EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Saving@Home (https://ecomodder.com/forum/saving-home.html)
-   -   Saving water at home. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/saving-water-home-9332.html)

BeWaterWise Rep 07-22-2009 07:42 AM

Saving water at home.

"Conservation starts at home. Here is the link Water Saving Tips you will find some simple yet inexpensive techniques on saving water at home. Spread the word about conservation around.
"

Ryland 07-22-2009 10:02 AM

When I was younger we pumped all of our water by hand and had to ladle water out any time we wanted to use some, for drinking, washing, brushing teeth, it's not hard to save water, don't water your lawn, if you water your garden use a soaker hose or drip heads to get the water to the roots, brushing your teeth? fill up a glass, laundry can be done at a laundry mat with large front loader machines, you can get .5gpm shower heads for RV's, low flow dual flush toilets can pay for them selves in less then two years in water savings.

jonathan150cc 07-22-2009 03:25 PM

You can also adjust the float height of your toilet float to a level just above where you toilet will completely flush. It's not going to save a ton of water, but it will save some and it's free.

I agree with the watering the lawn thing. If you are going to water the lawn, use water from a rain barrel. That's what I use on my feeble garaden. I also use the same rain water when I wash the car. A little dust/pollen/rain spots don't warrant a wash. Wait until it's good and nasty. You'll also appreciate the wash more that way. If you keep a clean car, you wife will never notice when you do wash it. :)

Clev 07-22-2009 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathan150cc (Post 117069)
You can also adjust the float height of your toilet float to a level just above where you toilet will completely flush. It's not going to save a ton of water, but it will save some and it's free.

I have low-flows, and I set them at just the right level to where they'll flush away liquid waste but not solid waste. To flush solid waste, you just hold the handle an extra couple of seconds.

jonathan150cc 07-23-2009 07:56 AM

Yeah, we have one low flow and one standard. I pay more attention to the standard. The low-flow is great. I've considered getting one of those pressurized flushers that only use half the amount of water and can flushlike 10 bolling balls worth of waste.

Ryland 07-23-2009 10:46 AM

I did some checking on how much water we used when I was a kid and it looks like it was around 10 gallons per day for two adults and 3 kids, this included drinking, cooking, washing, everything other then baths that took around 5 gallons (filled with a bucket), so somehow as we've gotten older we've learned to waste more.

dremd 08-17-2009 02:10 PM

I've got 2 HET (high efficancy toilets) from Sams; if your on the fence about buying one; just do it. THEY ROCK. Flush way better than anything i've used before and use way less water. Highly recommended.

ECONORAM 10-16-2009 12:20 AM

I came across a more efficient water use in the shower out of necessity. Our old base house had so much hard water deposits in the shower head it was physically faster and better to fill a 2.5 gal bucket with water and dip a 1 qt pan into it and use that to wet myself down, then lather up, then rinse off. I shut the water off when the bucket fills up. I probably use about 3-3.5 gal this way, as I dip some water out to wet down before the bucket is full. We now have a different house with a good (clean) showerhead, but I still use the bucket method...