EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Robert here with my new Justy (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/robert-here-my-new-justy-5097.html)

DrRoboto 09-14-2008 10:24 AM

Robert here with my new Justy

Hey all, my Accent finally bit the dust, and gave me an excuse to pick up a project. I've been a lurker here and on gassavers for a while, and now intend to join the community.

I just purchased a 1993 Subaru Justy. For those of you unfamiliar with the car, it's a compact four door, 3 cylinder on demand four wheel drive with a CVT. I got it for 1000 bucks Canadian. It has 90k on it, but the odometer rolls at 100k, :rolleyes:. The guy claims to be the original owner and doesn't seem like a giant ass, so in the end, who knows....

My end goal is to disconnect the rear axle from the rest of the drive train, and hook up a motor/generator to it with enough battery power for a day of city driving. This will allow me complete battery in the city, regen braking, and optional ICE backup for exhauseted batts/highway. Also, I hope to be able to rig up a system to allow use of combined ICE and electric four wheel drive to help move about in Canadian winters.

I want to create a vehicle that is more efficient and much more capable then anything available commercially at a fraction of the cost.

First things first though, I want to gain control of the CVT. I want to be able to control it manually, and I suspect this will be no easy task. There is very little information available online on this transmission. I haven't even been able to discover the max and min gear ratios yet. But if I am able to gain complete manual control over the transmission, I should be able to drastically increase fuel efficiency with constant acceleration close to best fuel/power ratio and all cruising at the absolute tallest gear. A final gear change my be necessary.

If anyone has any info please feel free. Gotta go now, I'll be back later, and with some pics in a couple days.

SVOboy 09-14-2008 11:17 AM

Sweet! A justy! Love those things.

They were kei, right? Any idea of their mileage rating?

Welcome to ecomodder!

RH77 09-14-2008 12:49 PM

The Justy!

Great car. I think you have the first Justy represented here.

Interesting -- a belt-driven CVT and AWD -- in a small package. I didn't know they made a 4-door model. This car has great possibilities!

Welcome to EM -- you'll find lots of ideas here for your project.

Best FE to you...:thumbup:

RH77

Bicycle Bob 09-14-2008 01:45 PM

Welcome, and congratulations on an interesting project. I thought that the point of a CVT was to allow programming that maximizes economy with a light throttle, and performance with a heavy foot. Presumably, that art has advanced overall in the years since yours was built. I hope it freewheels with negligible drag.