Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2010, 10:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

CGVES - '99 Chrysler Grand Voyager ES
Using SGII to find converter lock-up release point

Hi,

just got my ScanGauge yesterday, and I have been playing a little with it.

I am trying to find a good indicator for how much throttle I can give without the AT releasing the torque converter. I have tried TPS (shows anywhere between 30 to 45 when the lock-up releases, depending on speed, I guess), LOD (about the same as TPS, but a little lower numbers), and MAP (always somewhere around 95-98 kPa as far as I have seen)

It seems that the MAP is the most accurate one so far, but I'm not certain that this is correct. What if I'm at a high altitude in bad weather? I guess the atmospheric pressure could go far below 95 kPa then (as 101.3 kPa is standard atmospheric pressure at sea level), and I think it still would release

Any ideas/thoughts?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-30-2010, 02:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Crimson Crawler - '04 Hyundai Elantra GLS
90 day: 36.71 mpg (US)
Not to dishearten even more (because I also want to know the same thing), but it may also be affected by transmission temperature. My car (I know, apples/oranges, but hey, they're both fruit) is MUCH more feisty about locking up when it's really hot outside than on a cool morning.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

True, didn't think of that.

I found and read in the service manual for my car (actually minivan, Chrysler Grand Voyager), and googled a bit too. It is possibly a function of a lot of things, like temp, torque, throttle, RPM, acceleration rate, barometric pressure, etc. which makes it pretty much impossible to find a good indicator...

I'll try some more and see if he MAP thing is somewhat consistent in normal driving conditions, or if I have to keep guessing and hoping in every hill
Old 06-30-2010, 11:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
halos.com

ECONORAM - '07 Dodge RAM 1500 QC SLT flex-fuel
90 day: 18.16 mpg (US)

the Avenger - '08 Dodge Avenger SXT
90 day: 27.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to ECONORAM
It could possibly be affected by engine load. I have noticed when driving my truck that if I have the cruise control engaged, the truck can go up to 100% load while climbing a hill. If I am using the throttle, I can only hit about 92% load before the tranny will downshift.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

The speed at which the lockup engages can be determined by watching the tachometer. On most cars the lockup release speed is usually approximately 5 MPH lower than the engage speed.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECONORAM View Post
I have noticed when driving my truck that if I have the cruise control engaged, the truck can go up to 100% load while climbing a hill. If I am using the throttle, I can only hit about 92% load before the tranny will downshift.
I have noticed something similar om my cruise as well a couple of times, but this was before I got the ScanGauge, so I don't have any numbers. Sometimes it will bleed off speed uphill to avoid releasing the TC or downshift, but other times it will downshift almost at once the speed drops below set. I have not found any pattern in this, though.

Reply  Post New Thread