EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   Sad Effort at Hypermiling A Hummer :( (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/sad-effort-hypermiling-hummer-32132.html)

DIMS 06-10-2015 05:30 PM

Sad Effort at Hypermiling A Hummer :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1_9o8kDS8U

dirtydave 06-10-2015 05:39 PM

He should have tried a little harder. nice vehicle for riots / going looting tho

Daox 06-10-2015 06:00 PM

Haha, entertaining but not at all educating. :)

Hersbird 06-10-2015 06:02 PM

Who buys the gas version of the H1? You spend 75k and don't check the $3000 option for the diesel?

bentring 06-10-2015 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtydave (Post 482880)
He should have tried a little harder. nice vehicle for riots / going looting tho

He should've simply tried. I think he actually went backwards with his aero mods...

oldtamiyaphile 06-10-2015 07:58 PM

I think he's just trying to get Clarkson's old job.

BabyDiesel 06-11-2015 10:31 AM

My thoughts.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...3/576/Wat8.jpg

PaleMelanesian 06-11-2015 12:04 PM

He's doing a whole series on living with a Hummer. He bought the gas version because the diesel engines tend to fail catastrophically.

Last week he took it to a race track. That was entertaining. I Raced My Hummer On An Actual Race Track

He also imported an R32 GTR from Japan, right hand drive.

Fat Charlie 06-11-2015 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian (Post 482981)
He's doing a whole series on living with a Hummer.

Civilians are funny. :rolleyes:

nimblemotors 06-11-2015 12:26 PM

Yep, same shtick, which I find entertaining, until it become too predictable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldtamiyaphile (Post 482899)
I think he's just trying to get Clarkson's old job.

elhigh 06-11-2015 01:37 PM

Demuro's shtick is that he's a writer, and sometimes an entertaining one. He does a lot of writing for Jalopnik.

His "hypermiling" was just driving slow, his aero had to be the crappiest tape job I've ever seen, and his cardboard skirts were just embarrassing. He couldn't have done a much poorer job without actively trying to make it worse.

This is what happens when you get the wrong kind of enthusiast writing about something. If he doesn't respect it, he's not going to give it a fair shake. He doesn't, and he didn't.

darcane 06-11-2015 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elhigh (Post 482988)
Demuro's shtick is that he's a writer, and sometimes an entertaining one. He does a lot of writing for Jalopnik.

His "hypermiling" was just driving slow, his aero had to be the crappiest tape job I've ever seen, and his cardboard skirts were just embarrassing. He couldn't have done a much poorer job without actively trying to make it worse.

This is what happens when you get the wrong kind of enthusiast writing about something. If he doesn't respect it, he's not going to give it a fair shake. He doesn't, and he didn't.

Given his previous video with the insight:
Here’s What Happened When I Went Hypermiling In a Honda Insight
I was expecting a little more effort on his part. While his primary goal is still clearly to make an entertaining video, he seemed to take it more seriously with the Insight.

Baltothewolf 06-11-2015 06:30 PM

What is the difference in the mpg between the diesel and gas versions?

Hersbird 06-11-2015 07:44 PM

I've seen diesel guys report 15-17 mpg at 65 mph

Baltothewolf 06-11-2015 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hersbird (Post 483029)
I've seen diesel guys report 15-17 mpg at 65 mph

Wow, I know my friends dad drove a H1 gas fully armored in Iraq and he said he got 8 on a good day!

Hersbird 06-12-2015 12:05 AM

The diesel was the old 6.5 which wasn't as powerful as a modern Duramax but they would do pretty well in a suburban or pickup economy wise. My aluminum, lightweight, 4 cylinder, 2wd mail truck on 14" tires gets 8 on a good day too. It's function over economy on both the mail truck and the military Hummers.

Sven7 06-12-2015 01:40 PM

I expressed disappointment in the comment section, and suggested using an air dam next time instead of just wasting tape. Unfortunately, his target audience also likes to make fun of what they think is hypermiling. It would have been really neat to see him spend a few hours aero-modding and make an effort.

