EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Same Gas Station - Same Gas Pump - Better FE ??? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/same-gas-station-same-gas-pump-better-fe-5325.html)

BlackDeuceCoupe 09-30-2008 04:30 PM

Same Gas Station - Same Gas Pump - Better FE ???

I *think* I'm starting to see a trend! :cool:

If you look at BDC's Fuel Log - EcoModder.com ...

My ride's FE has been VERY consistent (and good) since I starting using QT gas.

QT is an official 'Top Tier' gas retailer - same quality as Chevron/Texaco, Shell, etc.

Article: QuikTrip Guaranteed Gasoline approved as Top Tier Gasoline

I've been filling up at same time of night - same gas station - same pump, yada, yada.

There could be several factors as to the consistency of my mileage - not the least of which is: the same gas pump is metering the exact same way, every time I fill my tank, e.g. using different pumps, different stations, different gas, is messing with my FE!

So, what do you think?

You can't really argue with success, but I'm trying to figure out WHY this is happening.

Might be a good 'lesson' in this somewhere, no?

BlackDeuceCoupe 10-02-2008 05:00 AM

WoW! Total silence!

Okay, now I'm taking it to the next level - Acetone!

I filled up my tank tonight and added 2 ounces of 100% Acetone... :thumbup:

I'll give Acetone a whirl for 1000 miles and see how that goes.

Since my FE is V consistent now, I'll add 1 ounce for every 4 gallons (approx. every 2 days of driving), and see if it makes a difference.

LoL! This Acetone is weird stuff...

I was wondering how I was going to store my 'kit' in the car without making a smelly mess of it.

Well, the Acetone itself doesn't smell bad, and by the time I put my gas cap back on, it had evaporated from the 'measuring cup'. I didn't even have to wipe anything down - it just cleaned itself up, like magic!

Heh! This is going to be fun!!! :)

BlackDeuceCoupe 10-02-2008 05:14 AM

BTW, while I'm thinking about it...

I'm NOT expecting this Acetone to do much!

In the scheme of things, 2 ounces of anything per 10 gallons of gasoline doesn't mean jack - and I don't expect this Acetone to be any different than, say, battery acid...

If I hadn't done so much research, I would have tossed half the (16 ounce) bottle down the hatch!

The Honda B16 motor is one of the most efficient engines ever made, so if this Acetone works, I'll be the most surprised guy on this web site... :rolleyes:

whitevette 10-02-2008 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackDeuceCoupe (Post 64740)
BTW, while I'm thinking about it...

I'm NOT expecting this Acetone to do much!

The Honda B16 motor is one of the most efficient engines ever made, so if this Acetone works, I'll be the most surprised guy on this web site... :rolleyes:

This acetone thing is really carrying too much weight for the tiny benefit the chemistry shows ... nothing. I'll be glad when you report your findings.... -whitevette

BlackDeuceCoupe 10-03-2008 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitevette (Post 64940)
This acetone thing is really carrying too much weight for the tiny benefit the chemistry shows ... nothing. I'll be glad when you report your findings.... -whitevette

Yeah, I'm uber-skeptical, but if I don't try it I'll never know. ;)

BlackDeuceCoupe 10-05-2008 10:21 AM

Well, I've been running my Acetone-powered CiViC around for a couple of days - only had a chance to clock, like, 50 miles of city driving since adding 2-ounces of 100% Acetone 'fingernail polish remover' to my fuel. :cool:

I don't want to make ANY declarations this early in the game, but I'll have to say it's starting up and running just fine. It *seems* to have smoothed out my high-compression, high-performance, B16A2 engine - which has been running rather edgy since I switched to regular gas a while back.

The Acetone makes my ride *feel* like I'm running premium gas again (which Honda recommends) although this is likely a placebo effect.

It's too early to say if my FE has been affected. I've mostly been attending meetings the last couple of days. However, I'll be back to my 88-mile daily commute this coming week, and we'll see how it goes.

Anyway, so far, so good! :thumbup:

BlackDeuceCoupe 10-10-2008 04:51 AM

OMG!!! :eek:

I think I'm in trouble...

Read the last 2 entries in my 'fuel log' - ACETONE #1 & ACETONE #2.

BDC's Fuel Log - EcoModder.com

Dude, I SOOO DO NOT want this Acetone to work... big time!

I *feel* like such a nerd, putting fingernail polish remover in my fuel tank!!! :rolleyes:

BlackDeuceCoupe 10-10-2008 05:28 AM

BTW, nobody is saying anything - however, I can tell (by the numbers) - there are a lot of 'lurkers' in this thread. :)

I don't blame you guys for being silent - there are zillions of these Acetone threads on the web, but...

I just wanted to assure you that I'm REALLY dumping Acetone down my tank - this isn't a fantasy!

I ran outside and took a snappy of my 'kit'...

http://www.lenon.com/images/Acetone_Proof.jpg

I got the 100% Acetone at a local Wal-Mart Superstore, in the 'Cosmetics Department' - $1.97/16 oz bottle. And, the plastic measuring cups are out of various protein powder cans. One is slightly less than an ounce - one is slightly more.

LoL!

See what I mean about *feeling* like a nerd?!?!? :cool:

wagonman76 10-10-2008 12:53 PM

My highest mpg was right after putting the acetone in too. Its possible that in cleaning out the engine, it burns the contaminants as fuel and therefore bumps up the mpg a tad.

BTW I use acetone in a metal can from the paint department, a long skinny trans fluid funnel, and a turkey baster. And keep a printed chart in my car for how much acetone to use based on the gallons I expect to put in.

BlackDeuceCoupe 10-21-2008 04:51 AM

Well...

I thought I should update this wierd but true thread. You never know who's lurking! :cool:

I'm getting some inconsistent results FE-wise, but my little rice racer has NEVER run so great, since I started adding Acetone to my gas!

First of all, let me go update my 'fuel log'...

Okay, I updated the log: BDC's Fuel Log - EcoModder.com

A couple of oddities happened since I started playing around with Acetone. For instance, QT has these little 'security stickers' on their pumps in my area, e.g. if the sticker is broken on the gas pump door, that means somebody has been inside. They do this because scammers were chipping the pumps, in this area, and stealing ppl's credit card numbers.

The pump I have been using had this weird creaking sound, like it was rusty, or something, when I pumped the gas. The seal has been broken, and the creak is gone, so I *suppose* somebody has replaced the meter, or whatever.

Since I got such a bad mileage reading on my 2nd Acetone 'top off', after the 'security seal' was broken, I decided to start using another pump!

Thought #2 - maybe I'm getting carried away with the Acetone, e.g. adding too much, so I started cutting back, and my mileage has started getting higher on every fill (see my 'fuel log').

Weirdness #3 - when I went to 'top off' tonight, QT had ALL THE PUMPS cordoned off with tape, and somebody (with a service truck) was messing with ALL THE PUMPS. Hello?!?!?

Anyway, my first impression is... a little Acetone goes a L-O-N-G ways!!!

The more Acetone I dump in my car, the better it runs - but the less mileage I get, sooo...

I'll keep adding less n' less Acetone until my mileage peaks, and it starts going the other direction... then, I'll add more n' more and see if it comes back up again. In other words, I'm seeking a 'happy median'.

LoL!

This is EXACTLY WHY I hoped Acetone would NOT make a difference... :rolleyes: