EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Instrumentation (https://ecomodder.com/forum/instrumentation.html)
-   -   scangauge fuel tank size accuracy (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/scangauge-fuel-tank-size-accuracy-11736.html)

alexander.foti 01-06-2010 05:26 PM

scangauge fuel tank size accuracy

Right. I have a scangauage 2 on my car which has a 9.6 gallon tank.

As the scangauge doesnt have high accuracy on fuel tank size measuremeant I have told it that its 10gallons as per the manual which says round up.

My Question is, does it affect the accuracy as , after a 10 or 20 fillups I have adjusted it to the point where my Miles to empty is now accurate.

Whereas before it used to say emtpy 30 miles before it was actually empty. it now correlates when its actually emtpy.

?
confused :(

luvit 01-06-2010 05:52 PM

i can't answer your question, but no matter what model of car i own, this makes me scratch my head:

when i'm on empty, i almost always pump 2 more gallons than the tank's rated size. -- i don't top off.

makes me mad or something.

alexander.foti 01-06-2010 05:54 PM

2 gallons! thats a lot!

When its really really emtpy I sometimes put in 2-3 liters more than the tank size which I attribute to the fuel pipe between the tank and the nozzle and between the engine and the tank.

luvit 01-06-2010 06:19 PM

i do this a lot.
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:x...to%2BEmpty.jpg

alexander.foti 01-06-2010 06:20 PM

heh same.

KITT222 01-06-2010 06:26 PM

Automakers alter the gas gauge in your car so even when its on E the car has a gallon or so left. I was driving my dads fiances Corolla the other day, and it was on E. I mentioned it, and she said the car has a few gallons left. In fact when I got off the side roads, and onto the highway the needle went up.

In your case I'd say to round it down to 9 gallons. That means range wont be accurate, but it wont be an overshot. I dont own a Scangauge, so I dont know if theres a .5 gallons, or not, but if there is, than go with 9.5 gallons.

alexander.foti 01-06-2010 06:27 PM

So essentially the mile to empty and rage is more accurate now with the tank size on 10 gallons?

cfg83 01-06-2010 06:40 PM

alexander.foti -

Since you are in the UK, I am assuming Imperial Gallons. Here's a trick that I haven't tried :

1 - 9.6 Imperial Gallons = 11.529 US Gallons = 43.642 liters (used this converter)

Code:

9.6  => 10 /  9.6  = 1.0416 => +4.2% tank size error
43.642 => 44 / 43.642 = 1.008  => +0.8% tank size error

2 - Switch to liter units. Enter tank size of 44. Switch back to gallons. You may see 9 or 10 gallons, I don't know. Switch back to liter to verify that the liter value of 44 stayed in the scangauge. If it does, then you should have a more accurate tank size.

I haven't tried this, but it's an easy test.

CarloSW2

Lazarus 01-06-2010 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexander.foti (Post 152452)
Right. I have a scangauage 2 on my car which has a 9.6 gallon tank.

As the scangauge doesnt have high accuracy on fuel tank size measuremeant I have told it that its 10gallons as per the manual which says round up.

My Question is, does it affect the accuracy as , after a 10 or 20 fillups I have adjusted it to the point where my Miles to empty is now accurate.

Whereas before it used to say emtpy 30 miles before it was actually empty. it now correlates when its actually emtpy.

?
confused :(

Not sure I understand the question but when you fill up the amount you put in the tank should match the amount of fuel used on the SG. Mine was accurate to within .1 gallon almost every fillup once I got it adjusted.

gone-ot 01-06-2010 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexander.foti (Post 152452)
As the scangauge doesnt have high accuracy on fuel tank size measuremeant I have told it that its 10 gallons as per the manual which says round up.

...uh, which SGII instructions are you reading and following (Ver 4.5, 5.0 or 5.1)?

...early versions mentioned comparing "percent" value, while the newest (ver 5.1) "Quick Setup" mentions comparing "gallons" fuel used.

...I'm sure the "gallons" method described in the "Quick Setup" pamphlet is the most accurate method.