use the plants for that. Or fossil fuel if we let it rot in swamps and such and cover it by new layers of earth crust and wait some million years.