EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Russia (good driving lesson for all) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/russia-good-driving-lesson-all-25237.html)

redneck 03-13-2013 11:21 PM

Russia (good driving lesson for all)

This is very graphic and disturbing, but it’s also a very good lesson for all; SLOW DOWN.

In Russia everyone has dash cameras you will see why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFkw5...layer_embedded

>

Frank Lee 03-13-2013 11:50 PM

There are tons of Russian dash cam crash compilations on you-tube- I suspected the cams must be mandatory there to get all that footage.

Some of them must have been lethal.

The pedestrians are just as fracking clueless as the motorists- no self-preservation instincts??? :eek:

Watch a few hours of these; the over-riding cause of most of the preventable nonsense is improper PASSING, followed by pretending that ice isn't slippery. :rolleyes:

The "most dangerous stretch of highway in MN" is actually a straight and level road in good condition; the reason it's "dangerous" (many accidents) is because of idiots feeling the need to pass. MNDOT correctly identified the problem and instead of making it a four lane as popularly demanded, they installed centerline anti-passing posts. Brilliant! :thumbup: Problem solved without throwing million$/mile at it.

MetroMPG 03-14-2013 07:40 AM

I've watched a pile of these too... disturbing. (Though they would have been a treasure trove of raw material back when I was teaching defensive driving!)

Frank - good analysis. Don't forget impaired too, including some of those pedestrians!

I've read the cams are a self-defense measure to protect owners from insurance fraud... not mandatory.

razor02097 03-14-2013 07:49 AM

"In America, you drive car. In Soviet Russia, car drives you" --Yakov Smirnoff

Cobb 03-14-2013 10:00 AM

One of my past times is watching those videos as well as Fails. :eek:

Seems many of those accidents are running of red lights and not driving definsively. The last week I drove to work I saw a utility truck drive onto the parkway with 5 mattress on top secured by one strap. I immediately signaled and moved over to the left lane. Yup, as he drove up to speed the top mattress started to flap and then they all spread across the lanes like a desk of cards dropped on the floor.

As I was watching in my rear view mirror the guy in front of me thought he saw an opportunity to get rear ended and slammed on the brakes. Good thing I had an eye on the road and a eye to the right as I switched lanes and floored it. :thumbup:

Reminds me on a time I was on a back road and this guy was going the speed limit with me in front of me. Like me, he didnt slow down or stop for rail road crossings like most do,or I thought. Well he came to a sudden stop on top of the tracks with no warning, no brake lights. I showed him, I whipped around out him and saw him pounding his steering wheel in my rear view mirror. :eek:

While you surf youtube, look up road rage. Its neat to see videos where people cut others off, race them as they try to pass and pull in front of people and slam on the brakes.

Ive always wondered when some cars in order for me to pass takes a good 10-15 mph increase to over take them when previously they were going slow.

jamesqf 03-14-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneck (Post 361282)
In Russia everyone has dash cameras you will see why.

So you can catch great picture of meteor fireballs, why else?

Arragonis 03-14-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesqf (Post 361354)
So you can catch great picture of meteor fireballs, why else?

Insurance.

wdb 03-14-2013 05:06 PM

I slid sideways to a stop last week because of an old person. She stopped at the crossroads, never looked, just started going again. I watch drivers' heads so I know she never turned at all, let alone turn my way. She just stopped, then went.

Why Russians have dash cams:
Why Do So Many Russian Drivers Have Dashboard Cams? | Mental Floss

larrybuck 03-14-2013 11:21 PM

A nice reminder not to visit Russia anytime soon.
Very live action! Anybody remember the old Signal 30 movie showing dead
contorted bodies and all done back in the early 60's???

razor02097 03-15-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larrybuck (Post 361454)
A nice reminder not to visit Russia anytime soon.
Very live action! Anybody remember the old Signal 30 movie showing dead
contorted bodies and all done back in the early 60's???

Red Asphalt?