EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Saw a new EV fly past me today.. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/saw-new-ev-fly-past-me-today-2979.html)

Chris D. 06-11-2008 03:25 AM

Saw a new EV fly past me today..

this this deal out..

price vs range isn't exactly is a deal maker, but cool none the less:thumbup:

The one I saw was this model, green in color tho.

http://www.zapworld.com/files/imagec...dan-blue_0.jpg

http://www.zapworld.com/electric-veh...rs/xebra-sedan

FX2.3 06-11-2008 07:28 AM

funky lookin..

If I could afford one I'd get the zenn..

NoCO2 06-11-2008 09:01 AM

Hmm...3 wheels...third wheel in front...I'll pass thanks. But it would be a cool idea the other way around.

ebacherville 06-11-2008 10:10 AM

id get one if they doubled the range of it .. need a 60 mile a day range to get to work..and home after charging all day top speed could be a bit higher..like 50mph..

other wise all this is is a golf cart with a shell on it

NoCO2 06-11-2008 10:19 AM

actually, it's a velomobile with a motor and flipped the wrong way...

WaxyChicken 06-11-2008 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoCO2 (Post 33662)
Hmm...3 wheels...third wheel in front...I'll pass thanks. But it would be a cool idea the other way around.

I agree. it's my understanding that it's much more stable to have the third wheel in back.

But it's still cool lookin.

bennelson 06-12-2008 12:20 AM

I've ridden in one of those things,

It's pretty fun.

Why is it that everyone here totally pimps out their gas car, but then says how an electric vehicle like this isn't good enough?

What's our motto here? "If it ain't fixed, mod it!"

I bet half the people here could pimp out that ride for 50% more speed AND double the range.

ZENN is a slick little car, too. But If I had an electric just for "improving" I would try to get my hands on a Zap or a Citicar!

RH77 06-13-2008 04:38 PM

Top Gear tested the vehicle in London. Of course they don't favor "slow vehicles", so it didn't get high marks. IIRC, they commuted with a kid in a child-seat in the back, and it didn't work-out so good.

Cool idea maybe for one person to/from work. Handling may be quirky as noted.

RH77

Warhawk626 06-13-2008 05:57 PM

My favorite part..seating up to 4 (303 pounds)
Thats an average of 75 3/4 pounds.
Perfect for the 9 yr old who has everything? :rolleyes:

LostCause 06-13-2008 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaxyChicken (Post 33928)
I agree. it's my understanding that it's much more stable to have the third wheel in back.

2F1R and 1F2R are equally stable if designed correctly.

A 2F1R (tadpole) trike tends to have less stability during acceleration, but more stability during braking. It also tends to understeer during cornering. Since more force is generated during braking and traditional cars generally understeer, the 2F1R is more popular.

A 1F2R trike tends to have more stability during acceleration, but less stability during braking. It tends to oversteer during cornering.

I remember hearing about some type of controversy over Zap and its owner. I know they had quality issues with their cars, such as faulty weatherstripping and poor assembly, but I'm not sure what the issue was. If it went a little faster/further, I'd drive one. :)

- LostCause

Christopher Jordan 06-14-2008 04:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoCO2 (Post 33662)

Available now, according to the ad:

Christopher Jordan 06-14-2008 04:24 PM

And tricked out?

Christopher Jordan 06-14-2008 04:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Jordan (Post 34792)
tricked out?

Tricked out! (Eat your heart out Pimp My Ride! :D )

NoCO2 06-14-2008 07:01 PM

Yay, they got it right finally!!!

ihatejoefitz 06-14-2008 11:19 PM

I see one of the zap trucks almost everyday, pretty cool little vehicle.

I've noticed it has a motorcycle plate on it. Hmmm.

