EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycles / Scooters (https://ecomodder.com/forum/motorcycles-scooters.html)
-   -   saddlebags vs tailbag (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/saddlebags-vs-tailbag-26461.html)

Jonathan6229 07-23-2013 02:30 PM

saddlebags vs tailbag

So, I got an ex-500 as a commuter, and for my wife to ride. So far, if not done too many mods, just adding a 1 tooth to the front sprocket, and tuning it. I have saddlebags on it now, but should I mount a tailbag on it instead? and idea how much FE that difference is going the difference on that? I'm starting to think that it might be enough to worry about. Anyone have any first or second experience to validate that?

pacobeagle 07-23-2013 04:09 PM

I'm not sure, but on my Z1000 I use a Rapid Transit Tailbag. I like the fact that it's out of the air and not on my tank(for fear of scratching and/or refuel).

As for FE, I've lowered the rear sprocket from a 42T to a 39T and I'm saving for a 16T front. The OEM front is a 15T.

Jose

sendler 07-23-2013 09:15 PM

I use a solo "plank" style rack and bungies with a waterproof duffle bag. It is more aero than stock.
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...31645268_n.jpg

pacobeagle 07-23-2013 11:11 PM

Sendler-more pics please! Also, I lived in Liverpool from '89-'94. Great place to grow up.

Jose

basslover911 07-24-2013 09:16 AM

You can also get somewhat "aero" shaped saddle bags from Nelson Rigg (for very cheap i might add!) or others (they have that "teardrop" shape to them).

I state that because I HATE tail bags, especially since I ride an adventure bike. Its hard to get your leg above and over the bag in a gas station, it sucks even worse when you are on wet mud in the middle of nowhere. I use a backpack instead (VERY lightly packed, just mainly holding the valuables like laptop) and two small saddle bags. Also, saddle bags have a much lower center of gravity than a tail bag, helping preserve good handling.

jkv357 07-24-2013 10:11 AM

A tank bag and tail bag would be better than saddle bags.

The tank bag would help fill the low pressure area in front of you (behind the windscreen) and the tail bag would sit in your wake. Saddle bags would widen the rear and enlarge your wake.

Jonathan6229 07-24-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkv357 (Post 381878)
A tank bag and tail bag would be better than saddle bags.

The tank bag would help fill the low pressure area in front of you (behind the windscreen) and the tail bag would sit in your wake. Saddle bags would widen the rear and enlarge your wake.

but by how much? if you don't know just make up a number and I'll be happy. :) tell me like 5 MPG.

I ordered a tail trunk, and am fixing my front fairing right now.

jkv357 07-24-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan6229 (Post 381946)
but by how much? if you don't know just make up a number and I'll be happy. :) tell me like 5 MPG.

I ordered a tail trunk, and am fixing my front fairing right now.

OK - 5.72 MPG increase to be exact.

Sound good?

sendler 07-24-2013 06:43 PM

[QUOTE=Jonathan6229;381946]but by how much? QUOTE]
I have a Givi top box for my PCX scooter and it is a slight net loss of economy because of the seperation behind me. Maybe 4% at 50 mph. But I'm sure side bags would be worse. The solo luggage system on my CBR250R actually makes a slight improvement when I travel with the big duffle bag. My big plank is 27 inches long and the bag rests against my back so it forms a smooth tail with my body.

alvaro84 07-25-2013 12:40 AM

I think it's hard to tell, even if we had side bags on Ciliegia (Hyosung GV250) for a while. Even with a fuel log I can't tell, but it must have been good for FE to remove them and equip a GIVI top case instead.

I have a larger top case for Teresa, often use it, and simply can not measure its effect on FE. It's not the same as the 'I don't know' in the saddle bags' case, it's more like negligible.