EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Instrumentation (https://ecomodder.com/forum/instrumentation.html)
-   -   Scan Gauge E (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/scan-gauge-e-26514.html)

alex16 07-29-2013 05:04 PM

Scan Gauge E

I keep searching for information about the scan gauge E. Has anyone tried this cheaper alternative to the scan gauge 2? I have torque but I really want something permanent in my car that automatically starts.

UltArc 07-29-2013 06:18 PM

SCii is well worth it, in my opinion. UG is good, and has its pros- but for a hard to articulate reason, I still love the SCii considerably more.

If you are interested in potentially "tuning" you could buy a tuner. I know they are very popular with the Mustang crowd, I imagine the Civic group has a similar following with them. (Usually tuners have the same functions)

MetroMPG 07-29-2013 06:24 PM

Tim did a comparison of the SGE to the SG when it came out...

ScanGauge-E Review and Comparison

cbaber 07-29-2013 07:02 PM

Retail for the SG-E is $99. If you look on eBay or even in the For Sale section of EcoModder, the going rate for used SG-II units is about $100-$120. Since the devices are so simple, with hardly anything that could wear or break, looking in the used market is a great way to save money and get all the features that come with the SG-II over the SG-E.

The main thing with SG-II vs SG-E is that you only get 2 gauges at a time with the SG-E. The gauges come into play for hardcore eco drivers. For example, if you have a grille block you need to monitor your water temperature. The factory gauges are not precise enough. You might also want to monitor engine load if you use DWL. Having 4 gauges vs 2 gauges is a major advantage, and well worth the extra money.

I was really looking at the SG-E before I realized how much data I wanted to monitor. I am in the process of deleting my alternator, so I need a way to monitor battery voltage accurately. I have a lean burn civic, and the SG-II allows you to program custom x gauges, one of which can be used as a lean burn indicator. It quickly became clear that screen real estate is very valuable, and I want all the space I can get. Spend a little extra money (or buy used) and get all the extra features that you are going to wish you had later on.

vskid3 07-29-2013 10:47 PM

I would recommend the Ultragauge in your situation. More gauges on screen at a time, better looking/easier to see display (to me, at least). Not to mention cheaper. This is where I had mine mounted in my Civic I used to have. It looks difficult to see, but I think the bottom right gauge was the only one I would have to move my head to see clearly (probably depends on your height and seating position).
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...25152837-1.jpg

I have a UG and SGII in my Escape Hybrid and I use Torque on my old phone in my Prius. The UG would hands down be my pick for a conventional vehicle. The SG only really beats it when you can use xgauges (which is does great in my Escape). Torque is a powerhouse, but as you said, is annoying to have to set up every time you get in the car.

alex16 07-29-2013 11:50 PM

I am going to experiment before purchasing a scan gauge, I will eventually purchase a used one from ebay but for now I am going to try using a permanent mounted cheap android tablet (60.00 new)+($7 12v charger) + obd2 to usb adapter (12.00, faster response time than bluetooth). I figure with a 7'' display I will have easy to read gauges and I can easily log fuel use. A cheap tablet might hold up with me leaving it on constantly, I know my cell phone is on from the minute I got it out of the box (about 2 years) and is very rarely powered off, and was kept in the Texas head where I logged a internal temperature over 120 degrees without any problems, so I doubt a tablet will have any trouble with the Pennsylvania heat. Just turn the screen off when the car is off with the torque app constantly on.