Christopher Jordan 06-15-2008 01:02 AM

After research; the rendering I posted was a project May 2007, several dead links later I found this link: http://www.spark-ev.com/ Sounds pretty much like it never passed the rendering. I might never know. Nice aerodynamic design. After all those Harley trike flips, my own clumsy flip on a delta trike, and and those Honda ATV trike flips; I can only hope these made it through public scrutiny.

fshagan 06-15-2008 03:13 AM

Wired Magazine did an expose on Zap:

http://www.wired.com/cars/futuretran...6-04/ff_zapped

The Xebra is the only car they are selling in any numbers, but they will be happy to take $100,000 from you in return for being named an exclusive distributor of their upcoming car, the ZapX:

Quote:

The all-electric crossover SUV due sometime in 2007 would not only produce 644 horsepower, rocketing it from 0 to 60 miles per hour in a Ferrari-esque 4.8 seconds, but would travel 350 miles on a single 10-minute charge.
Zap also claimed to have locked up distribution of the Smart car (even after Daimler Chrysler told it the deal was a no go) and that the Xebra has a top speed of 40 MPH and a range of 40 miles ... it has a top speed of 34 MPH and a range under 20 miles ... and stalls going up hills.

TomEV 06-16-2008 06:26 AM

The problem with modifying the ZENN is that it is a NEV, and legally can't do more than 25 MPH (35 in some places). Why spend time modding a car that will get you a ticket for going 26?

IMHO the reason NEVs are limited is not really for 'safety' (how many motorcycles are produced?) The real reason is that if a microcar such as the ZENN were legally allowed to go 45+ MPH, and had an actual, no BS 45 mile range they would be an ideal city-class vehicle, and would probably sell like hotcakes. Particularly in light of gas prices these days... Where are these microcars produced? I'll give you a hint - NOT the United States!

Since US manufacturers would rather fight the future, and seem unwilling to produce anything electric that has a chance of public appeal (the GEM etc. have their place, but too golf-cart like for most people to even consider), they continue to produce much the same thing they have been building since the '50s -AND make sure new city-class vehicles are prohibited by legislation. :mad:

The Xebra (some call it a ZAP because it is marketed by ZAP) is classed as an electric motorcycle, and doesn't have the same safety, etc. requirements that a 4-wheeled car has. Many people mod these so they can go faster (50 MPH or so) and I have heard claims that some have been modded to go more than 40 miles.

Biggest problem with the Xebra is quality control. Don't buy one if you want to just drive it. Almost everyone that has one reports mechanical and electrical problems severe enough to make it not work. Many dealers are able to fix the problems, but the best warranty is one you don't have to use. :thumbup:

greenitup 06-16-2008 01:25 PM

i heard that they are cheaply produced. They are cheaply manufactured in china 11,000 is pretty cheap for a new car. I'd need a little more range, and a bit more speed 45-50 would be nice.

fshagan 06-16-2008 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomEV (Post 35161)
The problem with modifying the ZENN is that it is a NEV, and legally can't do more than 25 MPH (35 in some places). Why spend time modding a car that will get you a ticket for going 26?

IMHO the reason NEVs are limited is not really for 'safety' (how many motorcycles are produced?) The real reason is that if a microcar such as the ZENN were legally allowed to go 45+ MPH, and had an actual, no BS 45 mile range they would be an ideal city-class vehicle, and would probably sell like hotcakes. Particularly in light of gas prices these days... Where are these microcars produced? I'll give you a hint - NOT the United States!

Since US manufacturers would rather fight the future, and seem unwilling to produce anything electric that has a chance of public appeal (the GEM etc. have their place, but too golf-cart like for most people to even consider), they continue to produce much the same thing they have been building since the '50s -AND make sure new city-class vehicles are prohibited by legislation. :mad:

You think the automakers are the ones who encouraged the safety equipment that makes "cars" much heavier than the NEVs, that are exempt from the regulations? The automakers fought, tooth and nail, every safety and emission requirement we forced on them, just as they have fought every mileage standard. The only time they produced high mileage cars in the mid 1980s was in response to consumer demand. When that waned, they produced what consumers were demanding, which were bigger, "safer" cars and trucks (and with oil at $13 a barrel, that kind of decision makes sense for those not concerned about the environment or national security).