Vman455 06-12-2015 04:17 PM

Well, that was an entertaining straw man.

ThePrudentNinja 07-05-2015 01:24 PM

Meh, the rolling turd (a big van) I have got 12 MPG average. Old V8 with a carb, seriously needed a tuneup. Aerodynamics of a brick. Still got 12MPG. I also drove it like I stole it lol. I did attempt better driving habits with it and squeezed out another 2MPG (for 14MPG average for a few trips). However due to bad aerodynamics, rough mechanical shape, bad rolling resistance, and automatic trans, wasn't much I could do. The car I borrowed after the rolling turd broke down (transmission went out) is so much more aerodynamically decent that it felt more like slicing through the air instead of pushing through the air like the rolling turd.

This guy could have squeezed out a few more MPGs with a hummer but it's sort of a losing battle. With the van I realized that even on my top game (driving), the best I could see was 2-3 MPG above average (which also used some hypermiling techniques, but not many). The true average MPG was like 8MPG. Sucked hard dumping in $60 a week to go to and from work lol (mostly city driving). In the borrowed car I'm averaging 26-30MPG (EPA estimated 24MPG). The new car (the red bean) seems to have an EPA estimated around 30MPG so I expect to be able to get about 35-38MPG without any mods to the car.

This guy didn't even try. I can tell by his results lol.

oldtamiyaphile 07-06-2015 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePrudentNinja (Post 485812)
This guy didn't even try. I can tell by his results lol.

I think you're under estimating just how bad a H1 really is. Aero is many times worse than any van, amazingly tortured underbody aero...
(vans are actually pretty good aerodynamically - a Ram Promaster has a 0.31cd - even old 70's vans were around 0.45 roughly the same as a current Jeep Wrangler), super wide (frontal area), off road tyres, constant AWD, portal axles (basically a gearbox on each wheel, auto (probably without lock up?).

Although my TJ Wrangler can beat EPA, it's not by much.

ThePrudentNinja 07-06-2015 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldtamiyaphile (Post 485867)
I think you're under estimating just how bad a H1 really is. Aero is many times worse than any van, amazingly tortured underbody aero...
(vans are actually pretty good aerodynamically - a Ram Promaster has a 0.31cd - even old 70's vans were around 0.45 roughly the same as a current Jeep Wrangler), super wide (frontal area), off road tyres, constant AWD, portal axles (basically a gearbox on each wheel, auto (probably without lock up?).

Although my TJ Wrangler can beat EPA, it's not by much.

Possibly. The Hummer wasn't designed with fuel economy in mind it seems. However if I could afford a Hummer, I bet I could squeeze out more MPGs than this guy did. Maybe nothing spectacular, but better at least. The van I have is not very graceful. Coating down a hill it loses speed fast unless you keep on the gas. It only "coasts" down very very steep hills lol. The car I'm currently borrowing until I get my hands on my new car gains speed down hills. I can't say how the van and the Hummer compare, but they have some things in common for sure. Point still is I bet in the hands of just about anyone on this forum, a Hummer would get better fuel economy.

Vman455 07-06-2015 06:22 PM

According to this Edmunds article, the H1 has a drag coefficient around .70, and this site estimates frontal area at between 37.0-39.5 square feet, depending which model. With its lightest curb weight of 7847 lbs, plugging that into the calculator with Crr .015 and engine efficiency at .25, spits out 12.6 mpg at 55 mph.

Xist 07-06-2015 08:54 PM

I have plenty of experience driving military vehicles, but even though I always tried to drive cars and even school buses efficiently, all that I know about military fuel efficiency is that my fuel truck was rated at having a 300-mile range on a 150-gallon tank.

Of course, being a fuel truck, you stop, fill up the entire convoy, and continue driving.

However, having driven military vehicles, I never want anything even slightly resembling one. The HMMWV is big on the outside, but small on the inside, and I need earplugs when I struggle to maintain 55 MPH on the freeway.

I am not fond of zipper windows, either. I wonder if any Soldier has ever successfully had that fixed through a work order. I think that you just "secure" another door.