Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2020, 01:38 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
visibility to other motorists

GOOGLE might be a source for ' high-conspicuity' color and reflector schemes.
In the early 1970s, BMW experimented with paint jobs which were so visibly arresting, that to the viewer, they couldn't do anything but 'look' at the car.

JacobLeSann (11-11-2020)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-11-2020, 01:40 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Does anybody know if there are members on this forum who have done aero mods in Canada? I’d like to find some more clarity on regulations regarding heavy modification.
The Following User Says Thank You to JacobLeSann For This Useful Post:
aerohead (11-11-2020)
Old 11-11-2020, 01:48 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
mods in Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobLeSann View Post
Does anybody know if there are members on this forum who have done aero mods in Canada? I’d like to find some more clarity on regulations regarding heavy modification.
MetroMPG the Grand Poobah of EcoModder.com will be a font of aero info for Canada.
He coined CAD ( cardboard and duct- tape ) construction technique. His aero creations should be in museums!
freebeard (11-11-2020), JacobLeSann (11-11-2020)
Old 11-11-2020, 05:53 PM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanks again, I'll drop him a message maybe. Elaborate on this flying buttress idea, if you can, as I can't quite picture it right. It sounds interesting.

I'll check out that template generator when I get home from work. Looks like a good starting point for designing the future body shape. Waiting until I'm done my velomobile is a good idea, as it'll introduce me to careful body work and structure design, which will help a ton with future work on the car.
The Following User Says Thank You to JacobLeSann For This Useful Post:
aerohead (11-13-2020)
Old 11-11-2020, 06:04 PM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Ford GT:

Chevy Ridgeline

https://cars.typepad.com/.a/6a00d834...136c970c-800wi

My favorite is the VW GTI w-650:

https://www.carscoops.com/wp-content...d-gt-mecum.jpg

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
JacobLeSann (11-11-2020)
Old 11-11-2020, 07:20 PM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Here in Upstate New York we are very familiar with driving in deep snow. A smooth under carriage with at least 9 inches (230 mm) of ground clearance is recommended. A radiator block system is good and a modest chin spoiler of rigid material is helpful. Controlling the air flow over the roof and rear window is important. Ice build up behind the tires is common. If one gets stuck it is important to be able to clear snow away from the wheels and put down some type of traction material. Also remember the top speed will be less in winter conditions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grant-53 For This Useful Post:
JacobLeSann (11-11-2020)
Old 11-11-2020, 09:01 PM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I assume you mean to have buttresses with Lexan panels? If they were like those on the Ridgeline, I feel like they wouldn’t do anything for aerodynamics. Certainly look cool though, that Volkswagen is pretty sleek.

That’s a good note, snow clearing is of importance. I’ll take your word for the mods you listed, especially the underbody. What chin spoiler shape do you use?
Old 11-11-2020, 09:35 PM   #38 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Good point about snow buildup. Electric spat heaters?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (11-12-2020), JacobLeSann (11-12-2020)
Old 11-11-2020, 10:52 PM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
I assume you mean to have buttresses with Lexan panels?
Those are examples of external ducts. Here's an external duct that is not a flying buttress on a Ferrari.

They can be effective, the Ford GT reduces the effective cross section of the body toward the rear.

The GTI W-650 has an effective wing and a top speed of 300mph. It is essentially a bubble-top coupe with a buttressed wing that doesn't exceed the stock Golf envelope.

I think aerohead's example had sail panels instead of flying buttressses, pending his confirmation. Sail panels are like a shorty Kamm-back.

Old 11-12-2020, 05:33 AM   #40 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Huh, maybe I’m wrong, then. I assumed having the body split out into a buttress like that would create turbulence within the gaps, vs having a buttressed frame with panel covers. That’s an interesting idea.

Electrically-heated wheel spats seem like a good way to complicate a simple thing, no offence. I’m going to really study how and where snow builds up in the wheelwells and decide from there. It seems like there’s usually more buildup near the drive wheels, as they tend to spin out when losing traction. The rear wheels *seem* like they have less buildup. I want to determine just how much gets in there between the sides and the openings in front of and behind the wheels.

Is there a good thread available discussing grille block how-tos? I’d like to design a sliding block with a sheet of plastic and some spare bicycle shifter parts, but I’m not sure how to determine where the car needs most air.

Completely far-out, but I had a dream last night about a concept car. Single seater with a motorcycle engine, shaped like a wider velomobile meets a Cunningham C-4, but with a crazy airplane style cockpit. It had a variable height lift, which I used to ride up and out of the deep snow, and came back down to the lowest height after hitting the clean pavement. Maybe in 10 years I’ll pull that off, lol. Safety regulations be damned.

Reply  Post New Thread