The fact that these forums are full of people now is only in response to higher prices. Get gas back down to $2 a gallon, and everyone will be buying big trucks again, and the market for high mileage vehicles will once again tank.

Anyway, I doubt you mod a Xebra carry enough batteries to give it a 100 mile range at highway speeds. I haven't seen one in person, but one person I corresponded with bought one, and said you wouldn't feel safe going over 30 MPH in the thing. I seriously doubt you could add a few hundred pounds to it to extend the range.

TomEV 06-17-2008 01:25 AM

NEVs are certainly not exempt from regulations. The convenience of having small EV limits are quite convenient for automakers - 'prevents' them from having the ability to produce a viable city-class car. And since (as you stated) all that safety equipment costs so much and weighs too much, no wonder it won't all fit in a small, economical vehicle.

In short, they encourage 'safety' laws that suit their short term goals, and discourage legislation that might negatively affect it. If Big Auto could produce one car, and only that class of vehicle were allowed to be produced, and the competition was limited in some fashion by convenient legislation, they would probably be quite happy.

If legislation were passed to encourage the purchase of large SUVs (remember the $25k tax write off for heavy vehicles like the Hummer?) and that legislation made them relatively cheap to buy, there would be an instant market. Smaller SUVs are just an extension of that trend - Keep up with the Jonses. Clever marketing makes people believe they are safer. And since they are (were) hugely profitable, keep the propaganda machine running at full speed ahead!

Unfortunately, they glutted the market with large vehicles at the wrong time, and are in the same position they were in during the fuel crisis of the '70s - Unable to produce anything but a big vehicle, and tied to very slow production and engineering processes.

But sometimes things like tax legislation don't work out as well as intended. Big Three said hybrids were a flash in the pan, no good, wouldn't work, a small tax break won't help them sell all that complex, new technology anyway. No worries - Keep producing those behemoth vehicles - They're safer for your kids, after all. You wouldn't want to endanger your family! The minivan is old hat - Buy a SUV!

Interesting to see that US auto now has to license Hybrid technology from the competition to stay afloat in the game. Congress didn't come up with these laws by themselves - Auto lobbyists made sure they passed.

If Big Auto wanted to produce city-class vehicles (with appeal, moderate range, and speed) they could - they are produced and driven every day in Europe and Japan. Believe it or not, Europe has safety laws, as does Japan. They could ensure laws were passed to make certain types of vehicles were exempt, or at least kept up with current consumer desires - You don't see side air bags on a motorcycle... Or 5 MPH bumpers. Or safety belts.

As with motorcycles, there would have to be an implied operator consent that some classes of vehicles just wouldn't be as 'safe' as a Kenworth. They won't be for everyone (nor are motorcycles or semi-tractors) but at least there would be a choice. There are options in many small cars - Auto, manual, 1.5 liter or 2.0 liter engine, stereo, GPS, etc. - why not make '40 mile electric' an option in a Toyota Yaris or Ford Focus? People convert cars to have less range than that, and use them every day; certainly there would be a market. Technology exists to make a 'safe' vehicle with two to three times this range so 40 miles isn't much of a stretch - the EV1 and RAV4 are examples.

If someone chooses to buy a large vehicle - OK. If they want to buy a 50cc scooter - no problem. Want to buy a sports car that'll do 165 MPH? Sure! Have fun!

Why the 'special' problem when it comes to electric vehicles? Personally, I'd prefer to have the choice than be forced to buy a particular type of car because that's all that was available.

Christopher Jordan 06-17-2008 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomEV (Post 35161)
T
Biggest problem with the Xebra is quality control. Don't buy one if you want to just drive it. Almost everyone that has one reports mechanical and electrical problems severe enough to make it not work.

Uh oh! Well that Gizmo electric 3-wheel is still going strong. I saw those in use making pizza deliveries on the TV (The Green).